44 mag vs 10mm for grizzly

Doesn't matter ... you'll never get it out of your holster. 44 mag vs 11mm vs bazooka ... it just doesn't matter.

(Critical factor is the partner behind you with bear spray at the ready, or as in the case of the two wrestling teammates in Wyoming, ready to punch that bear in the snout!)
I’m not handy enough with pistol, plus they are heavy and acquired. The adrenaline will be rushing and I’d probably shoot myself. The one thing about spray is that it casts a wide net.

I’m not handy enough with pistol, plus they are heavy and acquired. The adrenaline will be rushing and I’d probably shoot myself. The one thing about spray is that it casts a wide net.
Get. Training. I shot a defensive handgun course with my G20 last summer. A lot of value in training with what you plan on using.

Credence only to those experienced in the field. Excellent marksmanship placing pistol rounds in the red bullseye of a fixed paper target or pop-ups is a far cry from facing the fiery red eyes of a quick and nimble grizzly bear. As pointed out, in most grizzly encounters there isn't even enough time to unsnap the holster, let alone draw, carefully aim, and fire.

40 years carrying a pistol on duty and in the trail. Mostly with just 2 pistols for the trail my SW 629 44mag 4” and then when Glock introduced the G20. My duty pistol was a G22. Today still have both my G20 and 629 after bear charging training by far the G20 was my favorite and it’s what I carry today.
The big Bores were tested but excessive recoil prevented accurate shots on advancing Bear and fewer shots. I will draw the line at 44 mag as the largest needed. The G20 probably the most popular handgun in Alaska.

I heard a recent first hand account of a kodiak bear vs 10mm. The hunter makes a shot on a bear, bear balls up and rolls into the brush. They assumed it was a dead bear, but it was a poor shot. The hunter along with two others go look for it. One is packing a 460, the other with a 10mm. The bear came at them, the hunter shot it again with a 338UM, it kept coming, his buddy follow up with 2 shots with his 460 to the chest. Bear kept coming. The guy with the 10mm ran for the boat... when asked why he didn't shoot, he said after seeing the 460 not fazing the bear, he decided it was best to GTFO :D Hunter finished with a rifle shot. It wasn't a big bear either.

I heard a recent first hand account of a kodiak bear vs 10mm. The hunter makes a shot on a bear, bear balls up and rolls into the brush. They assumed it was a dead bear, but it was a poor shot. The hunter along with two others go look for it. One is packing a 460, the other with a 10mm. The bear came at them, the hunter shot it again with a 338UM, it kept coming, his buddy follow up with 2 shots with his 460 to the chest. Bear kept coming. The guy with the 10mm ran for the boat... when asked why he didn't shoot, he said after seeing the 460 not fazing the bear, he decided it was best to GTFO :D Hunter finished with a rifle shot. It wasn't a big bear either.
To be fair, the 10mm is the Thinking Man's Cartridge.

Well......................... based on my first Brown Bear super close encounter, my broken and returned for repair Springfield 10 mm would have been useless even if in my possession.

I was walking out to a beach point with about a 40ft sheer cliff drop down to the beach, in order to be able to look up and down the beach for bears. About 25 yards from the point I noticed hairs blowing in the wind from the bear that was sleeping on this point. It was a serious point with cliffs, that bear was not going towards the ocean in retreat.

It took about what felt like a millisecond for said bear to wake up and look at me. Hilarity ensued as I back peddled like a foot ball defensive back in order to give said bear enough room to give it a choice to run away to my right, or at least just run me over vs. giving me the ass kicking I probably deserved.

When all was said and done. The bear jumped up and started heading straight towards me in several bounds. I remember clearly it finally looking to to my left and finally seeing my brother. It turned and headed to our right along the beach cliff. My brother(resident next of kin guide) was at full draw of rifle, chambered, yelling " not a shooter, don't shoot". Which was hysterical, because all I did was back peddle and never even jerked my rifle off the gun bearer or even chambered it.

I've been very disappointed in my total actions, I always thought I'd be like an old west gun slinger, I was not.........

Last edited:
Well......................... based on my first Brown Bear super close encounter, my broken and returned for repair Springfield 10 mm would have been useless even if in my possession.

I was walking out to a beach point with about a 40ft sheer cliff drop down to the beach, in order to be able to look up and down the beach for bears. About 25 yards from the point I noticed hairs blowing in the wind from the bear that was sleeping on this point. It was a serious point with cliffs, that bear was not going towards the ocean in retreat.

It took about what felt like a millisecond for said bear to wake up and look at me. Hilarity ensued as I back peddled like a foot ball defensive back in order to give said bear enough room to give it a choice to run away to my right, or at least just run me over vs. giving me the ass kicking I probably deserved.

When all was said and done. The bear jumped up and started heading straight towards me in several bounds. I remember clearly it finally looking to to my left and finally seeing my brother. It turned and headed to our right along the beach cliff. My brother(resident next of kin guide) was at full draw of rifle, chambered, yelling " not a shooter, don't shoot". Which was hysterical, because all I did was back peddle and never even jerked my rifle off the gun bearer or even chambered it.

I've been very disappointed in my total actions, I always thought I'd be like an old west gun slinger, I was not.........
Sometimes things happen so fast a long gun is too slow and the bear is on you. This happen to my preacher while dressing his moose and handgun with all six rounds entered the bear midsection at point blank range while he was under the bear. He survived the attack many stitches. And the Grizzly is full mounted on display standing in Fort Greeley Airport terminal with the six holes !

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back