.300 WSM for Pronghorn?

That important guy needed to stand next to me as I dumped an antelope buck with my RUM and 180 E-Tip. mtmuley
Qubo, A heavy jacketed bullet may not have a chance to expand and do a lot of tissue damage, but I can guarantee you that a fast moving heavy bullet will cause sufficient hydrostatic shock and tissue damage to kill about any antelope providing you shoot him anywhere except the nose or the foot.

After seeing what my elk load (300WSM 180gr Accubond) did to a coyote, I decided that my .270 or my son’s 65CM would be the better option for pronghorn. That meat is too good and too limited to waste!

What state here in WY you can use some calibers that shoot faster lighter bullets like a 223 or 22-250….

Would a .300 WSM shooting a 130 gr. TTSX be too much for pronghorn? At this time I do have other options available but if my wife or son wanted to hunt as well, I would be using my elk rifle.

I am new to everything pronghorn so please excuse my ignorance.

The point is to kill it, use the rifle you're most comfortable shooting accurately. I've found the TTSX to be excellent for pronghorn...and everything else I've shot them at.

.300 WSM? What’s not to like?
Ammo avail and price........ other than that best caliber out there. every deer and elk ive shot, down, dead right there. absolutely love mine, finally put a muzzle brake on mine this winter and im very eager to stretch out my accuracy with it this summer

I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t overkill like it would be here in a lot of KY. And who knows, if I make a 130 gr. load I like I might use it here too.
im far from an expert and not a handloader but ive read that this caliber is better suited for accuracy with 150-180gr

The brass and headstamp doesn't kill animals, the bullet does.

The wound channel from a barnes from a 30 mag is likely to be narrower than a 243 with traditional cup and core bullet.

I have a better chance of ruining meat this fall with a 6 creedmoor and 108 berger or 103 eldx than you do with a 300 wsm shooting barnes.

Last edited:
im far from an expert and not a handloader but ive read that this caliber is better suited for accuracy with 150-180gr

People just say that because heavier bullets have to be stuffed really deep in the case to fit at the Short SAAMI max cartridge overall length (like in factory ammo) which takes up powder space and decreases efficiency. On the other side, any lead bullet lighter than 150 is going to be haulin ass and prone to coming apart or being very splashy at impact. If you can load them longer, there is no reason heavier bullets can't do great and if you're using light copper there isn't concern of over spinning a bullet or it coming apart too fast.

Current bench rest 1000 yard world record was shot with a 300 WSM and 220 grain bergers.

Well after 55 yrs hunting I've just ordered 600 hammers in 22 cal 33 gr for my hornet. Gone this way as one is liable to run across deer when hunting varmints.

Well I know what a 199 at 3100 fps does, but I had to back that load down a bit. Do you really think you'll be able to get to 3400? That's smokin'! I want to see it, but my wallet doesn't.
Steve has loaded a factory Browning to that velocity with N570. It's just a goal right now. I'm not going to push everything to the limit to get there though. I think some guys are relying on supposed strong brass to go way over pressure. That being said I've loaded Accobonds 2 grains over max for a long time. The rifle will tell me. mtmuley

Steve has loaded a factory Browning to that velocity with N570. It's just a goal right now. I'm not going to push everything to the limit to get there though. I think some guys are relying on supposed strong brass to go way over pressure. That being said I've loaded Accobonds 2 grains over max for a long time. The rifle will tell me. mtmuley
I'm going to need more N570... That's what my new PRC load is with too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back