30-06 Recommendations

He was saying the Bergara felt weird, you're missing out by dismissing Tikka out of hand. They are outstanding rifles.
They just aren't for me. Can't get the feeling of plastic out of my head from the one I handled in 2004. I'm sure they are fine, but I'll keep my Remingtons. mtmuley

They just aren't for me. Can't get the feeling of plastic out of my head from the one I handled in 2004. I'm sure they are fine, but I'll keep my Remingtons. mtmuley
There is a coating on the plastic Bergera stocks that feels good to the hand. It initially won me over and I bought it because of that. After having it for a while and chasing random flyers in groups, I had it bedded. That fixed the flyers but the stock still had a lot of flex. The bolt had more play than I liked and the handle kept twisting loose.

Darn thing shot .75moa all day long. Had an amazing elk kill with it at a distance that most would surely criticize.

But just didn’t like the balance and the stock flex. I only knew that after carrying it up and down hills for a season.

I took that knowledge and handled a few of the nicer tikkas and I would have gladly ran them thru the same test. That one I listed the OP should at least put in his hands to see if it’s for him before dropping money on that Begera.

The Tikka is well worth the effort. Just order one and have it sent direct to @p_ham, he'll thread it perfectly, and he can send it to your FFL ready to go out of the box.
Not that I want to take work away from Paul, but they offer 3 models already threaded 5-8-24.

Tikka, you won’t be disappointed. You can get one of the models unthreaded and have it threaded for around 800 but if you want one threaded from the factory it is a little nicer model and I believe it is around 1100.

Shows how much I know about bolt guns. I didn't know Mouser made .30-06s.

Skip the scope - a good 03 comes with a Lyman 48. All you need.

View attachment 318566
I'd carry that. I didn't think we were getting that granular about chamberings, only designs.

Fair enough on factory Mausers in .30-'06. The Herstal Mle. 35/45 and later Mle.50 rifles are rare, and came after the liberation of Belgium. Purists believe it would be a travesty to sporterize one. Definitely did not pre-date the '03.

My 35 Whelen started life as a K98 1944. I bought it as a .30-'06 and had it re-barrelled. Interestingly enough, the .30-'06 barrel on it had a military stepped contour but the threads were correct for the Mauser ring.

This is my Springfield. It's killed a ton of animals over the last sixty years and a lot better made than most new rifles. My other rifle is a 404 Jeffery built on a 98 Mauser of same vintage. Very classy guns. I wouldn't have a push feed action in my safe if someone gave it to me.
View attachment 318559
View attachment 318562
I like that! I've got a 1903, call it my elk gun but don't hunt them anymore, getting to old to get one out!

JEfgdVGh.jpg

Almost looks like you even copied my scope. Mine is a 2 3/4x Denver Redfield Widefield I got new about 1972'

Well they also sell a wood stock model, all my Remingtons felt like trash plastic until I put them in nice stocks. At least the Tikka stock is solid, functional, and has a great integral magazine system out of the box.

Not that I want to take work away from Paul, but they offer 3 models already threaded 5-8-24.
Aren’t they all Roughtech and more expensive? My few Tikkas are regular off the rack cheapest option that I had cut and threaded, I’d rather build them out my way than pay for that threaded model that isn’t really what I’m after.

Well they also sell a wood stock model, all my Remingtons felt like trash plastic until I put them in nice stocks. At least the Tikka stock is solid, functional, and has a great integral magazine system out of the box.
Don't like magazines either. Detachable floorplate for me. I'm sure they are amazing. I don't want one. mtmuley

Aren’t they all Roughtech and more expensive? My few Tikkas are regular off the rack cheapest option that I had cut and threaded, I’d rather build them out my way than pay for that threaded model that isn’t really what I’m after.
They MSRP 99 over his budget. 5/8-24 on a standard contour tikka barrel is not going to leave much shoulder if any. If he was good with 1/2-28 then I would agree depending on how the stock fit his hands.

These have a swell on the end to accommodate his thread choice which adequately leaves enough shoulder.

They MSRP 99 over his budget. 5/8-24 on a standard contour tikka barrel is not going to leave much shoulder if any. If he was good with 1/2-28 then I would agree depending on how the stock fit his hands.

These have a swell on the end to accommodate his thread choice which adequately leaves enough shoulder.
I’ve shot a 300WM suppressed on 1/2x28. Plenty strong unless you’re planning on baffle strikes.

I have 4 regular Tikkas threaded 5/8-24, if you cut them back just a little and use the Sig/Q taper 5/8-24 is no problem, @p_ham has done this exact thing for me. Using this option, OP can pick up any Tikka and get what he wants.

Don't like magazines either. Detachable floorplate for me. I'm sure they are amazing. I don't want one. mtmuley
I was bringing the magazine up more as a comparison to that total abortion that Remington tried to pass off as a similar magazine system back in the time frame you're mentioning.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back