.308win 130gr ttsx ?

I am in a bit of a quandary, I have my eye on a Steyr rifle in .308, and immediately thought of loading 130g TTSX, shooting up to 300 yards, biggest target, red deer stag, size of a mule deer buck.
But, the rifle has a 1:12 twist, and all my research has come up with that combination won't work, some will say go up to 150, but from what I understand (not a lot!) you drop down a weight as speed kills with copper.
My other option is to go for a 7mm08 120g TTSX, that rifle has a 1:8.5 twist which is more favourable, both calibre in 22'' barrel's.
Any advice/suggestions very welcome, thanks
Cheers
Richard

I've got a Winchester Extreme Weather 308 with a 1-12 barrel. It shoots 130 Barnes very well. It also performed great with 150 Barnes but I opted for the little bit of extra speed and stuck with 130's.

Ive been working on a 130 gr ttsx load in my Hows 308 and getting just under 3K fps with IMR 3031. Decent accuracy and haven't used on game yet. The ballistics inside 400 yards is fine for me and deer.

My thinking was same as mentioned above with another comment - using copper = go faster if possible.

This the answer I got from Barnes, mute point now as I have just put a deposit down on a 6.6x55 which will be shooting Barnes TTSX 120g which will be fine on red stags.

'Thank you for choosing to shoot Barnes Bullets. What bullet are you thinking about using and what elevation will you mostly be at when shooting? I don’t want to talk you out of that rifle, but in our opinion (even if not using our bullets), I would not buy any 30 caliber or 308 Win rifle that has only a 1:12” twist. You will be so limited on ammo and bullets that can be used. The trend nowadays in rifle manufacturing is starting to go with even tighter than 1:10” twist. Many are making rifles in 1:8” twists for 30 caliber. It gives the consumer greater options on ammo and bullets.

So, if it were me, I would only consider a 1:10” or tighter twist on any 30 cal rifle. I would not even consider a 1:12” twist, personally.'

Cheers

Richard

@Don Fischer , I'm curious as to your objections to mono bullets. If you never used or tried and never will, what is the reason? I certainly understand if it's a personal objection. Is there something else?
EZ. For hunting there's no a lot a monolithic bullet will do a good cup and core won't. Mono's are to me way over built. You would wound an animal with a cup and core and it is most likely the shooter's fault, bad shot. Hit the same animal with the mono in the same place and you likely still have a wounded animal. The difference between the mono and cup and core is the mono cost's twice the cup and core. People shooting mono's it seems save them for hunting but I don't do that. I practice with the bullet's I hunt with. So my biggest problems with mono's is cost for an over built bullet. How many deer or even elk shot behind the shoulder with a good cup and core bullet has the bullet stay inside the animal? I don't hear of a lot of them! Generally as long as you choose a good bullet, they mostly all pass through. Why do people pay double for bullet's to pretty much get the same results as the other type. On thing I have heard that appeals to me is that the mono is not as distructive as the cup and core. I found to reduce distruction inside animal's with my 25-06 I needed a heavier bullet. 100 gr bullet's were distructive as could be. Went to 117 gr bullet's and the problem pretty much went away. But then the 100gr bullet did seem to kill faster. Wasn't a big deal though as a deer hit with a 117gr bullet would walk off just a bit and lay down dead.

I am in a bit of a quandary, I have my eye on a Steyr rifle in .308, and immediately thought of loading 130g TTSX, shooting up to 300 yards, biggest target, red deer stag, size of a mule deer buck.
But, the rifle has a 1:12 twist, and all my research has come up with that combination won't work, some will say go up to 150, but from what I understand (not a lot!) you drop down a weight as speed kills with copper.
My other option is to go for a 7mm08 120g TTSX, that rifle has a 1:8.5 twist which is more favourable, both calibre in 22'' barrel's.
Any advice/suggestions very welcome, thanks
Cheers
Richard
I have always understood that fast twist rifle's were to make heavier bullet's stablize but at the same time the effect on lighter bullets wouldn't be seen unless the bullet was to light and the fast twist was over stablizing it. I suspect for each weight bullet there may be a certin twist that works better than any but shooter's don't seem to chase perfect twist! I remember with my old 7mm Rem Mag my best bullet, accuracy wise was a 160gr Speer Hot Core. But the same rifle would shoot any bullet down to 115gr extreamely well. Where the problem came from with the light bullet's was distruction on the animal. Velocity with those lighter bullet's would certainly bust up the bullet penetrating. Advantage with the mono bullet seems to be with the light bullet's, velocity doesn't tear them up as bad if at all. But I also understand that the mono bullet at the same weight as a lead core bullet come out longer because of the weight of materials used. That way it seems the bullet is going to have to be seated somewhat deeper in the case to fit first the magazine and if the magazine is long enough, then the chamber. How ever good people think the mono's are it appears to me the rifles we shoot them in are designed for lead core bullet's. I have never met anyone that is using mono bullet's that has told me there was actually much failure with bullet's they had been using, seem's the vast majority changed for no other resaon than they believed they were getting a better bullet. if the lead core bullet's you were using never failed, what did the mono improve on?

Yes , if I reloadEd I could squeeze some more FPS out of a .308 , but alas I shoot factory and have to play in their sandbox
That is 100% not a fair chart, and you absolutely need different factory ammo. I shoot Barnes Vortex (TTSX) in 168gr at 2700 fps. The 130gr is 3125 fps. And it's in stock- https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017413588

But if that's the speed that your gun shoots best, then I'd bump to a 180gr bullet to target the lower speed.

I made the switch to copper initially because I wanted the best penetration, but the lead thing (and the fantastic "bang-flop" factor on deer/antelope) has kept me hunting with them. I practice with 168gr Sierra match kings at the range, then verify the zero with a few of the TTSX before season- the ballistics are incredible similar out past 300, and that's how far I'll shoot animals. But I mostly do dry-fire practice at home.

