4 days in New Orleans

Don't think I've seen it mentioned but the National World War II Museum is a must for anyone history-oriented. The Audubon Zoo is a good one, too. Try to get away from Bourbon Street and hit up some of the "real New Orleans" neighborhoods. One of the best meals I ever had was at Jacques-Imo's in Uptown.

Edit: should have added you should hit up the Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve for a little hiking/gator watching.

If you are WWII History Fan this is the best museum in the US and probably the world.

Finally made it, this place is a shithole. Bums sleeping in doorways, sewage running down one street, got yelled at by 2 homeless guys in 30 mins. Not what I was expecting, bit we have a bunch of tours and the ww2 museum planned, so it's not all about the French quarter. I am really surprised that the city doesn't try to maintain the quarter better, its kind of the reason a lot of people visit. It is super busy so i guess why fix it if nobody cares. ,

That whole area does have a sewage smell, but I had fun every time I’ve been there- great food and a lot of good live music. Better after dark.

The French Quarter is not really kids entertainment. A lot of gay hookers there and gays looking to hook up so be aware of that. Doesn't bother me but not something I would want to be explaining to my kids. Check out the National Park Service visitors center on the end of Canal Street. There are literally dozens of units in the area. The swamp unit across the river is a must. Maybe a riverboat tour. You could drive out to the Chalmette Battlefield. Tell them Ranger Pat from Canada says hi. The Cajun unit up in Alexandria usually has something fun going on, dances etc. Great folks who will bend over backwards to make sure you're welcome.

Finally made it, this place is a shithole. Bums sleeping in doorways, sewage running down one street, got yelled at by 2 homeless guys in 30 mins. Not what I was expecting, bit we have a bunch of tours and the ww2 museum planned, so it's not all about the French quarter. I am really surprised that the city doesn't try to maintain the quarter better, its kind of the reason a lot of people visit. It is super busy so i guess why fix it if nobody cares. ,
Yeah. The French Quarter didn't do a lot for me when I worked in New Orleans back in 1987. Check out the Park Service visitors center. Find something to visit away from the core.

Finally made it, this place is a shithole. Bums sleeping in doorways, sewage running down one street, got yelled at by 2 homeless guys in 30 mins. Not what I was expecting, bit we have a bunch of tours and the ww2 museum planned, so it's not all about the French quarter. I am really surprised that the city doesn't try to maintain the quarter better, it’s kind of the reason a lot of people visit. It is super busy so i guess why fix it if nobody cares. ,
Im not gonna line, I was really hoping you found the shoe string hooker and did a photo op.

Ontario, you should have worked for the Chamber of Commerce… you really know how to sell the place🤣
Is what it is. That environment appeals to some folks. NO is known as the San Francisco of the East. Or that's what they called it back when I worked there. Didn't bother me.

Is what it is. That environment appeals to some folks. NO is known as the San Francisco of the East. Or that's what they called it back when I worked there. Didn't bother me.
It's cleaned up a lot since then. No more strip joints on every corner in the quarter. Perfect? No. Fun and lots of good food? Yes.

My wife took a cooking class at Emeril's place while I was in a conference. Pretty cool. Lots of galleries too. And I love brass bands, so just wandered around at night listening and tipping. That was only, like 10 years ago. But never underestimate politicians ability to f things up, so may be different now. Sad.

Surprised it’s a shithole? I thought everyone new that. The food is amazing though.

The French Quarter is not really kids entertainment. A lot of gay hookers there and gays looking to hook up so be aware of that. Doesn't bother me but not something I would want to be explaining to my kids. Check out the National Park Service visitors center on the end of Canal Street. There are literally dozens of units in the area. The swamp unit across the river is a must. Maybe a riverboat tour. You could drive out to the Chalmette Battlefield. Tell them Ranger Pat from Canada says hi. The Cajun unit up in Alexandria usually has something fun going on, dances etc. Great folks who will bend over backwards to make sure you're welcome.
My kids are in their 20s, but yes, it's not a place I would take them if they were young lol. 1 day here and I've seen some shit.

I don’t think anyone in New Orleans or in the actual East would consider that town to be “the East” of anything. It’s the south.

NOLA has always been rough. Just thought people knew that going in. It’s even become what a lot of people would call gentrified in the nearly 20 years since I last lived in the Bywater. Even still, street smarts go a long way down there. Take cabs after dark if you’re going far.

Things are a bit more staid uptown (west) on Magazine and St. Charles if the quarter is a little too freewheeling for your tastes. But, even the quarter has plenty of nice bits. Just avoid Bourbon like the plague. It’s never really been a place that locals go unless they’re looking for trouble.
A tip on the house, Coop’s on Decatur has some of the finest fried chicken I’ve ever eaten.

Laissez les bon temps rouler.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back