3030 group

Calif. Hunter

3030%20group.jpg

This is the group I shot from my old Savage bolt-action right after I mounted the scope. The single hole at lower left of bullseye was my first shot at 100 yards after "sighting in" at 25 yards. It felt good, so I just adjusted the scope to get it close to center and then shot 3 shots. The group was 5/8 inch. Too bad it was 170 gr RN Corelokts over 32 gr IMR-4064. I want to get some spitzers to shoot this well!

Not too shabby! You don't see that kind of accuracy out of a .30-30 every day, bolt action notwithstanding. It'll be interesting to see you whip that thing into shooting spitzers. :D

I paid $125 for the rifle, a Savage 340 with no serial number, at a gun show. All I've done is taken it out of the stock, cleaned it up to remove a couple of small rust spots and removed some copper fouling with a thorough cleaning. I tracked down a side mount for a scope, put on a Tasco 3-9 scope (c'mon...the rifle was only $125!) and shot it. I'm determined to find a good spitzer load for it. A guy from another forum has the same model, and recommends 125 gr Remington Corelokts or Winchester 150 gr Power Points. So those are next on my agenda.

I also have the same rifle and mine will shoot groups like that also. I use Speer 170 gr. flat nose over 27.5 grs. of IMR 3031. I've taken several whitetails over 200 lbs. with this gun. real nice shooter!

Back