Caribou Gear Tarp

300 Win Mag vs 300 PRC

From a practical perspective, the only difference is the twist rate of factory barrels (300 Win Mag 1-10” vs 300 PRC 1-8”). If you want to shoot projectiles over 220gr or solid copper projectiles over 180gr then go 300 PRC.

Not sure what I’d do if I shot factory loads. If I had aspirations of hunting Alaska or far off lands where my ammo might get lost and I’d be looking to replace it, then definitely 300 Win Mag. If I already had dies and components for both I’d probably go with the 300 PRC because I like heavy for caliber projectiles.

I’m just glad this isn’t a ridiculous question like 6.5 Creedmoor vs 300 Win Mag! 🤣
LOL, I hear you!

If you get that 280AI your going to leave home?
Probably a backup gun.
While i am looking forward to it, i have over 6,000 rounds of 7mm-08 under my belt. In all kinds of weather. Shooting to distances of 1,000 yards. (Targets)
i actually put money down on a Tikka T3X in 7mm-08.

While i do like the Weatherby, it's not without it's flaws.
Namely the stiff bolt throw.
Add to that the added powder used in this time of shortages, i'll definitely be shooting the 7mm-08 more than the 280AI.

Probably a backup gun.
While i am looking forward to it, i have over 6,000 rounds of 7mm-08 under my belt. In all kinds of weather. Shooting to distances of 1,000 yards. (Targets)
i actually put money down on a Tikka T3X in 7mm-08.

While i do like the Weatherby, it's not without it's flaws.
Namely the stiff bolt throw.
Add to that the added powder used in this time of shortages, i'll definitely be shooting the 7mm-08 more than the 280AI.
Why don't you post one of those targets using 7-08 @ 1000yd. I'm sure some using 7-08 fine that interesting.

Why don't you post one of those targets using 7-08 @ 1000yd. I'm sure some using 7-08 fine that interesting.
I've shot out to 1,000 yards.
I didn't say i shot well at 1,000 yards. :ROFLMAO:

The 1,000 yard match shooters have nothing to fear from me!!
Nor the 600 yard match shooters, for that matter.

While i've shot in 600 yard F-Open, 80 rounds from a 7mm-08 in a hunting rifle is punishing!

I've shot out to 1,000 yards.
I didn't say i shot well at 1,000 yards. :ROFLMAO:

The 1,000 yard match shooters have nothing to fear from me!!
Nor the 600 yard match shooters, for that matter.

While i've shot in 600 yard F-Open, 80 rounds from a 7mm-08 in a hunting rifle is punishing!
If you didn't "shot well" why mention it in your rd count.

If you didn't "shot well" why mention it in your rd count.
Fair enough.

While i struggle with shooting prone ( i only do it at that one shooting range) and wind calls ( a struggle for most of us) the rifle itself didn't shoot badly, per say.

I wouldn't shoot at a game animal at that distance. But that's entirely my preference, not any fault of the cartridge.

I do not, and I agree 300 win mag is a lot easier to find. Thanks!
I live out west and have most my life. if you don't load the one easiest to find ammo for everywhere whould seem to me the one to go with. That would be the 30-06! My opinion is based on the fact that I simply do not enjoy shooting any magnum cartridge any more. But at the same time the worst recoiling rifle I ever had was, in fact, a 30-06. Seem's it was a Win Mod 770 if I remember right. My present elk rifle happens to be a 30-06, custom 1903. Have killed elk with a 6.5x06, 7mm Rem Mag and 30-06.The one's I killed with the 6.5x06 was just about as dead as those shot with the 30-06.

I live out west and have most my life. if you don't load the one easiest to find ammo for everywhere whould seem to me the one to go with. That would be the 30-06! My opinion is based on the fact that I simply do not enjoy shooting any magnum cartridge any more. But at the same time the worst recoiling rifle I ever had was, in fact, a 30-06. Seem's it was a Win Mod 770 if I remember right. My present elk rifle happens to be a 30-06, custom 1903. Have killed elk with a 6.5x06, 7mm Rem Mag and 30-06.The one's I killed with the 6.5x06 was just about as dead as those shot with the 30-06.

Funny thing? Only time I’ve ever been scoped was with a buddy’s cheap Mossberg 06 with a red rubber recoil pad and razor sharp scope! It was hilarious… 🩸

Last edited:
If you can shoot well with the recoil of a 300 win mag then you will never regret owning one.
But i do love my 6.5 PRC more and more.
That being said, i will always have my .300 win mag with me if i think i may need to shoot far or i am hunting elk only.
The 6.5 PRC is a great all around cartridge for deer to elk. But past 4-500 hundred yards on elk....
The mag 30 cals are a better choice and give me confidence.

For what it's worth, Browning does offer a 1in8 twist for the 300WM on some of their X-bolt rifles now, and as others have stated, right now, 300WM ammo is a lot easier to find than 300PRC. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Both are good cartridges. both have sufficient power and are accurate. Both will work just fine. for me, I would get the Win Mag. There is nothing wrong with the PRC but ammo availability is very low and the cost is very high. Since you don't reload that's a big factor. Unless you are contemplating taking extremely long shots I just don't see how the PRC is a better choice for the average hunter than the Win Mag.

Ron Spomer just did a pretty good video comparing the WM and the PRC. Might not help you make a decision, but I thought it an interesting video nonetheless.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back