338-06 bullet choice?

deer_shooter

I had a Browning Abolt re-barreled to 338-06 late last year and I am very happy with how it turned out. I had a few 225gr barnes that I used for the barrel break in and sight in work and they ended up coming in right about an inch or a little less. I’ve shot 250gr Sierra’s, 200 grain Accubonds and 175gr Hammers through this gun and all print an inch or less which is great. My preferred bullet would be the 200 gr Accubond but there are none to be found. I intend to use this rifle on a Newfoundland moose hunt next year and it will see (hopefully) use on caribou and elk in the future. I can find 210 grain Barnes, and of course Hammers are readily available in 175gr and 213gr as are 200 gr Bulldozers. Finally, I found some 180 gr Accubonds but the shipping cost is outrageous. I know all of these will work well, but I’m wondering what the majority would go with. What say you HT, if you were in my shoes, what would you go with?

175 Hammers. I used 185 TSX for many years mine.

Probably 200gr Hornady interlocks if not the NABs or NPTs. In that velocity range they’ll hold together fine

What kind of velocity are you getting with the Hammers? My opinion if the Hammers are slinging them that would be my choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back