PEAX Equipment

$ 344 for New Boots? Ugh.

mightyhunter

I think I have lost my mind. I just purchased a pair of 8" Hanwag hunting boots for $ 344.00. I am awaiting there arrival. I am hoping for a miracle.

I have used almost every brand of boot with crazy results. That includes Kenetrek, Meindl, Cabelas, Danner, Merrell, Schnees and countless others. I have a bad left ankle that has been surgically repaired. I am 56 years old but I can still hike 20 miles in one day (at least I tell myself that I can). Ibuprofen is my best friend. My trouble with boots drives me crazy. I need tremendous ankle support to stay upright in steep or rocky country and especially on sidehills. I need great traction to keep from falling on my butt when walking downhill. I also like a boot that doesn't require me to surrender toenails every year. I also don't care much for blisters. They have to be waterproof, because I am not agile enough to cross streams by jumping or using well placed logs.

I wear the spendy Smartwool or Bridgedale heavy cushion trekking socks. I use Black Diamond elliptical trekking poles to help with the situation. I protect my boots from the elements with Kenetrek gaiters. I have yet to find a boot that gives me what I need. Does anyone else have this problem?

I thought I would post this instead of boring everyone to death with more wolf or grizzly news. Feel free to ignore this rant.

TBone are you suggesting a brace in particular? I am all ears. The ankle was last scoped the winter of 2010. It was initially trashed by too many basketball games and was finished off when I stepped in a beaver hole while fishing.

The Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hikers and also the Meindl Perfekt and Denali always gave great ankle support. By default, I still wear the Denalis when I hike. The traction on the Hardscrabbles was excellent. Unfortunately, the Hardscrabbles had a very small toe box that destroyed my toes (blisters and 7 lost toenails). The Meindls have a comfy toe box and were rigid as hell for side hills. Great support and comfort. The soles were just so slick that my butt kissed the ground at least two or three times per hike when proceeding downhill. I would love the Meindl with the Hardscrabble sole or perhaps an airbob. I had some Cabela's Outfitter boots with an airbob sole. Great traction, but the ankle support was weak and getting them on was tough (especially if they got wet) . I have kinda settled in with the thinking that I would rather have a sore butt than missing toenails. Again, hoping the Hanwags works.

If you can move your foot inside the boot, the fit isn't correct. You should be able to wiggle your toes but that's all, nothing else should move.
If your toes are hitting the end of the toe box, things aren't right, regardless of the steepness of the hill. The boot is the wrong size or is flexing too much allowing the foot to move forward. You can change the lacing pattern to help hold the foot to the back of the boot but that's more of a band-aid. Also, as I'm sure you know, two pair of socks, always. Liner and regular.

Hope the Hanwags work. Thanks for the Wolf updates, much appreciated.

Did you order them from Lathrop and Sons? If so, I'm fully confident that they will work to fix any fitting issues. Hanwags will probably be my next boot purchase...

I used the one finger rule with the Kenetreks (no not that) that meant I could fit a finger behind the heel (per Jim Winjums instruction). I have read other postings about Kenetreks having a small toe box. The Meindls I have are the exact size of the Kenetreks that I had. My size has always been 9 1/2 D. I understand that Meindl has always been known for having a larger toe box. I do not mean to single out any manufacturer by this post. I am just expressing my frustration with obtaining the "right boot". I hope the Hanwag from Lathrop & Sons work. The Lathrop I ordered them from was quite a character.

I have a pair of Hanwag. I love them. I also have a pair of Lowa. Love them too. I have used the Meindl. They fit okay but not as good as the Lowa or Hanwag. Money well spent in my opinion.

I'm not suggesting any brace in particular.

Having had a severe sprain, I had the option of surgery or not, I chose the non-surgical route and wore a lace up ankle brace with aluminum stays in it for over a year. Hunting was painful but doable.

I like the meindl Canada boots with a premium insole. I hope you find a good fit to keep you in the mountains.

LOWA Boots

I hope the Hanwags work out for you. I have been wanting to try them out, but have had such good luck with LOWA's that I've had no need to make the jump. I use Uplanders, Ranger GTX, Zephyr, and/or Tibet GTX depending on the terrain and the type of hunt. I always wear a smartwool liner sock and a Light or Midweight sock by either Smartwool or Darn Tough. This setup has never failed me.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back