Yeti GOBOX Collection

44 mag vs 10mm for grizzly

I woke up from a nap in Naknek Alaska and looked out the window to see this bear in the yard. I slid the window open abruptly with the bear 20 feet away. Either me chewing him out or perhaps the sight of my shirtless chest scared him and he ran off like a sissy. No shots fired.20220718_063944_resized_20220718-081710.jpg

I woke up from a nap in Naknek Alaska and looked out the window to see this bear in the yard. I slid the window open abruptly with the bear 20 feet away. Either me chewing him out or perhaps the sight of my shirtless chest scared him and he ran off like a sissy. No shots fired.
Probably wanting to know the specs and asking price of the OBS behind him, like I would be. 👀(y)

Bears can cover serious ground in a blink. 10mm marketing vs the 44 mag power? I would want to connect on one good shot than hope you have time to put multiple less than effective shots into a mean and fast apex predator. Whatever you choose, practice and carry it accessible. Just like a bad guy, every moment counts.

It probably really doesn’t matter which cartridge you use….

I’d fathom to actually stop the animal right now you have to hit the little 3-4” triangle center of the forehead.

Anything else is fantasy land….

Accuracy is always final.

I’ll vote for the revolver. The only man I know who once killed a grizzly in defense told me this about what kind of gun to carry for bears, he said “you only need 2 bullets, one for the bear and the other for yourself if the first one didn’t do the trick!”

I woke up from a nap in Naknek Alaska and looked out the window to see this bear in the yard. I slid the window open abruptly with the bear 20 feet away. Either me chewing him out or perhaps the sight of my shirtless chest scared him and he ran off like a sissy. No shots fired.View attachment 263670
Those fish-stuffed brown bears are big but they have the temperament of a fat guy at the Golden Corral chocolate fountain. The interior grizzlies down here are more like an Indiana truck stop crackhead. Sure they'll probably run but if they don't you're in for a rude awakening.

Those fish-stuffed brown bears are big but they have the temperament of a fat guy at the Golden Corral chocolate fountain. The interior grizzlies down here are more like an Indiana truck stop crackhead. Sure they'll probably run but if they don't you're in for a rude awakening.

I have been around both and I agree. I think it is worth noting that the vast majority of the pepper spray testing has been done on the fish stuffed fat guys.

Unless you're a bullseye champion a handgun is just a glorified security blanket anyway.
Buy whatever's on sale, shoot a box of shells a month, and pay more attention when you're outside.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure in bear country.

I think it was shared already, but read the study below if you think pistols are not worth carrying. It looks like even a 22 has been successful 6 out of 7 times for preventing an attack.

I’ll vote for the revolver. The only man I know who once killed a grizzly in defense told me this about what kind of gun to carry for bears, he said “you only need 2 bullets, one for the bear and the other for yourself if the first one didn’t do the trick!”

Boy, if I had a nickel for every time I've heard that one :ROFLMAO:

...and I'll take a nickel for "File off the front sight..."

...and another nickel for "You only have to outrun your buddy..."

The old camera take was, "the best camera is the one you will actually carry around and know how to use". I think the same is true with guns. If you don't mind practicing with a .44mag and are consistently proficient even in unstable shooting positions then you get some extra power. But if the kick has you very rarely practicing and you have a hard time shooting it with one hand and an awkward stance, or are erratic on paper even two-handed and squared up, then a 10mm will give you a more manageable tool to become proficient with.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back