400+ NM Archery Bull

Woodrow

Here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/s/h_fea_elk_NM_Harber_05.html

P2_h_fea_458wide_elk_NM_Harber1.jpg

What are yalls thought on leaving an animal overnight before trying to find it?

It happens, and sometimes you just don't have much of a choice... Better of safe than sorry in my opinion.

He's an international hunter, he had an SCI scorer score it fresh. When they're top 10, they have to wait the 60 day drying period, but its a story now, its so big. If it wasn't a top 10, he could send that score into SCI right now. P&Y and B&C have the drying period for everything, I think.

425! Its says its from its from the 1/2 million+ acre Acoma Indian Reservation.

Why do I get the feeling this was a mega $$$ opportunity & no coincidence p&y and sci are the only scoring systems mentioned? I'm with Jose on this one.

Tom, what exactly is an international hunter?

A guy who hunts in multiple nations. P&Y and B&C are only this continent, basically, so that's a little international. They story said that guy hunted Australia, China, the Soviet Union, and Africa, and SCI records animals from those places as well. He's used to putting his animals in SCI because of that probably.

He might put it in B&C too, if it was in the 2001-2003 25th Big Game Awards it would be at #6 nontypical if it were 425. He has to wait the 60 days though.

It said the guide told him to wait to look for it, so they waited. I'd trust a guide's decision there more than mine on that. It would be good to hear why they decided that though?

Tom I'm sure the guide opted for not pushing the bull beyond a feasible distance to locate it. I too would defer to his expertise.

If it didn't shrink and scored 411 4/8 like the article says for B&C typical it would be #1 in the 2001-2003 book, if it was in that book and if the other ifs were true. Wow!

SCI you don't have a choice anymore, its forced into non-typical if the non-typical is 5% of the score or something like that. What about B&C and P&Y?

Nice bull that was taken. I know this was no high fenced hunt. The Acoma reservation is all free range. I know because I live just to the east of the reservation. I'm sure he paid some $$$ (don't know fees) to hunt there being that he's a non-tribal member. I can tell you tho that there are some nice bulls and bucks taken on the rez every year. The game and fish seem to have a good handle on the quality of game and the rangers patrol the rez almost continuously. They are pretty hardcore when they see anyone close to their boundry. They make sure that poaching/tresspassing among other things are kept to a minimum. Goes to show you what kind of game is possible when the proper steps are taken to ensure quality of game.

Double Droptine

They used to charge $8000.00 for a six day hunt, not all that bad. Most of these elk if not all of them have migrated up from the Gila so you have a good genetic pool in there. It's sad that a guy shoots a really nice elk and people immediately and with out any knowledge start putting it down. Thats a damn fine bull and a fair chase one as well.

feclnogn said:
They used to charge $8000.00 for a six day hunt, not all that bad. Most of these elk if not all of them have migrated up from the Gila so you have a good genetic pool in there. It's sad that a guy shoots a really nice elk and people immediately and with out any knowledge start putting it down. Thats a damn fine bull and a fair chase one as well.

Fecl, you think it was 8 grand minimum? If raising questions about the methods/availability/costs of a 425 inch bull on a hunting board is sad, I'm sorry.

It is a fine bull and in hope I'm still chasin' em at 69.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back