30-06 vs 300 WM in the real world?

JGJohnson

I am looking for some real world information and experience comparing the 06 and the 300. In the next year or two I would like to have an all weather rifle built so my Super Grade can stay home on hunts where nasty weather is a real possibility. The big question is on caliber. The rifle could potentially be used on anything in the west from deer and elk to bear. I would also say a moose hunt or two in the north is a very real possibility at some point.

What have you seen as far as comparing the two? Impact on game? Difference in ranging ability? No real difference at all?

If you were picking between the two, which would you go with and why?

Bullets matter more than headstamps. Shot through a moose with a 180 Accubond going 2800 fps. Personally, between those 2, I'm going 30-06 as I haven't found a need for 200 more fps. Less recoil, consistent bullet performance, for me effective out to about 600 yards.

Personally, I'd say that at modest distances, there's not much difference. It's the same bullet, just at different velocities. The .300 starts to shine at long distances. If I were a hunter shooting inside of 300, I'd just get a 30-06 and save myself some punishment. If I was interested in shooting critters at 500 yards, I'd go for the .300.

Bullets matter more than headstamps. Shot through a moose with a 180 Accubond going 2800 fps. Personally, between those 2, I'm going 30-06 as I haven't found a need for 200 more fps. Less recoil, consistent bullet performance, for me effective out to about 600 yards.

+1

Unless your shooting heavy ultra high BC bullets really far, I would pick the -06 for less recoil. I have built plenty of both, reloaded plenty for both, and shot plenty of both out to beyond a grand. For what it’s worth a 165 under some rl 22 in a 30-06 case is pushing 3k FPS and that’s pretty darn close if not the same as 300 wm performance.

Last edited:
You add about 20-30 yds on a maximum point blank range by going to a 300 mag. Doesnt seem like much for the added recoil, noise, etc... I would consider one if I consistently shot heavy for caliber bullets at larger game. Screenshot_20200212-204745_Samsung Internet.jpg20200212_204847.jpg

I've owned the 300 Win Mag, the 300 WSM, and the 30-06.

All are great cartridges. My preference is the 30-06 as it works just peachy and is easier on the shooter. None are a bad choice. I did sell a sporter-weight 300 Rem Ultra Mag, 'cause it was beating me up a bit much and I didn't want to go to a muzzle brake. That was however, one heck of a rifle.

The 30-06 gave me a kill on elk at 340 yards with a single 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. It also gave me pronghorn, mule deer, black bear, wolf and grizzly. I'm satisfied.

Guy

I was being snarky about the 6.5, but really, if it were me I'd probably go -06. I'm actually a .308 guy but I oscillated between a .300 WM and .308 for a lot of years. Ultimately, experience bore out that the .308 was adequate for everything I hunt in MT, and lighter, and I was tired of getting beat up by the .300 WM. That's me. I'm kinda a fan of .270s as well, but I'm 47y/o been hunting for almost 3 decades at this point, and I'm really not too interested in Magnums anymore. They're great for what they do, but I don't find them necessary for what I do.

As for moose, people have used the -06 on moose for a 100 years. My father-in-law grew up in Fairbanks, he always hunted moose with a .270 or a .35 Remington.

my preference in this caliber group is the 300 H & H, but then the 30-06

as others have already said, with a premium bullet it wont matter much. You will be able to reach out a bit further with the 300wm, even further with the 300wea

Foxtrot1, how does the 300 H & H measure up ?

BTW---if you decide to go with the 30-06, check out Gun Broker, they have two 30-06's Winchester model 70's with the serial number--1 and 2 for only 1,750,000.00, unfortunately they will not sell them separately

Last edited:
But seriously you can’t go wrong with either. Unless you have interest in hunting 400+ yards consistently I’d go ‘06. Less recoil, less noise, cheaper/more available ammo, and will still kill anything in North America. Hell it even has excelled in Europe and the Pacific 😉

what type of ammunition are you planning on shooting with either one? Are you planning on going heavy for caliber with traditional bullets or lead free? If you’re going traditional it’s a toss up if you’re going lead free keep in mind those bullets need to be going faster to perform so the 300 might have a slight edge

Back