MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

380-20 elk unit in MT

Cabinet hunter

I was one of the lucky ones to draw this tag and I'm looking for any information to get me started in the right direction, I live in the NW corner of the state and don't know much about the elk horns yet , I've ordered maps and talked with the biologist and I'm just getting started in my search for information,anything would be appreciated! We drew as a party and plan on hunting the archery season .

Congrats on the tag! I replied to your private message so check your inbox. You are going to have a blast!

I was one of the lucky ones to draw this tag and I'm looking for any information to get me started in the right direction, I live in the NW corner of the state and don't know much about the elk horns yet , I've ordered maps and talked with the biologist and I'm just getting started in my search for information,anything would be appreciated! We drew as a party and plan on hunting the archery season .

Congrats on that tag!! If I had it, I would be camped out in there from opening of archery through the last day of rifle, if that is what it took. Good luck.

PM sent. I had the tag in 2012 and one thing to never forget is that this hunt should be fun and enjoyable. I lost sight of that about halfway through the season and ruined some quality hunting time with my dad because I had a pissy attitude. Sometimes hard to draw tags put a lot of unnecessary pressure on the person holding the "golden ticket".

If you do your part and hunt hard IMO its a great archery unit for 320-330 class bulls. Hike away from rds
Rifle can be tough due to the huge influx of cow and spike hunters. But with solid ground work its a good 330+ rifle tag. Hike to good vantage points away from rds and put your optics to use.

With both rifle and archery the top end is approaching 400 for the few with the golden horseshoe. But IMO anything in the 340 range is very good.

Last edited:
PM sent. I had the tag in 2012 and one thing to never forget is that this hunt should be fun and enjoyable. I lost sight of that about halfway through the season and ruined some quality hunting time with my dad because I had a pissy attitude. Sometimes hard to draw tags put a lot of unnecessary pressure on the person holding the "golden ticket".

I think they ALWAYS do. I swear the best part of the tag is the 60 secs right after you realize you drew it. Then the stress starts. LOL

If you do your part and hunt hard IMO its a great archery unit for 320-330 class bulls. Hike away from rds
Rifle can be tough due to the huge influx of cow and spike hunters. But with solid ground work its a good 330+ rifle tag. Hike to good vantage points away from rds and put your optics to use.

With both rifle and archery the top end is approaching 400 for the few with the golden horseshoe. But IMO anything in the 340 range is very good.

Has there ever been a true 400 inch gross bull taken in this unit? How many have net scored into B&C? I know of 1 net B&C bull taken from there, made the awards book.

The best bulls ive seen come out of this unit are never submitted for B&C. Most of the locals could care less about the book.

I think phutch is spot on for quality. I know of one gentleman that has taken two over 380" net. The Foster family gets a land owner tag every year and i know they have never submitted one of them. These guys get to pick from the best of the best. Not sure the book represents this district very well.

Few and far between but they are there. See multiple 360" bulls every year harvested in this unit. 400" is a big number...

I had the moose tag last year and spent a ton of time in the unit. Last year was good and this year should be better.

If you had the entire season to hunt i would hold out. If you are time limited a 330" bull would be hard to pass up. Lots of people end up eating this tag too so i would take a hard look at the amount of time you can hunt it.

Last edited:

This I had the tag and if I ever got it again I would take all of archery off work and get it done with a bow. Tons of cow hunters get the Bulls chase in deep after rifle starts. I ended up with a 320 bull but to tell you the truth just getting to archery hunt with all those Bulls was the best part of the hunt. Set a goal and just have fun

I just want to thank everyone who posted for the information, elk hunters are usually a tight lipped group so I appreciate the information and hope I can repay in some way someday . I never expected to get this much information, shoot straight and thank you again!

With hard to draw tags there is no reason not to share. So do your part and pay it forward when you get a chance. If you put in a some boot time you shouldn't have any trouble finding a good bull. Use google earth to pre scout. Ive had some fun times with buddies on the west side and north end during archery. Several buddies have shot bulls during rifle but no rhyme or reason in terms of area 2 in SE, 1 on east side, 1 on west side.... secluded seems to be a common theme. Also sitting behind optics glassing was key except for one that got tracked down on fresh snow.

Last edited:
One thing about these big tags, is it's really easy to put pressure on yourself. I just made my mind up to hunt as hard as I could, and remember that I had the tag in my pocket that gave me the rare opportunity to walk in the woods and take an animal that most would never have the opportunity to chase. I tried to be realistic too, and not set a goal that was out of reach. For me I would rather shoot a 330 or 340 bull than go home empty handed. I love those antlers and a freezer full of meat. It really is a blessing, and shouldn't be viewed as a pain. It's easy to get there though, when times get tough and hunting is hard. Enjoy every minute with that tag in your pocket!

I was overcome with joy the other day upon learning that I had drawn the 380-20 elk permit. I live in NW Montana, and have limited knowledge of the area. I have family that lives in Helena that has done some spike and cow hunting in the district. I have been looking over maps and am looking for information on the area if anyone would be generous enough to share. I have a demanding job but will be maxing out my leave time in the fall for this once in a lifetime chance. I will be hunting during archery but if I'm not lucky enough to harvest during the bow season I will rifle hunt the district as well.

Does it count when you are diggin up old threads??
Seems like when ever someone puts up a new one you could just route them to the old one. However, I am more humoured when you number them...:hump:

No offense to the Pilgrim, but I seriously contemplate if any homework is done by the majority of people putting in for tags up front? I mean do most people just say "yep looks like trophies there, I'll put in for that"? Maybe I am a low minority, but I already have a good idea and game plan far ahead of actually putting in for a tag. Area, access, potential, where to go, etc should all be done before putting in for a tag? Or maybe I'm going at this the wrong way - maybe I should pick a unit and apply, no homework, and maybe my odds will be better. Its funny to an extent, but kind of ridiculous....just my 0.02

Has there ever been a true 400 inch gross bull taken in this unit? How many have net scored into B&C? I know of 1 net B&C bull taken from there, made the awards book.

Can confirm knowledge of one 400+ bull taken ther within the past few years

Back