Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

338-06, I think this is the one...

I don’t have much experience with the 338-06. But, stick with a Remington or savage 110 action. I reberreled a savage axis and I was limited to one aftermarket stock (except for custom made) and that was the Boyd’s prairie hunter.

Also look into northland shooting supply, they have barrels and barrel nuts that will work with the savage as well as the rem action (remage). Their Criterion and Shilen barrels are reasonably priced and good quality.

Last edited:
I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Stainless with a 24-inch barrel in a 30-06, and after reading about the 338-06 I’m considering getting it rebarreled/rechambered. Anyone had any experience using the M77 to build from to the 338/06? Anyone know of the gun manufacturers in Montana that does rebarreling/rechambered? Thanks
Have JES in Oregon rebore the barrel. He is a great guy. Who does a great job, on time, and for less money than a rebarrel. My
338-06 shoots sub MOA with several different loads using both Barnes and Nosler bullets.

Have JES in Oregon rebore the barrel. He is a great guy. Who does a great job, on time, and for less money than a rebarrel. My
338-06 shoots sub MOA with several different loads using both Barnes and Nosler bullets.

Thanks, I appreciate the information. Plan on shipping it out after the new year.

Never been a fan of long actions, so when they came out with .338 Federal, I jumped on it. I absolutely love this cartridge for black bear. I would expect that .338-06 would be even better.

Never been a fan of long actions, so when they came out with .338 Federal, I jumped on it. I absolutely love this cartridge for black bear. I would expect that .338-06 would be even better.
I was thinking 338 Federal, but lack of ammo choices and brass kinda steered me away from it. I think it's a fantastic round though.

I was thinking 338 Federal, but lack of ammo choices and brass kinda steered me away from it. I think it's a fantastic round though.
What did you choose instead? Certainly there is more .338 Federal commercial ammo out there now than .338-06.

Right now, Federal makes five loads for .338 Federal: A 200-grain PowerShok, 200-grain Fusion, 185-grain Fusion, 200-grain Trophy Copper, and 200-grain Vital-Shok. My go-to is the 200-grain Fusion. I really wanted to try the copper, but the point of impact is very different.

As far as bullets, I'm not a reloader, but I've read people say its ok to use Win Mag bullets, whereas others say don't because they won't open at .338 Federal velocities. Also, word is that Federal is using some proprietary powder for their commercial loads. Handloaders I've read haven't matched the performance of the commercial loads. I chronoed 2750 fps from a 200-grain Fusion out of a 22" barrel. That's 50 fps above advertised.

Sadly, the only companies left making the rifles that I know of are Savage and Wilson Combat, and Savage seems to be dropping it from their lineup, which is why I grabbed a 110 Storm while they're still out there. The bummer is that Savage made their .338 Federal rifles heavy.

200gr TBT factory load. 1MOA or just slightly under. Bergara B-14 rebored by JES to 338 FED.

Attachments

• 338fed-3.jpeg
    338fed-3.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201125_110819.jpg
    20201125_110819.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 6
Back