3rd Rifle Colorado

Timvz26

I am planning on doing a backpack hunt for the first time during 3rd Rifle this year, have backpacked hunted before in September but never November, I have a Seek Outside tent and stove and Sitka kelvin gear for the cold. My question is what elevation should I focus on for an average snowfall when e-scouting, aware that there could be no snow if it’s warm or lots of snow if it’s an early winter? I’ve been looking at around 10,000 feet? Is this elevation going to be unrealistic due to snow during 3rd Rifle or is this where the bulls hang out? I will most likely be solo as well with an inReach to communicate. Not to focus on units but I’m looking at either 12, 16, 161 or 7 if I can get a leftover tag. Thanks!

All depends on the year and location. Sometimes it’s knee deep snow at 10000 and sometimes it’s shorts weather during the day. Always pack for all four seasons starting in October 1 for the CO high country

Just for comparison sake. My 2nd rifle trip in 86 last year had warm dry windy days Friday to Wednesday with upper 70s for a high and upper 30s for a low. Then Thursday sleet an snow made us leave the 9/10k areas just because 3ft of snow was predicted by noon Friday. Plus mountain roads in our area were skinny an rough. Not worth the risk. Depending on where you decide to go make sure your ride is prepared as much as you are. This pic is at about 9000ft. Not much to winch from.20190716_114842.jpg

Plan for everything in the above pictures. The week before your hunt will give you a better idea on ballpark weather. But this far before the season is impossible to even guess on elevation/weather. For right now plan on temps between 0 and 80 degrees at elevations 6000' to 11000'; with snow depths between 0" and 3 feet. Best to just keep an eye on what the weather does the month before your season. Stay flexible and have 5-10 backup plans/locations. Good Luck!

I guess to rephrase my question, if there is a 6” snowpack at 10,000 feet, will the elk be below that elevation? If not then what about 12” snowpack? That’s what I’m more asking about?

Elk can move up and down a mountain in a few hours. They respond to weather much faster than we do. Two years ago, the CO 1st rifle season had a very rare 10" snowfall a couple days before season started. We saw herds move down to around 6k feet for 3-4 days. After that, the sun had melted off most of that snow and the temps were back up and so were the elk. I feel real sorry for anyone that had camp set up above 10K that week. They were stuck. My buddy ended up killing his bull at about 6500 feet. We chose to stay just below the snow for the 7 day hunt and we were in elk almost every day.

It will take a foot or more of snow to get the elk moving down, maybe two feet. The first bull I ever killed in Colorado was 3rd season at 11,300 in 18” of snow; air temp had been -16 that morning. I don’t know that a third rifle backpack hunt would be the best way to start your backpack elk hunting career; real winter can show up without much warning and that would make things very difficult.

Long story Long,

In the history of Colorado elk hunting, very few(maybe none other than getting lost with no gear) have died because of super bad weather. There are the stories of helicopter rescues and such that linger. However, here is a fact for Eastern Tenderfoots that I'll never repeat. Other than not meeting a schedule, and/or just being a little uncomfortable for a spell, a bad storm will only improve your odds and you won't have to spend the year eating your camp-mates while "stuck" in a 3rd season tent site because of the unknown 12" of predicted snow. Wait a few days and hike out. ;)

Sure is fun to watch all the dweebs clear out on Wednesday of a season because of "predicted" snow fall though.

Elk can move up and down a mountain in a few hours. They respond to weather much faster than we do. Two years ago, the CO 1st rifle season had a very rare 10" snowfall a couple days before season started. We saw herds move down to around 6k feet for 3-4 days. After that, the sun had melted off most of that snow and the temps were back up and so were the elk. I feel real sorry for anyone that had camp set up above 10K that week. They were stuck. My buddy ended up killing his bull at about 6500 feet. We chose to stay just below the snow for the 7 day hunt and we were in elk almost every day.
Yep... my pic above...

It will take a foot or more of snow to get the elk moving down, maybe two feet. The first bull I ever killed in Colorado was 3rd season at 11,300 in 18” of snow; air temp had been -16 that morning. I don’t know that a third rifle backpack hunt would be the best way to start your backpack elk hunting career; real winter can show up without much warning and that would make things very difficult.
I have done several September and a one 1st rifle backpack hunt. Have the hot tent to keep me warm. 3rd Rifle isn’t my first choice but due to timing this year it’s my only chance to punch a tag. Thanks for your input.

That's what all the locals were telling us 2 years ago, but it isn't at all what we observed. Within 24 hrs of that 10" snowfall (at 9K, it was more at 11K), there were herds showing up in the oak brush and sage that weren't there the day before. And they stayed for a few days, and then they were all gone.

I'm no expert, but that's what we observed, contrary to what we had been told would happen.

As we were packing up camp, I drove back up to the hunter camps around 9K and asked a few guys how they fared. Every one said it was the worst week of elk hunting they had in years.

That's what all the locals were telling us 2 years ago, but it isn't at all what we observed. Within 24 hrs of that 10" snowfall (at 9K, it was more at 11K), there were herds showing up in the oak brush and sage that weren't there the day before. And they stayed for a few days, and then they were all gone.

I'm no expert, but that's what we observed, contrary to what we had been told would happen.

As we were packing up camp, I drove back up to the hunter camps around 9K and asked a few guys how they fared. Every one said it was the worst week of elk hunting they had in years.
Well the answer just might be “the elk are where you find them”. YMMV

Well the answer just might be “the elk are where you find them”. YMMV
They certainly are that. I've seen elk at 11K feet and an hour later at 6K feet, several times now. I'm not convinced elevation matters that much to elk so long as they have food and a safety zone.

Figured I would join as a fellow seek owner and headed out to pack in for a 3rd rifle muley hunt. As was stated be ready for all 4 seasons, being cold sucks. Looks for some super nasty desolate spots for the bulls, I’d focus on areas with food, water, shelter over just an elevation number. I will be near a fire closure area, the fire road closures should keep a lot of folks out if you are willing to walk some miles back it should be just you and the elk

Just to give you more information - a useful resource that I began using during my winter mountaineering adventures is SNOTEL. If you look at this map, it will have individual blue dots that represent the station. Find a station near where you want to hunt, click on it, and in the sub-menu, you can follow links to different reports. These reports will have snow depth, air temp, % of average, etc. Very useful for seeing what is happening in the area without actually being there. Knowing if there is snow on the ground at a given elevation might help you plan on where you want to be!

Elk can tolerate a lot of snow. 10k in third season is not unreasonable . I found elk, at 10.5k last year during 3rd .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back