30 Nosler

Addicting

I’m fighting a itch to get a new rifle. 28 Nosler is calling my name but the Ammo and brass availability is a train wreck. I’ve also been looking at the 30 Nosler but fear it will end up in the same situation and be to expensive to own/shoot.

Anyone else struggling with this?

Do you reload? If so I bet you can get the 300 Win Mag to shoot within 100-150 fps with components that are 1/3 the price. I don't know of many rifles chambered in 30 Nosler but I bet it would weigh the same as a 300 Win Mag.

One thing I would consider if building a rifle get a 1:9 or faster twist for long heavy bullets. If I were to go for a build I'd choose either the 300WinMag or go big with a 300RUM and burn some powder

Some good advice given above. Are you buying a factory rifle or custom? If you want a 30cal nothing wrong with the 300win or 300RUM. If you want a 7mm the 28 is awesome. I love mine shooting 195s! Also just stock up on some brass and it will last.

Get a RUM. mtmuley

Unfortunately, doesn’t look like I will ever need that much gun to hunt with. Grizzlies are still endangered and Trex went extinct. But then again the FPS folks are squeezing out of a RUM is dead sexy!

I don't own a 30 Nosler, but I've shot a Nosler M48 "Long Range" rifle chambered in that round and was really impressed. Shooting 180s it had very similar recoil to my 7mm Rem. There are certainly other rounds that would be easier to get components for, but for powder quantity to fps ratio, the 30 Nosler is pretty sweet.

I have a RUM, or two, so I went with the 26 Nosler (cause everyone needs another 6.5). A real shooter.
It uses as much powder as a RUM :rolleyes:

I don't own a 30 Nosler, but I've shot a Nosler M48 "Long Range" rifle chambered in that round and was really impressed. Shooting 180s it had very similar recoil to my 7mm Rem. There are certainly other rounds that would be easier to get components for, but for powder quantity to fps ratio, the 30 Nosler is pretty sweet.

This combo is on my short list, the 28 Nosler would be ahead of it if you could buy bullets. How heavy was that rig all set up?

This combo is on my short list, the 28 Nosler would be ahead of it if you could buy bullets. How heavy was that rig all set up?

The guy who's rifle I was shooting was a smith for Nosler, and he had a VX3i Long Range scope and bipod mounted. The whole thing probably went 8-9 pounds. It was a sweet rig. I was covetous.

I'd hold out for the 28 Nosler. Ballistics are impressive and it's becoming very popular. I bet reloading components and ammo become readily available. Or just roll with a standard 300 or 7MM mag. They are still top notch performers.

I have a Nosler 30. DO NOT buy the hype that the .30 is just another 300WM ( which I also own and hunted for years with). Unless your different than most your not gonna take a .30 or RUM or 300 out to the range and shot boxes and boxes of ammo. The .30 shoots like a dream , the recoil is very manageable and lets face it, unless you reload, they are all expensive to shoot.
I have most likely too many guns in many configurations. I always wanted a custom gun and doing the research I settled on the .30 ( Nosler and Leupold because I live in Oregon) My chrono matches the Nosler said speed. Speed isn't that importunate to me, energy is. That's where the .30 and RUM come into play. Both are great.
My buddy has a .28 Nosler and loves his also. His is a Browning Hells Canyon. Mine s a Nosler custom.

FWIW you can now get 28 Nosler brass from a handful of websites at about $2.75-3 a piece but 30 Nosler seems to be out of stock. Though I think I saw some 30 Nosler ammo for about the same price as the brass = fireformed brass when you do start reloading.

I'll agree with MTMuley that you're already in big boom status why not go for the 300 Ultra because according to reloading data the 30Nosler just doesn't do what a 300WM can't already. Admittedly a competent reloading will make a 30 Nosler shine

Last edited:
Unfortunately, doesn’t look like I will ever need that much gun to hunt with. Grizzlies are still endangered and Trex went extinct. But then again the FPS folks are squeezing out of a RUM is dead sexy!

Huh? Go with the 28.... unless you don’t need that much gun... then go with a 7-08...

Lets stop all the madness. Being a 300Wm fan I think its a great cartridge, Maybe one the best all around. BUT it is not equal with the .30 Nosler in any category.

At 300 yards

300 WM 2526 Ft energy @2447PFS with 190 Gr Accubond
.30 Nosler 3193 FT Energy @ 2617 FPS with 210GR Accubond
300 RUM 3015 FP Energy at 2741 FPS with 210 Gr Accubond

thats 25% more energy and 10% faster with a .30 Nosler 210 Gr vs. 300 WM190GR.

The RUM and .30 Nosler are more similar. The RUM is a tad faster with the Energy going to the .30

I have a Nosler 30. DO NOT buy the hype that the .30 is just another 300WM ( which I also own and hunted for years with). Unless your different than most your not gonna take a .30 or RUM or 300 out to the range and shot boxes and boxes of ammo. The .30 shoots like a dream , the recoil is very manageable and lets face it, unless you reload, they are all expensive to shoot.
I have most likely too many guns in many configurations. I always wanted a custom gun and doing the research I settled on the .30 ( Nosler and Leupold because I live in Oregon) My chrono matches the Nosler said speed. Speed isn't that importunate to me, energy is. That's where the .30 and RUM come into play. Both are great.
My buddy has a .28 Nosler and loves his also. His is a Browning Hells Canyon. Mine s a Nosler custom.

Have you been able to shoot the 28 and 30 side? Shooting the same bullet weight the 28 should win out ballisticly. Just wondering if there is any difference in the felt recoil between the two or if it so menuet it’s not worth discussion.

The RUM has been out since 1999. Probly not cool anymore. A big .30 gulps powder and has recoil, no matter which one. You can argue efficiency among them all day long. Splitting hairs. With Nosler issues concerning brass, I would be cautious investing in one. If you do, buy components when available. Especially brass. The RUM went through a shortage and other brass makers from Remington stepped up. My bet is the Nosler won't fare as well. mtmuley

Bertram has already stepped up with Nosler Brass. Very good quality brass also. Another aspect I look at is if you buy 100-150pcs of brass it will last the lifetime of the barrel given you don’t overload the brass in a big overbore caliber like the 28,30 or a RUM.

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back