44 mag vs 10mm for grizzly

I'm hoping the drop leg is the ticket. I want to make it as easy to carry so I always carry. Then it won't come off until I'm crawling into my sleeping bag!
I hope it works for you. The way I see it would be like shoving a cargo pocket on your pants leg full and dealing with that flopping around all day. Plus for long hikes, I think you’ll feel the extra weight on the one leg at the end of the day.

Actually, it would be you to determine what to carry. I frequent those woods and understand grizzlies from personal experience. You are certainly free to choose what you want, but you have to remember you don't have to worry about it if you aren't where the bears are...
Actually she shot it in the eye socket and got into the brain, their been a 9mm kill one year of a brown bear as well as a knife kill. Several with 10mm but a lot with the common 44 mag pistol here in Alaska. I have a neighbor a local baptist preacher while getting his moose out a Grizzly attacked him he put all 6 rounds of 44 mag into the mid section while under the bear. The Bear mauled him and he required several surgeries but survived and scared for life. The bear is on display full standing mount at the Fort Greeley Air Port Terminal with the six holes today. I could tell you a lot of bear stories living in Alaska good and bad.
As for holster the Diamond D chest holster is very popular here. I still have my old Bianchi hip leather holster and belt for both my SW 629 4” and G20.

Attachments

• 3139D158-02F9-416C-A067-0E85713DA345.png
    3139D158-02F9-416C-A067-0E85713DA345.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Actually she shot it in the eye socket and got into the brain, their been a 9mm kill one year of a brown bear as well as a knife kill. Several with 10mm but a lot with the common 44 mag pistol here in Alaska. I have a neighbor a local baptist preacher while getting his moose out a Grizzly attacked him he put all 6 rounds of 44 mag into the mid section while under the bear. The Bear mauled him and he required several surgeries but survived and scared for life. The bear is on display full standing mount at the Fort Greeley Air Port Terminal with the six holes today. I could tell you a lot of bear stories living in Alaska good and bad.
As for holster the Diamond D chest holster is very popular here. I still have my old Bianchi hip leather holster and belt for both my SW 629 4” and G20.
That seems to be the preferred carry for those in Alaska. You need to understand the most of the people answering the call are from the lower 48 and not within 1000 miles of a grizzly. All the authorities down here cling to bear spray. When my son worked for the Forest Service in Alaska, the first thing they qualified with was a 338 magnum rifle at a moving bear target, much like the original OP.

A friend of mine moose hunts up there every year and that is how he and his hunting partners carry. You have a better chance at getting to that pistol on your chest than anywhere else due to the nature of a bear attack and how easily you can get to that gun under most dire circumstances.

Grew up in NC mountains as a teenager chased bears with plott hounds and a 30-30 win 94 I still have in the 70’s.

Yes, but opinions mostly about firearm preferences and characteristics than about grizzly "bear aware" or assault strategy.
My question..
Been looking at the glock 10 mm with hot bear loads for a back up in case a grizzly decides to invade my space. My gun shop owner says 44 mag over the 10 mm. He's a WY resident and says the 10 mm hype is just that. Im about having close to 3x the firepower vs a wheel gun....what say ye?

My question..
Been looking at the glock 10 mm with hot bear loads for a back up in case a grizzly decides to invade my space. My gun shop owner says 44 mag over the 10 mm. He's a WY resident and says the 10 mm hype is just that. Im about having close to 3x the firepower vs a wheel gun....what say ye?

10mm penetrated 2" deeper in this guys test. Do you shoot revolvers often/well? A semi auto is undoubtedly best for self defense. Which is what you're looking for right? If you're looking for a hunting gun, a 44 mag would be a better choice.

10mm give you faster follow up shots, 3x the rounds, and most people shoot them much better than revolvers. Revolvers are significantly heavier also.

Edit: The rounds in this test were expanding bullets, typically for a bear round you're using solids to get as much penetration as possible. A 44 mag will typically penetrate further, but at the expense of weight, recoil, and capacity.

Last edited:
My question..
Sorry; I can't offer a good answer. I do own several pistols ... but I know a hellava lot more about bear behavior than about pistols.

Many opinions..great discussion..

Objectively, I can say I have a S&W 329 PD that I like a lot. I like shooting pistols, but am far from an expert. I also am vaguely familiar with bear behavior. When I carry for bear protection I carry the 329 PD.

Subjectively, in some opinions, I have a micro-wang and am full of chit.

I’ll leave it up to you to decide if correlation also means causality.

Sorry; I can't offer a good answer. I do own several pistols ... but I know a hellava lot more about bear behavior than about pistols.
What are your recommendations for a chance encounter. Lets say bumpin into a boar or sow and also a sow with cubs? Ive seen too many pissed off people walk right through mace Yes I know bear spray is much stronger the point is I have also heard of bears doing the same. OHHH I'll have it and use it all the while aiming at the bruin in case it fails.

New guy here! might have some worthy input shot a bear with a 44 in 2007 that was mauling my buddy so the 44 does work i purchased a 10mm for my wife to carry while in bear country because she shoots it better with more control then the 44! I shoot 305 grain bear loads out of the 44 and they work amazing

New guy here! might have some worthy input shot a bear with a 44 in 2007 that was mauling my buddy so the 44 does work i purchased a 10mm for my wife to carry while in bear country because she shoots it better with more control then the 44! I shoot 305 grain bear loads out of the 44 and they work amazing
Story covered by local papers?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back