35 Whelen

OhHeyThereBen

I'm thinking about working with the old man on getting a donor action and making something unique. As of right now, we both would love to have a Whelen (mostly because it sounds cool and because it's slightly nostalgic for pa) and I'm wondering who of you have some experience with it? Any recommendations on actions to go with? I'm thinking we'll find a rifle on the used rack somewhere and take it apart. The re-barreling wouldn't happen in our shop, but we're hoping to do everything else. Thoughts?

I am no expert but any recent long action 30-06 bolt gun should be able to be rebarrelled to 35 whelen. Going Rem 700 opens up lots of options for supporting parts. Or better yet, find a 30-06 Ruger 1 or Winchester 1885 highwall and have it rebored to 35 whelen.

I am no expert but any recent long action 30-06 bolt gun should be able to be rebarrelled to 35 whelen. Going Rem 700 opens up lots of options for supporting parts. Or better yet, find a 30-06 Ruger 1 or Winchester 1885 highwall and have it rebored to 35 whelen.

We're thinking about a Number 1. That'd be slick. A model 70 action would also be appealing, but we already have a couple of those.

I have a No. 1. I got it about a year ago NIB from a guy who never shot it. Shot one WT with it last year with a handloaded 200 gr NAB. You can't go wrong.

Hmmm,
My answer may vary depending upon where in PA you reside.
And not so much.

My recommendation, and one i've done several times.
Find used Stevens/Savage 110.
Call E.R. Shaw and order barrel. They will deliver to your door.
Oh, and their bluing is beautiful!
And they are made in PA.

Sturdy work bench with good vise.
Get barrel vise and barrel nut wrench.
3-5 lb hammer.
Go/no-go gages from 4D Reamer Rental.
Do it yourself.

If you need walkthrough, i live in Altoona.

Hmmm,
And not so much.

And they are made in PA.

3-5 lb hammer.
Do it yourself.

I fish lake Altoona all the time. But it's in WI. Thinking it would make a pretty solid project for us to do together. Although my pa doesn't have nearly the patience with this stuff as I do.

I love the cartridge. Mine is a Mauser 98 with the model b stock & a 24 inch octagonal barrel. Shoots under an inch with the old Hornady 250 grain round nose. Its a hammer on whitetail. Haven't shot anything else with it yet.

I fish lake Altoona all the time. But it's in WI. Thinking it would make a pretty solid project for us to do together. Although my pa doesn't have nearly the patience with this stuff as I do.

Oops...
Misunderstanding there.
When you said "pa", you meant dad.
Not Pennsylvania... Lol
My bad...

Hmmm,
And not so much.

And they are made in PA.

3-5 lb hammer.
Do it yourself.

I second this. I "Built" a whelen this way a few years ago for myself on a stevens 200 action and put a rifle basix trigger in and sat it in a boyds stock, the thing shoots amazingly accurate(to the point it out shoots some full custom builds)

Good smallmouth fishing below the Altoona dam lol. FWIW, the 35 Whelen sounds like it would be an amazing cartridge for Wisconsin Whitetail.

I’ll back the idea of the 110 rebarrel too. My brother and I put one together for each of us this year. His is a .280AI and mine is a .338-06 that I’m still finishing. It’s a lot easier of a process than I thought, with only a small investment in tools.

Here’s where I’m at with mine. Since the barrel is a bit larger in diameter than the factory barrel was, I still have a bit of sanding to do before I get the action bedded and the scope mounted.

Attachments

• F2921168-5F24-4915-A909-808DE5D37785.jpeg
    F2921168-5F24-4915-A909-808DE5D37785.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
I second the 35 whelen. Have one in a rem 7600 pump and it is an absolute hammer of a cartridge. I found success with a 225 grain Sierra or nosler partition up front.

Wait....
There is actually a town named Assawoman???

Now i've heard everything... Lol

Still, not wanting to hurt your business.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back