With what I spend on a hunt in gas, I don't mind the extra $10 per season for using monos on animals.

EZ. For hunting there's no a lot a monolithic bullet will do a good cup and core won't. Mono's are to me way over built. You would wound an animal with a cup and core and it is most likely the shooter's fault, bad shot. Hit the same animal with the mono in the same place and you likely still have a wounded animal. The difference between the mono and cup and core is the mono cost's twice the cup and core. People shooting mono's it seems save them for hunting but I don't do that. I practice with the bullet's I hunt with. So my biggest problems with mono's is cost for an over built bullet. How many deer or even elk shot behind the shoulder with a good cup and core bullet has the bullet stay inside the animal? I don't hear of a lot of them! Generally as long as you choose a good bullet, they mostly all pass through. Why do people pay double for bullet's to pretty much get the same results as the other type. On thing I have heard that appeals to me is that the mono is not as distructive as the cup and core. I found to reduce distruction inside animal's with my 25-06 I needed a heavier bullet. 100 gr bullet's were distructive as could be. Went to 117 gr bullet's and the problem pretty much went away. But then the 100gr bullet did seem to kill faster. Wasn't a big deal though as a deer hit with a 117gr bullet would walk off just a bit and lay down dead.
Certainly no disagreement from me. I have a tendency to overdrive a bullet. The copper's do pass through with sometimes not as much expansion as I'd hoped for. What I do like is that they don't bloodshot near as much meat on the pass through.

If someone were asking about whether their .270 was enough for elk with a 130 ttsx, would there be the same discomfort? I'm not chastising, I had the same reaction when I first considered a 130 for elk. But, then I thought about the .270, not to mention all the elk killed with 120 ttsx's from a 7mm-08, or even smaller bullets from .25-06's, or .257 Weatherbys...
Wifes 270 has a 5 or 10 deer, couple elk and a moose that fell to 130ttsx. I am very confident in it.

This is my first post. Thank you for allowing me to join.
I have a Tikka T3x compact .308 Win with a twenty inch barrel and a 1-10 twist.
I’m looking for anyone who has experience loading this 130 grain TTSX using Varget.
I only have 100 bullets and a limited amount of primers so working a load with the minimal amount of components is a must!
Note: I am an experienced hand loader.
I reside in NY and we may be required to switch to all copper in the foreseeable future, and I’d like to have a load ready.
Most of my hunting is done within 300 yds and I’ve included a couple of pictures to show areas I hunt.
Thank you again for the add and thank you in advance for any replies!9D38639B-8BB2-497C-BA1B-9737BBC41A0B.jpegC3F23006-5424-4A9F-AC32-A77DF8FC07D3.jpegFE2ED08B-5D30-4CA9-8849-41D155A0F35A.jpeg

I load them in my kids' rifle for deer at about 2750fps. They kick like a .243. I'm planning on using them for my son's elk hunt next year. They'll stay over 2200fps and 1500 foot pounds out past 200 yards and that should do it.

For myself, if I were using a .308 for elk, I'd rather shoot TTSX's in 150, or 168.
Can you share the reloading data for the kids round. I’m looking for something for my daughter for next year

The Barnes website has their load data posted. They show Varget load from 44 to 49 gr.
Yes 44.3 to 49.2 I believe.
I’ve been there and the rifle is a 24” barrel with a 1-12 twist.
I was hoping that someone here may have loaded Varget for loads in a 20” barrel with a 1-10 twist.

I think I will include some background.
I don’t have a chronograph nor do I have access to one.
I use the OCW method of load development for the most part.
So I’m trying to save on components and if I were to do a complete OCW it would be in the neighborhood of 20-30 rounds.
Add to that adjusting seating depth it could easily become more in the 30-50 round range.
I was hoping that someone may have experienced loading 130 grain TTSX using Varget and where about their accuracy was so that I could do some testing around those numbers while maintaining safe pressures staying within the recommended min and max loads.
Thank you for your response it is greatly appreciated

Finally got it, sold the .308, bought this, 6.5x55 Steyr Mannlicher CL 11 SX Stainless, Wildcat EVO sound moderator and the scope is a day/night digital made by Pulsar, the C50.
Christened yesterday on a Fallow pricket
View attachment 246939

View attachment 246940
As they say “The proof is in the fridge” or something like that 😆. 6.5 Swede is that quite literally dead elephant in the corner that never got respect.

Got it and understood. If it was me, and working with minimal components, I would load 3 at the upper end of the scale starting around 48gr. Stop when you get something acceptable. You can go back and fine tune it later if you feel the need. I would seat them at the recommended book COAL. They will shoot well. Barnes recommenders .050 off the lands but in your case I don't believe that will give you much different results.

Can you share the reloading data for the kids round. I’m looking for something for my daughter for next year
Hodgdon says that it's safe to go down to 60% of a max load with H 4895. So, I did a bunch of experimentation and tried to balance accuracy with a velocity that both reduced recoil and would ensure expansion out to 250 yards, or so. I settled with:

41.5 grains H 4895
OAL: 2.73"
130 gr TTSX with Federal case and WLR primer.
(.308 win)

Velocity is right around 2740 fps from the 20" barrel and recoil is comparable to a .243 win. At 6000 ft elevation, that maintains a velocity above 2200 fps almost to 300 yards. It did not get the chance to prove itself on elk, but we've taken deer and pronghorn with this load, very successfully.

Unlike normal load development, I'd start with a heavier load that is on the low side of the standard min/max tables for this combo. Then, work down looking for pressure signs. I have had the experience of going too low!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back