30-06 ????

Preacher shaner

Ok. I have a 6.5 manbun i love shooting it its my go to for any thing up to muledeer. I am shooting 140 grn game king. I have a 7mm mag with 175 ELDs for any thing muledeer and up.
I have a 3006 and i dont know what grn i should be at with it. I want it to be m
Back up for both of the other two. So not two big for WV or PA deer or WY speed goats but will work if i need it to for elk or moose. Wixh is coming in 5 years.
What loads do yall recommend.
Thanks.

Reactions: Guy
I shoot 165gr accubonds from Federal Premium in my Howa 1500 30-06. The 180grs didn't group as well.

From experience hunting MD, PA, VA, WV, with a Savage 110 in 06, i'll advise the following.
If using only "factory" ammo then the Federal Premium with the 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Second choice would be Winchester Silver Tip. Still a Ballistic Tip bullet, different color plastic nose, moly coated.

If hand loading, something in the 4350 range and the 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, or the "Combined Technologies" 165gr Silver Tip.

Never, and i mean NEVER, had to track a deer with that combination. Most deer shot 300 yards or less. Where i shot it was where i found it.

Man i miss that gun!!

Reactions: Guy
I vote for the 165 Accubonds. Much of this depends on your particular rifle but I have always had solid performance and grouping from Accubond factory loads in my .06. On that note I personally use 150grn Accubonds and have had zero problems taking Elk, deer and bear over the years.

My Kimber likes the 180 Scirocco. Might be a tad heavy for a whitetail, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on one up to an elk.

My Kimber likes the 180 Scirocco. Might be a tad heavy for a whitetail, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on one up to an elk.
A friend if mine has piled up a lot of critters with that bullet in an .06. Including elk. If they made a heavy one, I'd probly run it through my RUM. Great bullet. mtmuley

Couple of years back, I used the 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip, handloaded, with excellent results on:

Black bear @ 325 yards, one shot
Antelope @ 245 yards, one shot
Mule deer @ 140 yards, dropped at the first shot and had to finish it when I walked up on the fallen deer
Elk @ 338 yards, one shot, quick kill

All with the same rifle, scope and load. If I was more serious about elk hunting, I'd have likely opted for the 165 gr Nosler Partition. It was a good season.

Did bump up to the 200 for grizzly.

Regards, Guy

A friend if mine has piled up a lot of critters with that bullet in an .06. Including elk. If they made a heavy one, I'd probly run it through my RUM. Great bullet. mtmuley
I used it in both my RUMs with 98 grains of H1000. Nice load. Could knock the wind out of a Buick.

I'm a guy that thinks that for each cartridge there's one perfect weight bullet. Used a 308 most my life with 165gr Hornady SP's. Several years ago I started hunting elk with a 30-06 I'd inherited years ago. My idea has always been the in the 30-06 a 180gr bullet was the perfect answer, does all I would ask of it. With a 180gr bullet the velocity is slowed enough that I think the 180gr in a standard cup and core is all that's required from a 30-06. But, of course, if you favor say the 150 or 165gr bullet,and it works, who's to say it's wrong. Knew a guy years ago that only hunted with a 30-06 and his bullet of choice was a 220gr RN! Must be a good choice, worked well for him!

My old 700-06 likes 165's best. Now shooting 165 Nosler AB's with great success. 12 yrs ago it was Fed. Barnes 165's.
It has never grouped 180's tight,any brand.

I'm a guy that thinks that for each cartridge there's one perfect weight bullet. Used a 308 most my life with 165gr Hornady SP's. Several years ago I started hunting elk with a 30-06 I'd inherited years ago. My idea has always been the in the 30-06 a 180gr bullet was the perfect answer, does all I would ask of it. With a 180gr bullet the velocity is slowed enough that I think the 180gr in a standard cup and core is all that's required from a 30-06. But, of course, if you favor say the 150 or 165gr bullet,and it works, who's to say it's wrong. Knew a guy years ago that only hunted with a 30-06 and his bullet of choice was a 220gr RN! Must be a good choice, worked well for him!

Your statement is one of the reasons an :06 is still (after all these years) one of the most versatile rifles a hunter can have (my .02). With todays bullet technology there are very few negatives. In big game rifles I have owned 325WSM, 300, 308, 30:06 and a 270. I have owned my REM 700 :06 the longest and of all those rifles the only two I still own are the :06 and the 270. The 270 rarely finds it's way into the field these days.

Big fan of the :06!

Your statement is one of the reasons an :06 is still (after all these years) one of the most versatile rifles a hunter can have (my .02). With todays bullet technology there are very few negatives. In big game rifles I have owned 325WSM, 300, 308, 30:06 and a 270. I have owned my REM 700 :06 the longest and of all those rifles the only two I still own are the :06 and the 270. The 270 rarely finds it's way into the field these days.

Big fan of the :06!
My only hunting rifle I own now besides one mz. The 30-30 is still a good tool in my truck...the old 22 gets little use anymore.

For the .30-06 I see the 165gr weight as optimum as it is compromise that hurts nothing. I have been using the 165gr Sierra GameKing for a number of years now with good results on paper and success in the field. However, with a desire to switch to non lead options, I went down in bullet weight to a 150gr, so I could pick up a bit more speed and thus make the copper bullet work better. I have some Nosler E-tips in that weight I’m trying first as they were the right price, but not at all against trying the 150gr TTSX. I figure my other rifle is a .338-06 and by keeping the heavy bullets to that rifle, I can pick up some speed and flatter trajectory with the .30-06.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back