300 wsm 174 grain hammer

It's the 24 inch barrel. I loaded up according to what Steve suggested on the Hammer forum. Found pressure and I actually backed off 2 grains and am still getting well over 3200fps. Velocities were off a LabRadar.
Rl17 is some impressive stuff.
It seems I have a relatively slow barrel and its short at 22" to boot. It starts to show pressure at mid load of every ladder I try. That said I haven't tried 17

They are super easy to find a load for! Below is four shots from a Christensen Ridgeline in 300 WSM using RL17. I settled on a final load at 3230 fps with 64 grs RL17 that put me under 1/2 MOA

Have you had problems with temp stability? I’ve got a couple pounds of it on the shelf but I’ve always heard it’s a bit temp sensitive

Man that would but unreal. Bet you see a hell of a vapor trail
Speed with monos kills. The member on Hammer is culling Bantang cattle and using the 124 in a RUM. They weigh up to a ton. Now I just need an antelope tag. I do have a cow tag. Not scared to do that. mtmuley

Speed with monos kills. The member on Hammer is culling Bantang cattle and using the 124 in a RUM. They weigh up to a ton. Now I just need an antelope tag. I do have a cow tag. Not scared to do that. mtmuley
After you were talking about the 124 in the rum I seriously looked at ordering some for the 300wsm. But then I ran the numbers and by the 400 yard mark they were within 75fps of each other. I still can’t quite break the heavier bullet habit

Have you had problems with temp stability? I’ve got a couple pounds of it on the shelf but I’ve always heard it’s a bit temp sensitive
I haven't noticed much difference in velocity, at least nothing to be concerned about. As part of my self-imposed ethical limit, I will never shoot an animal over 500 yards and I will also never hunt in extreme temperatures (-10f or over 90f) so I'm not concerned otherwise. Plus, the R17 shoots so good in some of my rifles that I can afford a few more SD's.

BTW, the Ridgeline has a tight bolt tolerance that can make it hard to find pressure signs so you'll have to go off more than just feeling for a tight bolt lift. You really have to read that brass. When in doubt, just back off a bit. At 3300 fps my bolt was more "sticky" than usual and I was getting flattened primers. Just fyi

I haven't noticed much difference in velocity, at least nothing to be concerned about. As part of my self-imposed ethical limit, I will never shoot an animal over 500 yards and I will also never hunt in extreme temperatures (-10f or over 90f) so I'm not concerned otherwise. Plus, the R17 shoots so good in some of my rifles that I can afford a few more SD's.

BTW, the Ridgeline has a tight bolt tolerance that can make it hard to find pressure signs so you'll have to go off more than just feeling for a tight bolt lift. You really have to read that brass. When in doubt, just back off a bit. At 3300 fps my bolt was more "sticky" than usual and I was getting flattened primers. Just fyi
I have the same rifle. My bolt is super sticky also. I’m hoping it loosens up a touch. A friend loaded me up some 150gr Barnes TSX’s and we found a charge that shot pretty good. I may have to go the hammer route.

After you were talking about the 124 in the rum I seriously looked at ordering some for the 300wsm. But then I ran the numbers and by the 400 yard mark they were within 75fps of each other. I still can’t quite break the heavier bullet habit
I knew the 124 wouldn't carry the velocity and energy much past that. More of a "can I do it" thing. Bet it is deadly at 500 and under. I still have my heavy bullet habit. And a box of 196's. mtmuley

I do think there is a spot with monos where weight and extreme speed come together. Hammers in many different weights helps. Just gotta crunch numbers. mtmuley

Bullets 7,8,9. Think I’ll stick with that load. Probably could have been even better if the mirage wasn’t so bad out. Not bad for a 7.8lb scoped ready to roll 300 wsm. Stretch it’s legs to 600 in the morning.
047641C0-A302-48FF-8FD4-53A30B9FC7C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back