44 mag vs 10mm for grizzly

I really like the M&P but I DONT like the no safety feature. My dad just got a HK with the safety AND decocking mechanism. I think it’s a really sharp piece.
You can get one with a safety. I've gotten used to not having a safety on my concealed carry so didn't want to change it up for a bear sidearm. It lives in the holster with a round in the chamber until it's time to shoot! They're not touchy triggers at all. You have to make a pretty good effort to pull it.

You can get one with a safety. I've gotten used to not having a safety on my concealed carry so didn't want to change it up for a bear sidearm. It lives in the holster with a round in the chamber until it's time to shoot! They're not touchy triggers at all. You have to make a pretty good effort to pull it.
What kind of holster did you say you’re currently sporting? You’re not worried a bit about a compassionate squeeze when drawing? I overthink it probably, but when I had my pack of 4 coyotes within kicking distance my bow was on the ground and sidearm drawn cocked and bucking within like 1.5 seconds 😂😭

What kind of holster did you say you’re currently sporting? You’re not worried a bit about a compassionate squeeze when drawing? I overthink it probably, but when I had my pack of 4 coyotes within kicking distance my bow was on the ground and sidearm drawn cocked and bucking within like 1.5 seconds 😂😭
Is just a kydex holster, it clicks in place and I can adjust the tension. When I draw my pointer isn't in the trigger guard. It only goes into the guard once the sights are aligned!

Never having shot at a grizzly, I wouldn't really know! I assume you have shot at one in the head!
Yes I have shot a grizzly in the head. The stories of bullets ricocheting are mostly wives tales. It is curious how many people know so much about something they have never done.

This was a 7 foot grizzly and I shot it with a 25-35, hardly a magnum and no ricochet…

F95126E4-8EEE-4C28-BC50-6DEF6C74F6C9.jpeg

Yes I have shot a grizzly in the head. The stories of bullets ricocheting are mostly wives tales. It is curious how many people know so much about something they have never done.

This was a 7 foot grizzly and I shot it with a 25-35, hardly a magnum and no ricochet…

View attachment 262843
Nice. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know a bears head is not made of kryptonite.

I worked on the Gallatin National Forest from 1978 through 2007. I was in the Engineering office in Bozeman, but I regularly worked with the people on the Districts.

The biologist on the Gardiner Distsrict (which is just north of Yellowstone NP) was also in charge of that district's trail program that included many miles of trails in Absoroka-Beartooth Wilderness.

As the District wildlife biologist he was very interested in the grizzly bears in that area, so he supplied his trail crews with zip lock plastic bags and had them collect all of the bear poop that they came across doing their trail work.

His office was in the basement of the Gardner Ranger Station, and he had a cafeteria size table in it that was completly covered with sacks of bear poop that he would later study.
GOT ANY PHOTOS????o_O:poop::p just kidding.

View attachment 262843
Very nice. I assume trhe next time you hunt grizzly country you'll be using your 25-35! Proven bear killer. BTW remember a little old Indian lady in Canada killed the then #1 grizzly with a single shot RF rifle 22 using 22 longs and one shot to the head put it down! I wouldn't try that but you might!

Very nice. I assume trhe next time you hunt grizzly country you'll be using your 25-35! Proven bear killer. BTW remember a little old Indian lady in Canada killed the then #1 grizzly with a single shot RF rifle 22 using 22 longs and one shot to the head put it down! I wouldn't try that but you might!
Actually, it would be you to determine what to carry. I frequent those woods and understand grizzlies from personal experience. You are certainly free to choose what you want, but you have to remember you don't have to worry about it if you aren't where the bears are...

I haven't followed all thru but personally I'd go a sawn off double barreled shotgun in a swivel over the neck in front loaded with solids.

I knew several guys up there that did just that. Don'tt know any that ever had to use it. You should see if you can find a copy of Alaska bear talles and read it, pretty good book. But as I learned on here, it's full of crap!

Dang I like that... I'd be curious how they are to draw from!

My only dislike is I'm not always wearing my Bino harness. So if I was quartering an animal I typically take it off.
That’s where a lightweight OWB in the pack would come in handy. Just slip on belt when you start the field care.

That’s where a lightweight OWB in the pack would come in handy. Just slip on belt when you start the field care.
I'm hoping the drop leg is the ticket. I want to make it as easy to carry so I always carry. Then it won't come off until I'm crawling into my sleeping bag!

I'm hoping the drop leg is the ticket. I want to make it as easy to carry so I always carry. Then it won't come off until I'm crawling into my sleeping bag!
I think a drop leg holster would be uncomfortable for hiking all day, just my opinion. I’ve tried a few different options and the Kenai chest holster is by far my favorite. Fits under a bino harness easily or can go on its own for fishing or summer hiking.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back