.338-06 A-Square

boat1dave

I decided to shoot a wild cat round for my larger game hunting, my gunsmith suggested the .338-06 with a 180 Accubond bullet. Since there is no longer any factory ammunition available I was custom loading my own with good results. In reviewing Nozlers offering in big game and custom reloading I found that they offered 6 different bullet combinations for the A-Square application. I stayed with the 180 grain accubond and it is just what I'd hoped for, quarter size groups, great muzzle velocity and energy and great bullet weight retention. My first harvest was a Canadian Moose and when I hunt the centerfire seasons it is a deer and elk one shot drop show. Amazing, Orygun built product. No more OTC store bought ammo.......Wilson

My dad is in the process of building one, he's planning on shooting 210-225s out of it with reloder 19. What powder are you using?

My gun builder (Joe Beutz) has loaded a lot of this combo and uses 54 gr. of H-4895 @2855 fps. Nozler recommended and loaded a 4840-C that netted them 2950 fps but didn't list the powder charge. Joe has done numerous work-ups and he is gold

Shooter Pro Shop has a clearance of close out items and I think they had three different Nosler Custom ammo choices on that list for the .338-06. I hope this isn’t a problem posting this here, because I believe I was told about Shooters Pro Shop when I visited Nosler the last time I was in Bend.

I hate to say it, Wilson...
But the 338-06 A-Square is a SAAMI cartridge, not a wildcat.

Regardless, sounds like you have found a winning combination!
Congratulations!

I've just finished setting up one with the 210 TTSX and RL-17. In my rifle it gave better accuracy than H4350, much better speed than RL-16.
I would think that RL-19 might be too slow unless going heavier...?

I've just finished setting up one with the 210 TTSX and RL-17. In my rifle it gave better accuracy than H4350, much better speed than RL-16.
I would think that RL-19 might be too slow unless going heavier...?
I don’t think you could get enough rl19 in the case to be worth it. Better for the 338 win mag

I’ve had good results with Varget and the 210gr TTSX on paper after some initial tests. Still wanting to do more and test it past 100 yards. Still don’t have a chronograph so I don’t know how fast it’s moving.
This group is actually two groups, the first two upper shots being the first two shots fired and the lower three being where I moved my scope. Shot at 100 yards so I could fine tune it for 200 the next time out.3FF91450-6094-461E-BADE-A77590372936.jpeg

I got my 30/06 m70 bored out to 338/06 this winter and started playing with some loads for both Hammer Hunter 213's and Sierra Boattail 215's. First round of velocity testing had RL 16 giving velocities up to 2650 or so but those loads were highly compressed. RL17 was much better, easily pushed 2750fps+. I'll play with groups at some point soon.

I had really good luck with 185 grain TSX bullets and RL 15.

I have shot this cartridge for 20 years and it is the perfect setup for a light weight rifle for elk and mule deer. I have shot 10 Nilgai in Texas with it and I find them much tougher to kill than elk. the 185 TSX are excellent as long as the bore is spotless clean to start. The sectional density on the Barnes gives the best penetration of anything I have used, I would avoid the 210 grain nosler partition as the shank with the rear core is very short and I have seen some core jacket separation issues on elk with the 338 win mag and the 338-06. The nosler brass is great by the way as they have the proper headstamp and seem to be infinitely re-loadable.

Curious if anyone is running 213 grain hammer hunters out of their 338-06 and what velocity you are moving them at? All I ever shot much of was 225 grain accubonds I’ve got an action laying around and debating between a 338-06 lightweight build or a 338 Sherman

Curious if anyone is running 213 grain hammer hunters out of their 338-06 and what velocity you are moving them at? All I ever shot much of was 225 grain accubonds I’ve got an action laying around and debating between a 338-06 lightweight build or a 338 Sherman

A little late to the party here, but for a data point, as I posted above I've been using the HH 213's with my 338-06 getting around 2750 with RL17 out of a 22" tube.

Back