Caribou Gear Tarp

$300 Rilfe Scopes

A scope that will fit your needs very well is Nikon's M-Tactical 3-12x42 MOA/MRAd reticle. This scope has a 30mm tube and MONARCH glass and zero reset turrets in case you want to dial in your shots too and all for sub $400. I have 2 on order for .308 AR's, should be big fun.

Sightron S-Tac or SII. Exac-Trac is the same as Weaver’s Micro-Trac tf you want a scope to go where you dial it, that is the cheapest one. The S-Tac uses SIII quality glass, but is assembled in the Philippines and painted instead of anodized to give a lower price point. I have one and like it a lot, although it is a little big. Leupold makes great stuff, including stuff that’s better than an S-Tac, but not at that price point. Erector tubes are round, and standard adjustment hardware interfaces with the erector tube in a way that causes horizontal adjustment to give some vertical movement and vertical adjustment to give some horizontal movement. Good scopes will move when you dial them, and stay there, but they won’t go exactly where you tried to dial them. For a sight in once and leave it there hunting gun, that’s fine. Most companies only incorporate the fixes that result in proper tracking into their target and/or high end scopes. Exact-Trac/Micro-Trac is one of those systems and the S-Tac is the cheapest series I’m aware of that offers such tracking abilities. You might find a Weaver Grand Slam in your price range if you catch one on sale, and it’s a slightly better scope that’s made in Japan.

Last edited:
I'm another vote for the Sightron STAC.
I'm using the 4-20X50. It's a 30mm tube. I'm running it on a custom Mauser in 284 Win. With an EGW 20 MOA solid base, and low Warne rings.

When you start shooting at distance, the higher magnification lets you see the mirage better, for wind adjustments.
That and it has a fine line with center dot for the reticle.

I got an "open box special" from Amazon for $350.

I'm another vote for the Sightron STAC.
I'm using the 4-20X50. It's a 30mm tube. I'm running it on a custom Mauser in 284 Win. With an EGW 20 MOA solid base, and low Warne rings.

When you start shooting at distance, the higher magnification lets you see the mirage better, for wind adjustments.
That and it has a fine line with center dot for the reticle.

I got an "open box special" from Amazon for $350.

He’s looking for an MOA reticle, which Sightron offers. For paper punching I prefer the fine wire with a dot. For hunting I prefer a duplex or not too busy MOA or MIL type. The fine wire and dot will actually completely disappear in low light, and I’m not talking last minute, it will disappear LONG before the last minute. Luckily I know this from shooting prairie dogs, not something more important. Just something to consider if there’s a chance you will deviate from shooting targets with the gun. You can find them from Optics planet in $350 range without the box being open if you wait it out right. They almost always have a 10% off coupon code, so sign-up for their e-mails and give it a week or two. This time of year they will probably throw on some even better promos. Keep your eye on Optics Planet deals any time you’re looking for anscope even if you decide on a different brand than Sightron. You can also get the 3-16 S-Tac for a little less than the 4-20.

Last edited:
If I read your first post correctly and you're thinking primarily target/range use, take a look at the Athlon Midas Tac. https://athlonoptics.com/product/midas-tac-6-24x50-mil/ It is above your price goal, but by checking around it can be found well below their stated MSRP. Opinions and preferences vary widely, but for PRS style shooting I prefer first-focal-plane (FFP) scopes and enough zoom to see where impacts are at on targets. Vortex has a new Diamondback Tactical that's more in your price range and FFP, but I don't think it has zero stop on the turret. I've seen the Diamondback around $335 on recent sales. http://vortexoptics.com/product/vor...-24x50 FFP-riflescope_with_ebr-2c_moa-reticle

I have an Athlon Midas Tac and it seems to be a good scope at this point. The first one that I got had to go back, as it would not hold zero. The one that I have now is a great scope and seems to track well. It will not be in the OP's price range, though. I got mine on a great deal from a small dealer and it was still over 500 bucks. The only thing that I do not like about it, is that at max power, it has a fine dot in the middle instead of a solid crosshair. My eyes don't pick it up well, but it seems easy to bracket the bullseye at that power. Overall, it seems like a very good, heavily-built scope with clear glass and positive click adjustments, along with a capped windage knob.

I have to say, that i still prefer my 10x Super Chickens over my other scopes.

I ordered a 10x super chicken and it will be arriving on Monday. Thanks for all the great information guys! I don't actually have the rifle yet and am going to wait on the purchase for a sale. I'll post a bit of a predicament I'm running into on the firearm thread.

