Caribou Gear Tarp

380-20 elk unit in MT

No offense to the Pilgrim, but I seriously contemplate if any homework is done by the majority of people putting in for tags up front? I mean do most people just say "yep looks like trophies there, I'll put in for that"? Maybe I am a low minority, but I already have a good idea and game plan far ahead of actually putting in for a tag. Area, access, potential, where to go, etc should all be done before putting in for a tag? Or maybe I'm going at this the wrong way - maybe I should pick a unit and apply, no homework, and maybe my odds will be better. Its funny to an extent, but kind of ridiculous....just my 0.02

I'll tell you how I went about it. Being a couple thousand miles away, it seemed better to me to look for units with solid elk numbers and quality, lots of public and good access, and the ability to draw without having generated points yet. So yeah, in lots of cases for folks not near elk, it gets done without extensive homework, and knowing different draws and drainages, because it isn't feasible to get there and know ahead of time. Hopefully one day I'll be living where I can spend time in the mountains getting familiar with elk on a monthly basis, but that time isn't now. And even though I've been around this forum awhile, I don't want to ask for advice because of how this is getting wound up this year.

Good luck Pilgrim

I think 380 offers the best hunt in Montana for limited tags on public lands from my research. A lot of others units have private land or access issues. Or only produce smaller bulls. Good luck on your hunt and have fun.

I think 380 offers the best hunt in Montana for limited tags on public lands from my research. A lot of others units have private land or access issues. Or only produce smaller bulls. Good luck on your hunt and have fun.

Not true, its in my back yard and very far from being the best.

Regardless if it is the "best", you just never expect to see the "successful" marking when checking your special permit drawings. I know I will remember that feeling for a long time. I know there will be challenges along the way but look forward to spending some quality time with my hunting partners both scouting and then of course, potentially having the opportunity to harvest a mature bull. Can't wait to get after it. One of my favorite things is discovering new territories for the first time, and since I have limited time spent in the Elkhorns, it will be an incredible experience. Going to love every aspect of it!

Not true, its in my back yard and very far from being the best.

I can think of a unit that gives only 5 tags that is better IF it snows, another unit that is as good, maybe better if you can get private access and another unit or two that might be close to the same league, but I sure wouldn't say its 'very far' from the best.

Unless it was my backyard, then I might. ;)

I can think of a unit that gives only 5 tags that is better IF it snows, another unit that is as good, maybe better if you can get private access and another unit or two that might be close to the same league, but I sure wouldn't say its 'very far' from the best.

Unless it was my backyard, then I might. ;)

In its glory it was one of the best but those days are long gone on public land in 380. And yes its in my backyard and I know it well, do I apply there? Not a chance.

I had a lot of fun there. But that was 13 years ago. I think a lot of 380” bulls quickly become 340” In the hands of an accurate measurer.

Last edited:
Here’s a recent one. Not sure if 400 gross, but definitely close if not..

I’ve seen photos of several elkhorns bulls that are without a doubt over 400. Not sure if they have been entered though.

5242EB3E-30C6-4E8E-8FF4-1962F770499F.jpg

It is the "best " unit in the state for one thing. Drawing in tons of hunters to apply for the tag, freeing up more opportunity in other great units. 380 is right out my back door and I don't apply there for bulls. But I sure appreciate the applicant vacuum that it creates. It is a nice place to shoot cows for the freezer.

Back