30 Nosler

Finally the Begera B14 Hunter. This one had a great stock with a soft touch feel and very good action. Plus it was half the price of the Nosler and 100 cheaper than the Rem. It was a winner in my book for what it cost. The only issue is that they don’t chamber it in 280AI. It does come in 300win mag but I keep going back to that 280AI due to recoil concerns.

What about the B-14 in 7mm RM? Very similar ballistically to the .280 AI. My dad has a B-14 chambered in that round, and man that thing shoots.

It does come in 300win mag but I keep going back to that 280AI due to recoil concerns.

You're as flaky as one of my teenage daughters. :)

What about the B-14 in 7mm RM? Very similar ballistically to the .280 AI. My dad has a B-14 chambered in that round, and man that thing shoots.

I am struggling with what I want and what’s practical. The B14 in either that or 30-06 is way more practical for what I am going to need it to do. It just doesn’t excite me....

Maybe even a 22-250.

What is on my mind is I want to fill the gap and .30 does it. With my wife joining me next year I am going to let her take the 6.5 and I will take the new rifle. 30 Nosler is the new kid on the block and has a certain “wow factor” especially when I held a round today. But it is impractical and will be a safe queen. I hadn’t held a 300 win mag till today, after doing so and looking at the actual ammo in my hand I think it will end up a Safe Queen too. 30-06 is boring and I don’t think I will get it out of the safe except if I have to, safe queen. A 308 is on the table but from what I’ve been reading it falls off too much in the heavier grain bullets ethically to go 4-500 yards for me. So what’s left? Doing a 160g 7mm bullet seems like The next step.

Last edited:
My buddy has a .28 Nosler. Ballistically its better them the 7MM. Its a great round and not boring. Look at the specs. My buddy has a Browning which is less than a Nosler.

You are considering the .308 but not the .30-06? I'm lost, and I think you are too. mtrmuley

You are considering the .308 but not the .30-06? I'm lost, and I think you are too. mtrmuley

This^

7 rm with 165/168 will kill anything in North America up to a grand, 28 with a 195 will bring it to 1500 or so. Inside 500 either will knock the feet out from under anything that walks on land. So far the only thing I have gotten from this thread is that the OP is looking for a 30-06, maybe a 30-06 AI so he can be different.

I have virtually every caliber listed in this thread, More often than not you will find us in the field with the 7rm loaded with 168 Vlds, going on 22 animals in 2 years none of which have taken a step. From 35-943 yards.

Last edited:
Your right, I’m am lost trying to figure out my next rifle. Money doesn’t grow on trees and this needs to be the right purchase. I appreciate your advice, hence why I spent all day at 3 different stores looking at rifles.

Seriously, if it were me, and I wanted a .30 for the use you described, .300 Winchester. Next up, .30-06. In a 7, the 7mm Remington with a 160 is killer. Cool factor is irrelevant. mtmuley

Seriously I agree with MT. No way I’d pay the price of that bergara either. The AWR has a grayboe stock which is pillar bedded and epoxy/fiberglass not plastic. Also features a 5r barrel and cerakote finish.

I found a friend with a 300win mag and he will let me take it to the range after next week.

On that Greyboe stock structurally it’s good, it was the finish they decided to use that makes it feel that way. I had all 3 side by side at Cabelas and there was a definite difference.

Let me throw you for another loop, you don't want the .30-06, and think the .30 Nosler and .300 RUM are too much, what about a .300WSM? I have two of them and a .300WM for hunting at home in AK. I'm also a huge fan of the .280 and .280AI, but my .280 Rem has been neglected lately. I think the .30-06 will do everything you are wanting it do and then some.

After much debate and advice the new rifle comes home tomorrow. The rest of the components should be here by next Friday. Looking forward to assembling it and building rounds on the reloading bench.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back