MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

30-06 vs 300 WM in the real world?

I am not a speed guy in regards to rifles. I am always most interested in accuracy at distance. I do carry a 300 browning win mag I won at a RMEF BQT and its a lucky gun for me. I have been shooting 180 accubonds and I killed my first bull with that rifle. I don't know why but the good old 06 doesn't do it for me as I have a 308 that I love.

I shoot both and choose based on distance. Less than 400 yards, I choose the 30-06 with 165gr, over that, I choose my 300WM with either 180gr or 200gr.

I have a rifle in each caliber, one is blued and weighs 7lbs with scope, the other is SS and weighs 8.25lbs scoped. Both are capable, but I find myself reaching for the lighter 30-06 more now. It just does the job, but with less recoil.

I have a long time partner with both. He had a 300 win made custom out of high school. Beautiful rifle. Most of the time he shoots the 06 his father gave him. I asked him why and he responded with "It doesn't hurt and gets the job done". One of the writers once put in an article "shoot the gun that you shoot well". If you find abuse in your rifle it will show in your performance. You won't shoot enough to maintain your skill level.

Saw two elk shot within seconds of each other with each caliber, same 180 bullet weight, while hunting with a friend. Shot placement had way more effect than the additional speed of the mag. He hit the elk forward of the leg center chest (quartering to angle) with his 30-06 and it was instant lights out. I double lunged mine behind the shoulder with my 300 WM and the elk ran 100 yards or so before laying down. So on elk sized game, I would say they both work great, but shot placement dominated the comparison.

I believe the 300 mag advantage is extra range until below min energy level (adds 150 yards or so over the 30-06). I believe this range occurs well beyond where I can properly place a bullet, so it is mute point for myself. I just checked my ballistics and I have min energy for elk to 800 yards at my hunting elevation. I don’t shoot much past 300 yards and don’t expect to ever need the full potential of the magnum. The extra recoil and noise are always there unfortunately, even if the extra range is not needed.

Go with what you shoot best, both have excellent performance.

I have a pair of Ruger M77s, one in each caliber and load 165 gr sierras for both. I've used each for years and see very little difference in performance. The 300 is a little faster and a little heavier, thats about it.

I personally hunt with a 300 H&H Mag because it was gifted to me and I reload for it and any thing the 300 Win Mag can do my 300 H&H Mag will do.
Now if I was buying a New Rifle for North America I would just pick up a 30-06 bolt action with a 24-26 inch barrel, why it has all the range one needs or should be shooting at Big Game Ethically.
Just my .02 cent. The 30-06 is not to be underestimated and with today's bullets its even better.
Hunting is not target shooting and no matter how good you or your rifle is you cannot get away from bullet time of flight to target,and at extended range can you can't tell me when a Deer or Elk is going to take a step.
You could of doped the wind figured the drop and made a correct shot and the animal takes a step and in the time the bullet gets there it takes one step and now you gut shot a Majestic Animal.
Breath of fresh air here. I'm new here; on some groups deer and elk don't walk at all, they just wait for a bullet to arrive from 600 yards ("a chip shot") away. Refreshing to hear about ethical shots, and avoiding meat wastage in the short time I have been here.

In regards to the .300 WinMag, I have one because my mentor, a true Mountain Man, who spent the entire elk season in a wall tent in the mountains, waiting until the last week to kill his elk so he could keep hunting, sang its praises. Having said that, if you're going that route, don't go for an ultralight rifle; 9# scoped is fine, and you have to practice more to get used to the recoil. Like 10-15 rounds 2-3x per week for me the month before a big hunt. Also, shoot off sticks from sitting or kneeling position, not off the bench so that you practice in field conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back