Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

410 breaks archery

Was out opening weekend...think everyone else was too. It was busy. Typical opener, elk were bugling a little opening morning, but it didn't take long and they were running with their ass on fire. Saturday night and Sunday was dead quiet and the rain set in sunday night. Didn't even try on Monday. Not lazy, just know better. The guys I saw coming and going on their atv or SxS were slinging the mud and looked pretty miserable. Roads were a rutted mess on Tuesday late afternoon when we tried it. Haven't been out there since. Bugs weren't horrible all the time...seen it worse, but plenty of gnats & skeeters to be annoying.

Not sure what others were seeing, but I saw quite a few bulls which is good, but everything we saw were small 6x6. Nothing that would crack 300". I know they are there, but man, is the quality in 410 dropping? Just curious if others are seeing the same?

It does seem like the quality has dropped in 410 Lewis. But there are still some big Bulls

so far i have made it down there twice since opener and all the elk i have seen so far have been pushed or at a flat out run so im hoping once i get to know the lay of the land better i can find some elk not being chased

pics didn't upload from previous post.

From our trip to 410 last year. Sept 18th - 26th

called in out of the willows

elk_willows.jpg

if you can take an afternoon off from chasing elk the Musselshell will feed you all week for free.

catfish_montana.jpg

I'll be looking to make another trip next year...maybe. Only thing stopping me would be to just see other parts of Montana.

Heading out there Monday for a 2 week stretch...I've heard it's been a slow to get going. Hope they are on fire for the last two weeks of September. I'm jacked up

FYI there will be a contractor up near the corner of Skyline and Horse Camp Road cutting encroachment juniper and ponderosa for a sage grouse project. It shouldn't affect much in the way of hunting but it will certainly be a place I would avoid.

Last edited:
FYI there will be a contractor up near the corner of Skyline and Horse Camp Road cutting encroachment juniper and ponderosa for a sage grouse project. It shouldn't affect much in the way of hunting but it will certainly be a place I would avoid.

I visited with these guys for a brief minute on opening weekend! I honestly thought it was a "chain gang" picking up litter. Not often you see 15 guys all pile out of a van to take a leak at the same time (at least not in that part of the world). They were trying to figure out what to do with the rain and mud. I told them to give it a day or two.

Opening weekend went as I had expected... lots of people, lots of boats, some mud and lots of elk running to hide on private. The one thing that did catch me off guard was the $200k motorhome (bus) pulling a $35k+ jetboat down a rutted up dirt road! I wish I had those toys!

I have only seen two photo's of dead elk from the area this year, and they were both North of the river.

I whent up thursday i saw tons of hunters and some elk that other hunters busted out before i could get there and then i got back to truck friday night and the breaks looked like a xmas tree with head lights and tail lights of guys on there way in

pics didn't upload from previous post.

From our trip to 410 last year. Sept 18th - 26th

called in out of the willows

View attachment 61475

if you can take an afternoon off from chasing elk the Musselshell will feed you all week for free.

View attachment 61476

I'll be looking to make another trip next year...maybe. Only thing stopping me would be to just see other parts of Montana.

Dang, nice work! Love the character on that bull..

I remember that bull very well. You guys were so pumped to have made it happen. Awsome hunt, The boys and i will be checkiingin on them right there in about ten days.

Hey - Twodot. Glad to hear your still checking in with us. Check your private messages.

I remember that bull very well. You guys were so pumped to have made it happen. Awsome hunt, The boys and i will be checkiingin on them right there in about ten days.

Good to hear from you Twodot! I saw where at least one of you all had a 410 tag in your pocket!

You and the boys were life savers when we were out, wish we were around to help ya'll pack one out this fall!

A big hello to the family!

Watch your top knot out there!

sk

JMG, got that PM ! Lookin forward to seeing you this fall.
SAK,,,, wish you guys were gonna be there this year, was lots of fun meeting you all last season. You're always welcome at our place! twodot

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back