.338-06

I'm guessing this has more to do with the 9.3 outnumbering Whelens in Africa 10,000:1 than there being any real world difference in performance. :)

I shoot H4350 in my 338-06 AI. It worked well with 210 Accubonds and Partitions, as well as 225 Swift A frames.

I'd argue a fair amount of difference between a whelan tapping out at 250gn when a 9.3 pushes out to 320gn.

The 225-230gn can be pushed out fast enough to shoot a ways, mind you my brother has shot deer out to 450 yards with his 250gn pils.

Yeah, because we don't shoot enough 5.56, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 7.62... Lol

9.3X62 pretty much equals our 35 Whelen.

We're talking about different things, you're talking metric diameters, I'm talking about euro calibres that have been around for yonks like your 7x57, 8x57, 9.3x62, 9.3x64, 8x68 etc.

Like why make the 7mmRM or 300WM when the 8x68 has been doing the same balistically since the 20's or 30's. The 1980 release of 7mm08 twinning the 7x57 which has been around since 1892. The 9.3x62 has been around since 1905 so he's no spring chicken.

Mind you 100 years from now there will be calibres mirroring popular contemporary ones, I believe they call it marketing! Haha

Ok, to bring this thread back on topic here, I am looking for some clarification:

With my preference of shooting all-copper bullets in rifles, is the 210gr a good option for the .338-06 at most reasonable hunting distances. In the past, I haven’t hunted in an area where shots past 300 were possible. However now, here in western ND I could very easily see those shots as being possible. It’s going to be a couple years before I get to hunt elk, so my hope is to get this project together and start shooting it so I know the rifle when the times comes.

So I’ll reiterate: ballistically, where does the 210gr TTSX at normal .338-06 velocities run out of steam?

I guess in my research I’ve viewed this weight as a good compromise for this cartridge as it has a better B.C. than the 185gr, and better velocities than the 225gr. I’m not married to this bullet or bullet weight, and I’ve noticed that Nosler has a 200gr E-tip they looks promising. Hornady GMX might be a possibility too but haven’t looked at what they offer for this diameter.

I did the technical task of referencing the Barnes manual and plugging that data into the Hornady app with the assumption you can get 2700 FPS out of that bullet. You want 1800 FPS as a minimum for expansion. I’d lean more towards 2000.

You should have about 2000 FPS at 400 yards. Whether that’s a good choice is up to you to determine

Last edited by a moderator:
We're talking about different things, you're talking metric diameters, I'm talking about euro calibres that have been around for yonks like your 7x57, 8x57, 9.3x62, 9.3x64, 8x68 etc.

Like why make the 7mmRM or 300WM when the 8x68 has been doing the same balistically since the 20's or 30's. The 1980 release of 7mm08 twinning the 7x57 which has been around since 1892. The 9.3x62 has been around since 1905 so he's no spring chicken.

Mind you 100 years from now there will be calibres mirroring popular contemporary ones, I believe they call it marketing! Haha

Ahh, but even Blaser and Norma are jumping onto the Imperial bandwagon.

Myself, i'm working on a series of wildcats based off of a fine cartridge designed in 1909 by the designation 425 Westley Richards.

As is said alot in reloading/wildcatting, "not much changes under the sun".

I'd argue a fair amount of difference between a whelan tapping out at 250gn when a 9.3 pushes out to 320gn.

The 225-230gn can be pushed out fast enough to shoot a ways, mind you my brother has shot deer out to 450 yards with his 250gn pils.

If we are going to push the limits of what the case is really capable of handling... Woodleigh also makes 310s for the 35... They are virtual twins. Its the same amount of powder, the only difference is the bullet diameters are 0.008" different (2% larger). There isn't a test in the world that could prove it one way or the other. ;)

So a few of us have recommended the Hammer, but apparently that's not on your personal list.
Nothing wrong with the 210TTSX; go ahead and give it a try if that's what you want to do. I've loaded the TTSX in 7mm for Dad's rifle and it is devastating.
I have only heard about Hammer Bullets in this forum, so they are on my radar but I don’t indeetanad what they offer over the more common brands of monolithic copper hunting bullets to justify their higher costs.

I did the technical task of referencing the Barnes manual and plugging that data into the Hornady app with the assumption you can get 2700 FPS out of that bullet. You want 1800 FPS as a minimum for expansion. I’d lean more towards 2000.

You should have about 2000 FPS at 400 yards. Whether that’s a good choice is up to you to determine
That’s what my research came up with too. At this point I have no business shooting to 400 but I will be shooting a lot more soon to begin stretching my personal effectiveness

I have only heard about Hammer Bullets in this forum, so they are on my radar but I don’t indeetanad what they offer over the more common brands of monolithic copper hunting bullets to justify their higher costs.
Consistency
Accuracy
Performance

I have set up Dad's 7mm Wby to shoot 150 TTSX from Barnes, but can't for the life of me get his 300 Wby to shoot 200 LRX's.
For my 270 Win and one of my 7mm Wby rifles it took very little range time to have better accuracy and consistency than I've gotten with any other bullet.

might be a bit light for elk but i do like the fact that barnes also offers a 160 for the 338, without looking in my book I can't remember if I have 160 or 185's loaded for my 338-06 east coast so deer & bear but when i shot a deer with it a couple of years ago it did the job. I went with the 338-06 for the versatility of bullets from the light up to the heavy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back