4 season tent

I bought one last year. It withstood some heavy wind and snow. This is the 4 person and I think more than 2 people would be tight with gear. After staying in it 6-7 nights, the only thing I really missed was being able to stand up inside. I used a buddy heater to warm it up when it got too cold. There was some condensation but it wasn’t too bad. I plan on using it again this year. Overall, it’s a solid and well anchored tent.

Attachments

• 2946D077-1396-488D-B2A0-4A97DBC21683.jpeg
    2946D077-1396-488D-B2A0-4A97DBC21683.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
I have the 6-man and figure it would be ideal for three and cozy for four. So far it only made one Summer camping trip so I can't vouch for its level of comfort in the cold. They had a sale that year and I burned some points to drop the price a little more. I would consider it as a base camp option rather than have that much weight in your pack going in a few miles. Someday I will take it out West on the next mountain adventure.

I would suggest you also look at a floorless, tipi style, tent and run that with a lightweight wood stove as a hot-tent setup.

I bought one last year. It withstood some heavy wind and snow. This is the 4 person and I think more than 2 people would be tight with gear. After staying in it 6-7 nights, the only thing I really missed was being able to stand up inside. I used a buddy heater to warm it up when it got too cold. There was some condensation but it wasn’t too bad. I plan on using it again this year. Overall, it’s a solid and well anchored tent.
I planned on using a buddy heater as well. Thanks for the info

Take a look at the Buddy Heaters. They don’t work well at higher elevations. Sold my Alaskan Guide 6 man, getting a SO Cimerron with a stove. It’s a matter of 45# vs 10#.

I have the 4 man version and it will certainly handle tough conditions but is not enjoyable to live out of for long. I purchased a Kodiak Canvas 10x14 tent a couple years ago love it. Kids sleep in the cabelas tent now when we all go camping. If it’s a base camp at the truck, you’ll want something you can stand up in.

If you have a Cabela's or BPS card, they are offering bonus points in May also, not that it makes a huge difference. The 6 man did have decent height, but I am 5'8" and for taller folks it may not be optimal.

Would the Cabela's outback lodge be better so I can stand up and would it handle the cold fine with a buddy heater?

I believe the outback lodge is rated as a 3 season tent. I looked at that one previously and it is a single wall tent but seems to have decent reviews. I have no personal knowledge or experience with that tent. One budget tent that surprised the sh*# out of me last year was a buddy’s Ozark Trail wall tent with stove jack from Walmart. $350 without the stove and stood up to some rugged weather (if you aren’t interested in a tipi tent).

I believe the outback lodge is rated as a 3 season tent. I looked at that one previously and it is a single wall tent but seems to have decent reviews. I have no personal knowledge or experience with that tent. One budget tent that surprised the sh*# out of me last year was a buddy’s Ozark Trail wall tent with stove jack from Walmart. $350 without the stove and stood up to some rugged weather (if you aren’t interested in a tipi tent)

I believe the outback lodge is rated as a 3 season tent. I looked at that one previously and it is a single wall tent but seems to have decent reviews. I have no personal knowledge or experience with that tent. One budget tent that surprised the sh*# out of me last year was a buddy’s Ozark Trail wall tent with stove jack from Walmart. $350 without the stove and stood up to some rugged weather (if you aren’t interested in a tipi tent).
I looked at the Ozark wall tent a while back but I'm not sure if I want to go that route since it weighs 100 pounds. Might just go with the Cabela's geodesic. Thanks for the help.

Picked one up for a November muley hunt in Montana last year. Worked good but it was a little chilly when the temps were in the single digits. Might have been warmer had I used a larger buddy heater instead of the small little buddy heater I had. Had to get up in the middle of the night to fire up the generator and electric heater to keep it bearable for my son. That said its well built and will work well for camping with the family.

Attachments

• 3BDDF188-AE8A-472B-8A21-B8ABFA40525F.jpeg
    3BDDF188-AE8A-472B-8A21-B8ABFA40525F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Would the Cabela's outback lodge be better so I can stand up and would it handle the cold fine with a buddy heater?
I have both the geodesic and the outback lodge original version without awning. The awning is the only difference. The outback lodge has done great for me kept me dry in a rain event of roughly 1.5” overnight. I’ve used it in the fall also with a buddy heater. You will get condensation, which wasn’t a huge setback. This one is much easier to set up solo. The geodesic I think my tent is the 6 person. Used it in colder weather 20 for a high right at zero at night with a buddy heater. Much less condensation in tent than the outback lodge. There was a build up of ice on the inside of the fly in the morning which was no big deal. It holds heat real well- had to go to bathroom in middle of night and it was like walking back into a heated room. Only down fall with this is setting it up solo. I think both if staked down right will hold up in high winds. I think the geodesic is a bit more sturdy just because the increase number of poles.

I have both the geodesic and the outback lodge original version without awning. The awning is the only difference. The outback lodge has done great for me kept me dry in a rain event of roughly 1.5” overnight. I’ve used it in the fall also with a buddy heater. You will get condensation, which wasn’t a huge setback. This one is much easier to set up solo. The geodesic I think my tent is the 6 person. Used it in colder weather 20 for a high right at zero at night with a buddy heater. Much less condensation in tent than the outback lodge. There was a build up of ice on the inside of the fly in the morning which was no big deal. It holds heat real well- had to go to bathroom in middle of night and it was like walking back into a heated room. Only down fall with this is setting it up solo. I think both if staked down right will hold up in high winds. I think the geodesic is a bit more sturdy just because the increase number of poles.
The latest I'd camp is November. Would the outback lodge do fine? I see it's a 3 season but we all know November can be a pretty cold month.

The latest I'd camp is November. Would the outback lodge do fine? I see it's a 3 season but we all know November can be a pretty cold month.
Personally, I too am the same with you as far as November is the latest I'd camp. The lodge in my opinion would condensate a lot more than the geodesic. I think the outback would be my choice if the weather is fair. I am 6 foot and I don't recall standing up being an issue. In November I think I would grab the Geodesic just because the condensation seems to be more on the fly rather than in the tent. I think the outback would work in November but I don't like the condensation I've experienced even in late October in it.

Personally, I too am the same with you as far as November is the latest I'd camp. The lodge in my opinion would condensate a lot more than the geodesic. I think the outback would be my choice if the weather is fair. I am 6 foot and I don't recall standing up being an issue. In November I think I would grab the Geodesic just because the condensation seems to be more on the fly rather than in the tent. I think the outback would work in November but I don't like the condensation I've experienced even in late October in it.
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll go with the geodesic.

I have used two different Guide tents. In New Mexico up high in the snow and in Alaska in September. I love those tents for being bombproof. Figure at least two sleeping spaces per person, but 3 is better yet if the weather goes to heck... Both were pre- Bass Pro acquisition.

I have used two different Guide tents. In New Mexico up high in the snow and in Alaska in September. I love those tents for being bombproof. Figure at least two sleeping spaces per person, but 3 is better yet if the weather goes to heck... Both were pre- Bass Pro acquisition.
Pre Bass Pro meaning when people there were knowledgeable, not sure if their quality has went down or not?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back