MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

300 Win Mag vs 300 PRC

RugerHawg413

I am looking at buying a mountain rifle for all of my out west hunts. I am probably going to buy a Christensen Arms Mesa. But, I was wanting to know should I buy it in .300 Win Mag or .300 PRC? Thank you for all knowledge and wisdom!

You likely won't be able to tell the difference within hunting ranges...sure past say 500 yards the PRC ballistics edge out the WinMag based on the PRC using a higher BC bullet or higher velocity of the same BC bullet.

The availability of ammo for the 300WinMag far exceeds what is available for 300PRC.

To me it will be about the best rifle in reference to weight and materials for a mountain gun. I have a 300 and killed lots of critters with it. She was my first rifle I ever bought so she stays with me but I have have moved on to better cartridges. ( just a little better).

My next rifle will also a true mountain gun. Either a Weatherby mountain TI or Nosler Mountain Carbon. Super lightweight.

I went for 300WM last year, and my brother got a PRC this year. I don’t hand load, but my brother does.

30-06.
500 yards & under there's absolutely no need for anything more.

Heck, to that point, 308, 7mm-08.
Yep I have 7mmRemMag and a .300WSM and the last animals I have taken with either was in 2012. My .308 has been a killing machine on everything I squeezed the trigger on from 40 yds to 500+. No need for the magnum rounds at those ranges. Just picked up a 7mm08 for the wife and @schmalts is shipping me a Leupold VX3 for it.

I am looking at buying a mountain rifle for all of my out west hunts. I am probably going to buy a Christensen Arms Mesa. But, I was wanting to know should I buy it in .300 Win Mag or .300 PRC? Thank you for all knowledge and wisdom!
How far do you plan on shooting with your rifle? A mountain weight rifle in 300win or 300PRC is going to recoil pretty stout and lightweight guns are sometimes hard to control. I’d consider a 7mm Rem mag also.

From a practical perspective, the only difference is the twist rate of factory barrels (300 Win Mag 1-10” vs 300 PRC 1-8”). If you want to shoot projectiles over 220gr or solid copper projectiles over 180gr then go 300 PRC.

Not sure what I’d do if I shot factory loads. If I had aspirations of hunting Alaska or far off lands where my ammo might get lost and I’d be looking to replace it, then definitely 300 Win Mag. If I already had dies and components for both I’d probably go with the 300 PRC because I like heavy for caliber projectiles.

I’m just glad this isn’t a ridiculous question like 6.5 Creedmoor vs 300 Win Mag! 🤣

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back