.375 H&H, anyone have one?

Witherall13

I was shooting the breeze with my captain about rifles and mentioned the Holland&Holland he had one in the 80’s that was the end of the conversation fast forward a month and he shows up with two boxes of shells and my rifle freak mind says well guess your buying one. It’s not so much that I’ll ever hunt with it although I’ve read they make awesome elk guns out to 200 yards.
Interested in what folks have to say about the caliber and their preferred rifles in that caliber.

Uh, yes!!! Amazing caliber, and no doubt the most versatile world wide. It is my go to for elk, moose, mountain goat, bear, and occasionally sees use for deer. Used it in Australia for water buffalo as well.

I LOVE my Browning X bolt SS in 375 H&H for my mountain rifle. My dad has a Win M70 SS in 375 H&H and I don't like the rifle near as much as my Browning. The Winchester has about a 1-2 pound heavier barrel which makes it very front heavy and not instinctual to shoulder. For whatever reason the Browning also deals recoil better than the heavier Winchester, must be due to stock design and butt pad.

If you get a 375 H&H, post pics and be cautioned, there is no going back. The 375H&H is to the 6.5MB, what Clint Eastwood is to Zac Efron.

I have a Winchester model 70 in 375 H&H, reloading 300 grain Swift A-Frames and/or Nosler Solids. I am quite fond of the rifle and enjoy shooting it, with the Leupold 1-6 it seems to be pretty predictable out to 400+. There is a bit more curve to its ballistic curve than many rifles, but it is a good gun.

My buddy in Oregon uses a 375 H&H for elk sometimes. He won it in some sort of raffle and scored about 150 rounds of old loaded ammo from his now deceased uncle so I'm not sure what the bullet or powder is. They weighed 270 grains when we pulled one but we could not identify the make. It's not his everyday go to rifle but occasionally he'll pack it around on our high desert hunt. He's killed 3 or 4 cow elk with it from 40 - 260 ish yards in the last 20 years as well as dozens of jackrabbits and a few coyotes. I don't think the meat loss/damage was any worse than my 338 Win with 225 grain Partitions.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll check out the rifles you guys mentioned. I’d like to have one just to go along with the .505, .416 and .338 I don’t really need either haha

Have a 375H&H in the safe. A Weatherby MK5 Dangerous Game. Initially acquired for a back up rifle for my dangerous game bow hunts. Have taken several water buffalo with it.
My buddy in the north of the country has a BRNO 375H&H, open sights and that’s his “go to” rifle. One hunt I was on convinced me “ I need one of these”. My buddy was trying to call in a scrub bull - feral cattle that have never been mustered. This cagey bull would not come any closer than what I guessed was about 300 yards. I was laying prone, with his rifle in hand, very settled. I flipped the last leaf of the blade open sight up and figured I’d better hold a foot high. Squeezed the trigger AND that’s exactly where the 300gn bullet went - a foot over it’s shoulder.

Yeah I’ve done a lot more reading of ballistic charts I’m impressed with it so I’ll be doing some shopping for one

Yes and love it. 1950 Winchester Model 70 with a Lyman 48 Peep. It is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. You can load them for dinosaurs or load them down for whitetails. It is more of a push when it comes to recoil. I was just shooting it a month or two ago and banging a 12" steel plate at 200 while shooting offhand.

I have a Winchester Stainless Classic in .375 H&H. The bullet that works best for me is the Barnes X 235 gr. I took my biggest elk with it and my first moose. I've also used it for whitetail and mule deer. I'd never sell it.

Bought one a few years ago with my summer fire money then foolishly traded it for the latest and greatest...300WSM. I really miss that rifle we called it the Ouch & Ouch because of it's recoil. I still have a box of Barnes X Bullets that I think were <$35/box at the time

I have a Winchester Stainless Classic in .375 H&H. The bullet that works best for me is the Barnes X 235 gr. I took my biggest elk with it and my first moose. I've also used it for whitetail and mule deer. I'd never sell it.
Yes, mine shoots the 235gr Barnes as well and love it.

No need to load huge bullets in it as the 235gr maintains essentially the same energy as the 300gr and larger bullets within 100yds, unless you take longer shots.

If your 416 is a Rigby then you already have a classic caliber and a tad more gun for the mean and uglies. your 338 is certainly enough for anything in North America and plains game in Africa.

However, I love the 300 and 375 H & H and have used them (along with the 6.5 x 55 and 450/400) more than any other calibers in my adult life.

The memo that you have to have a rifle with a smaller action and less weight in order hunt well never got to my inbox and now it is too late )-:

Had a M70 Safari classic, sold it due to it being too nice (and heavy) for me, and put a M700 together for a brush beater here in AK. The ballistics are nearly identical to a 30-06 FWIW. I killed a kudu at just over 400 yards with my last one, and killed a bunch of critters at all ranges below that.

The new one has a 20" SS barrel, and sits in a Brown Precision stock with a 3x9 leupold. All up weighs right at 8lbs. Easy to shoot, and easy to handle/carry.

Well I wish I looked here before my late night shopping addiction took over, but since I didn’t I’m the proud new father of a Weatherby Vanguard Dangerous Game Rifle.

One more model 70. Mine is from ‘59 and carries the Lyman peep sight. I believe it’s less recoil than my 338, more push than punch.

Back