300 rum or 338 rum

Scot

I am looking at building a new gun but I can't decide between the 300 rum or a 338 rum. Just wondering if any one has had booth of these calibers and could give me any insigh? I am looking at hunting elk with it most of our shots are at 500 yards . I am cinda leaning towards the 338.

I owned a 338 rum and 300 win. Both kill elk dead.

I have since gone back to the 30-06, 270 win, and 270 wsm. They kill elk just as dead with a lot less recoil.

The 338 rum really rattled my teeth with 250 grn Partitions.

I've been shooting a 300 RUM for probably 15 years now. It has killed a lot of game. I worked up a load that really has been a tack driver. It ended up being a lot above the max in the book, just because it kept getting more accurate as I kept going up. Recoil is relatively brutal. I made sure to have a break put on it, and shoot from the bench always with a lead sled and past recoil shield. I really never notice recoil when shooting at game. I have never seen an elk react to impact quite like they do from the 300 RUM. That's why I shoot it. I only shoot 180 grain Barnes TSX bullets and it is the most deadly combination in my opinion. I have shot a few with a 338 Win Mag and the RUM is just much more impressive. I have never shot a 338 RUM though.

I have both. I don't see a huge different in recoil, but they each now have a gentry muzzle brake (gasp...yes, I know some people's thoughts on here about brakes). I find myself grabbing the .300 RUM almost every time just bc it's what I personally like the most. My load drives tacks and has taken a lot of critters.
Really you won't go wrong with whatever caliber you choose. Good luck!

I'm a wienie as far as recoil goes. Both of those calibers kill at both ends!

I have a .338 RUM, it has a muzzle brake and I shoot 250 grain Barnes TSX. It does kick but I find that now that I have shot it a bit I am a lot more comfortable with it I know what to expect and don't flinch. I know one thing, those 250 grain bullets hit like a freight train and its pretty darn accurate.

I would say that your decision should probably be based on brass/powder/bullet availability and expense between the two calibers. They will both be expensive to shoot if you shoot them much, but you will always have good availability with .308 bullets.

Either one is going to punish you and the animals. I am not in the monster magnum crowd. I like my 7 mags, or as Guy Eastman said, "Entry level magnums".

I have a 300 rum love it, can't speak for the 338 but would assume it's a good round. Mine has recoil but with the r3 recoil pad and the wood stock it's not all that bad. Mine really likes the accubond in the 180 but going elk hunting next year and going to try to work up a load for 200 grain accubond. I have only hunted whitetail with mine I know it's overkill and have since switched to the 7mm08 but I love the 300 rum mine is named Betty Lou!! In my opinion you couldn't go wrong with it. Mine is a Remington 700 bdl custom deluxe, beautiful as well as deadly.

I have both 300 and 338 RUM's, not much difference between the two, I don't have a brake on either, the recoil gets your attention, but not a deal breaker. I would have liked to shoot the 250 grain bullets out of the 338 but my rifle decided it like and grouped the 225's much better, couldn't get under a 2" group with the 250's. Brass for either are sometimes difficult to come by, I just stock up when it is available, Remington only does 1 run a year on both calibers brass. Hope that helps? Any questions PM me!

Recoil dose not bother me I am cinda a. Big guy . How long can I expet a barel to last I was going to get a barel from hart . I don't get to shoot a lot maybe 100 rounds a year out of each gun. I have not had a gun in bouth of those calibers and figured they would be the best for shooting elk at a little longer range. Cost of Reloading them seams to close to the same $ . I think any ways I could be wrong.

Why such a canon! 500 and in I would take one of the following 7 rem, 280 Ackley, 270 win, 6.5x284, or even a 6.5x47 I guess I am just a pansy. I have shot dozens of 338s and close to a 100 300 RUMs and when im done collecting data from them I want to go back to a 22 and correct my flinch.. Thats just my honest opinion but If you gotta have one go with the 338 so your guaranteed no shoulder to pack out

I mean really its all about shot placement this bull took one step backwards before falling over dead with a 180 gr bullet out of a 7mm @ 1258 yards

Of the two, get the .300 RUM. You will always get the detractors that say "why a cannon?" Well, why the Heck not? I've loaded and hunted with the .300 RUM for 15 years also. Loaded for the .338 a bunch. No brake on mine. The .300 is very capable to as far as most hunters can/will shoot. The extra bullet weight and diameter in the .338 won't mean squat. I do want a .338 though. Mostly for LR steel. mtmuley

My brother has a 7 mm and loves it. One of the reasons I was thinking of a 338 was one of the spots I might start hunting there will be some long shots like 1300 yards I would like to get. Closer but there is a reason why the elk pile in there u can only get in in one spot due to train and then you the wind will get u every time at least that is what I have been tould my brother hunts it I don't have a gun that I feal comfortable at shooting long range with or past 300 yards I was thinking that it was only one 500 but he was telling me tonight his deer was at 1200 this year in kinda that same area

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back