Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

300 wsm .. NEEED HELP

tndanny

I have a model 7 remington with a 23 inch er shaw barrel. Does anyone have any loads for the wsm. cant get it to shoot the way it should, i am wanting to shoot accubond 165, any help will be appreciated...thanks

I posted a reply the other day to your post and for some reason it didn't post. Anyway, use aliant reloader 19 powder...but first make sure your scope isn't the problem.

You should also try som RL17. I think Alliant brought it out with the short mags in mind. You can probably find reloading data on Alliant's website. As an added plus, it is not as temperature sensitive as other powders, kind of like Hogdon's Extreme line.

Not sure on the twist of your barrel but my 300 wsm is not a fan of 165 but loves 150s. Just a thought.

I can't imagine the twist having any impact on anything less than a 200gr bullet in a 300wsm. if you're rifle whont shoot 165, I'd keep playing with loads or sell it.

Try H4350, look for max loads on the Hogden website.

I use Conley Precision 180 TSX for everything out of my 300 short mag but am mulling federal 180 AB's.

question: I have a savage mod.110 30-06 with Tasco 3x9. Got it as a gift many Years ago. Is this a good rifle for hunting? Im in calif. now but from Hawaii and never hunted with rifles. Used bow and the old way back home with dogs and knife. any help will be appritiated.

tndanny, what have you tried to get it to shoot? Is the rifling smooth? Has it been lapped? How about the crown? What kind of stock is it in (wood or Glass)? What kind of scope is mounted?

Last, but not least, how well do you shoot other rifles?

Paakai825. WHat kind of help do you need and/or what's your question?

paakai - the .30-06 will do for anything in California. That was my first centerfire and I used nothing but it for years. The problem here is getting drawn for a good tag, or getting access to land to hunt. Fort Hunter Liggett is great. It is on the central coast. Here's a link to their hunting program -

http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt/

It's about midway between the SFO Bay area and Los Angeles.

just wanted to know if this was a good type for hunting and i did get some helpful tips from a couple of people on here. never hunted with rifle just bow and with dogs and a knife back home in Hawaii for wild boars. got the rifle as a gift a long time ago and never fired it or anything its equiped with a tasco 3x9 scope and already got advice to keep the rifle but get rid of the scope and upgrade it to something better. Thanks all for your help and advice.

paakai825-I second the advice on getting another scope. The gun will only shoot as good as the sights.
The caliber is great from deer to elk...even prarie dogs.

For my father in law's 300WSM I load sierra 150s with 67gr of IMR 4350 and a Federal 210 primer. This load chrony's at 3000fps exactly and shoots 1" or better out of a Browning Abolt.

I have a model 7 remington with a 23 inch er shaw barrel. Does anyone have any loads for the wsm. cant get it to shoot the way it should, i am wanting to shoot accubond 165, any help will be appreciated...thanks

I had the same problem. I stepped up to 180 grain. That helped alot

My wsm shoots the 180 gr. federal bonded like a tack driver. Killed moose, caribou and elk at 300 plus yards.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back