I ordered a 10x super chicken and it will be arriving on Monday. Thanks for all the great information guys! I don't actually have the rifle yet and am going to wait on the purchase for a sale. I'll post a bit of a predicament I'm running into on the firearm thread.

Good choice. I just got my third one, to go along with my two, 6x!

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with the SWFA 10x. This is mostly going to be a range rig with possibly some bean field whitetail hunting in its future depending on how that goes. Where I hunt I rarely shoot over 200 yards and will still stick with the old Model 70 '06 because it's my first true love. But shooting tiny groups at longer ranges sounds like a fun thing to try to figure out.

Another vehement vote for SWFA. Their scopes punch WAY above their weight class when it comes to tracking and precision. I have spent a fair amount of time with them. SWFA is about the only turret scope I would mess with until you get up to the Bushnell Elite LRTS or Nightforce.

SWFA 3-9X40 headed to Hoosier-land to sit on top of a Tikka 260 Rem. I have high hopes for that combo. 'Specially once the rings get here from the UK.

If anybody needs another 3-9 SS pm me , I'm tossing one up for sale today, replacing with an LRHS that's been waiting patiently in the cabinet through the season.

If anybody needs another 3-9 SS pm me , I'm tossing one up for sale today, replacing with an LRHS that's been waiting patiently in the cabinet through the season.
Dang, wish I would've known... Looking forward to seeing what one of these is like after reading about them for some time.

You won't regret it!!! I have 2 SS that are 16x and I have no complaints. They do just what they are supposed to do-track well and hold zero all day every day. If you wouldn't have gone with the SS, my next personal choice would have been a VX-3i. The fact of the matter is that you just get more bang for your buck with a SS in the $300 range than you would with a Leupold. Once you go up in price $100-$200 though, then the Leupold becomes a no-brainer. Just my two cents. You're gonna love that SS though! Happy shooting!

You won't regret it!!! I have 2 SS that are 16x and I have no complaints. They do just what they are supposed to do-track well and hold zero all day every day. If you wouldn't have gone with the SS, my next personal choice would have been a VX-3i. The fact of the matter is that you just get more bang for your buck with a SS in the $300 range than you would with a Leupold. Once you go up in price $100-$200 though, then the Leupold becomes a no-brainer. Just my two cents. You're gonna love that SS though! Happy shooting!

I have had one Leupold, and it failed-twice. Done with them. I have had great luck with the SWFA and they also have great customer service. I have tried a couple other scopes, just thinking outside the box, but unless I decide to lay out a bunch of money on Nightforce, etc., I will stay with the SWFA as my favorite, no frills scope.

I have had one Leupold, and it failed-twice. Done with them. I have had great luck with the SWFA and they also have great customer service. I have tried a couple other scopes, just thinking outside the box, but unless I decide to lay out a bunch of money on Nightforce, etc., I will stay with the SWFA as my favorite, no frills scope.

I don't think you should give up on the Leupold. They're a great company with great products. But in the price range I'm looking it seems that SWFA is a better value. I've personally had a Leupold on my hunting rifle for about 20 years with no issues and the glass is still competitive with today's priced models.

So these SWFA SS zero stop shims... couldn't a guy just make some of their own? Using washers or possibly a drilled out piece of hardwood? Or would that somehow wreck the scope?

So these SWFA SS zero stop shims... couldn't a guy just make some of their own? Using washers or possibly a drilled out piece of hardwood? Or would that somehow wreck the scope?

Nylon washers would be better than metal ones I would guess, but have no idea if/how this would work - but definitely go nylon if you are going to try.

All my go to rifles have SWFAs.. 6x42, 10x42, and 1-4x. All my Leupolds except one M8 6x42 are sitting in their boxes. You can use rubber garden hose washers for zero stops. Big Stick outlined that very well a couple years ago on 24hourcampfire, just pop off the turret, and depending on how much elevation is left put one or two washers in the turret, set it back on and tighten the set screws. Since they are rubber it is a soft stop so its easy on the guts of your scope. You can generally take it about a half mil past zero but you definitely feel a difference.

Ben

Some dead critters from this fall courtesy of SWFA scopes.....

A6492174-F9C3-42BC-9114-02F0D1132FD0.jpg

923DDAF2-C0D7-41C1-8FE1-F4D2C9DD6640.jpg

7F67B9F7-EC46-4505-AC9A-EFEBD9B3C7AA.jpg

B282B687-B8E9-4C72-B49F-5CE414DC15B2.jpg

4F911D60-656F-4C74-A9B9-FB395E702326.jpg125CE19A-B9CD-45C6-8A19-3AB093F8B93E.jpg

They hold up well.

Ben

Back