3030 group

Calif. Hunter

3030%20group.jpg

This is the group I shot from my old Savage bolt-action right after I mounted the scope. The single hole at lower left of bullseye was my first shot at 100 yards after "sighting in" at 25 yards. It felt good, so I just adjusted the scope to get it close to center and then shot 3 shots. The group was 5/8 inch. Too bad it was 170 gr RN Corelokts over 32 gr IMR-4064. I want to get some spitzers to shoot this well!

Not too shabby! You don't see that kind of accuracy out of a .30-30 every day, bolt action notwithstanding. It'll be interesting to see you whip that thing into shooting spitzers. :D

I paid $125 for the rifle, a Savage 340 with no serial number, at a gun show. All I've done is taken it out of the stock, cleaned it up to remove a couple of small rust spots and removed some copper fouling with a thorough cleaning. I tracked down a side mount for a scope, put on a Tasco 3-9 scope (c'mon...the rifle was only $125!) and shot it. I'm determined to find a good spitzer load for it. A guy from another forum has the same model, and recommends 125 gr Remington Corelokts or Winchester 150 gr Power Points. So those are next on my agenda.

I also have the same rifle and mine will shoot groups like that also. I use Speer 170 gr. flat nose over 27.5 grs. of IMR 3031. I've taken several whitetails over 200 lbs. with this gun. real nice shooter!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back