300 Gr. SST or XTP Mag for elk?

Fire Hawk

I have shot a lot with the SST in 300 grain this year and am very pleased with its accuracy and flat trajectory. I shot all the way through an approximately 10" thick Aspen tree trunk that had fallen over near our deer camp. I never found that bullet. Seems to have plenty of penetration capability. But....... it is a polycarbonate tip bullet. I have this thing with ballistic tip bullets and wonder whether or not this bullet was designed to handle animals as large as an elk.

I know the XTP mags shoot well too. Should I be looking at those instead? Are they tougher than the SST bullets? Anyone out there shoot an elk with an 300 grain SST bullet yet? Please help!

Firehawk

Firehawk:

Is a 300 Grain bullet good enough for elk??? :)

Yep! I shoot a 180 grain InterBond from my 300 win mag for big game and that has plenty of knockdown power. As far as tougher bullets, any bonded or A-Frame bullet is the way to go.

Opinions on bullets is like opinions on ice cream flavors, everyone has their favorite and it works fine for them!

My first elk I shot was with a 150 grain 7 mm mag bullet at 30 yards. Bullet didn't stay together, but killed the elk!

Good luck hunting!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back