340 Weatherby

Ridge Runner

What's your opinion on this caliber?? I may have a chance of picking one up at a good deal. I have and shoot a 300 ultra mag and by the looks of it ballistic wise thay are close with each other. But with the 340Bee it is pretty impressive with the 250gr bullet. This would be a good elk/ moose round to have and you could still load it down with the 180gr bullets. Just trying to get some feedback. Thanks

If it's at a good price,.....well....buy it. Otherwise, if you were serious about a 33 caliber rifle, I'd look at the 338 lapua. Much better case design. That said, yes, the 340 would knock the shit out of a moose or which ever you hit with it. And most important.........you can't pass up a good deal can you?????

Layin it down.. Your right if it's a good deal why not. Working it out now. Looks like the 250gr pill works great in that round. This would fill my aresenal for the upper end pretty well. below it I have the 300 RUM then the 257 Roy. Thanks guys for the input.

Yeah, what they said. I prefer using the heavier bullets - 225 gr and up - in my .338. If I'm gonna shoot a 180 gr bullet, I might as well shoot it out of my .300.

Cali.. The thing that impressed me with the caliber is being able to load it down to 300 mag specs but then also being able to go to the 250 gr or more with plenty of punch for the bigger critters also. Should be a good upper end cartridge.

One of the well known reloading manuals refer to it as "the holy grail' of rifle cartridges. I have 2 friends who use on large critters with great success.
If I could pick one up on a 'good deal' basis...I'd buy it in a second...there's always a good market if you decide you don't want/need it.
One item...but you already shoot a 300 Ultra mag....the ones I've shot absolutely knock the dog snott out of you off the bench with the heavy bullets and the muzzle blast will tan your face. Otherwise...it's one hell of a round.

duckhead59. Picked it up and took it out to the range with a box of the factory 225 and 250 grn spirepoints. Yes you can tell the difference in the heavier bullets but nothing to bad. Going to work up a load with some 225 and 250 gr accubonds with some IMR 7828 and see what it will do..

Attachments

• 340 WBY 010.jpg
    340 WBY 010.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,172
  • 340 WBY 011.jpg
    340 WBY 011.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,534
  • 340 WBY 008.jpg
    340 WBY 008.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,368
Awesome Ridgerunner!...great looking gun in great shape. Doesn't look like it shoots factory bad either. Sounds like you'll be 'cookin up' some good medicine for it...bet you get her dialed in real good with handloads!
Hey, if you decide to sell it...let me know.
Keep us posted!

Yes I am happy with it. Got the scope from our own ERSS here on the site and what good guy to deal with. Picked up the dies the other day so now just need to find the time to sit down at the bench and load some up and see how they go. Anybody out there loading the Accubonds for the 340??

Been playing with some loads and think I will settle on this one.

IMR 7828 85.5 GR.@ 2790 FPS

Attachments

• Reloading equipment 004.jpg
    Reloading equipment 004.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,135
Last edited:
ridgerunner...now thats what Im talkin' bout...sweet shooter!
if you miss what you pull the trigger on it sure wont be the guns fault!...LOL ;)

iv'e used the 340 deluxe model for 10 yrs. on bear, deer, elk here in coastal oregon. 180's for deer, 210's-225's on elk 250's on bear. very potent! used a 300win for years befor that, great cal. but not a 340.you will not be dissapointed!

I have a Rifles Inc. .340 and use it on everything, including antelope. It shoots flat enough but the downrange results are just plain awesome. It does not blow huge holes in anything but one shot kills are commonplace.

I have nothing but the highest praise for this round. Gives a lot of confidence too when up in the north country where a big moose or grizzly might enter the equation.

I wasn't sure when I saw the picture of the first group that your shooting was any good...seems how weatherby's generally group very well and your scope and mounts looked like a great choice...figured it was the shooter or the ammo, but once I saw the picture of the second group I'm satisfided you know how to handle that cannon and reload.

I bet you won't ever have to do much tracking on any animal you hit with that beast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back