Add Wall tents and Rocky Mountains and that's exactly how I cut my teeth in the elk camps i grew up.

No offense to modern day reality, but alot of truth here

I grew up sitting on the couch in our Maine deer camp watching the guys chain smoke and play poker.

“what happens at camp, stays at camp” was taught to me early on.

As I got to college I went to camp less, but now I find myself there every year for at least a couple weeks. The camp is dwindling, as the guys are all in their 60s and 70s and have a hard time getting around.

I dream of keeping the camp going, but I don’t know if I’ll ever find anyone to share the experience with. I can’t believe that these types of traditions are fading away. It’s the most meaningful place I’ve been, and I’ve learned more from that camp than I could ever put into words.

I grew up sitting on the couch in our Maine deer camp watching the guys chain smoke and play poker.

“what happens at camp, stays at camp” was taught to me early on.

As I got to college I went to camp less, but now I find myself there every year for at least a couple weeks. The camp is dwindling, as the guys are all in their 60s and 70s and have a hard time getting around.

I dream of keeping the camp going, but I don’t know if I’ll ever find anyone to share the experience with. I can’t believe that these types of traditions are fading away. It’s the most meaningful place I’ve been, and I’ve learned more from that camp than I could ever put into words.
It's a part of the outdoor experience that unfortunately many will never know. What few camps I still see these days lack one thing. People under the age of 25 or so. Most are filled with older fellas and one by one they slowly fade away.

Add Wall tents and Rocky Mountains and that's exactly how I cut my teeth in the elk camps i grew up.

No offense to modern day reality, but alot of truth here
Having been a part of a few Rocky Mountain hunting camps I can fully agree with you. About the only thing that is different is the scenery and the critters being chased.

Boy that sure hits home only our hunting camp was grandpa's farm house and the camp cook was grandma getting up at 5am each morning to cook fresh biscuits and gravy with homemade preservatives and the such. Boy I miss those days laying there all night dreaming of the big bucks roaming the hills of swva. Never got one in those early years but missed my share. LOL
Memories I will never forget and always cherish.

I'm kinda hard on friends so hunting camp thing never worked out for me. I like the freedom of doing what I want when I want. So I usually hunt alone. Only dangerous if you don't know what you're doing or where you're hunting.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back