30-06 hand loads

JamesM

Recently bought a Browning hells canyon speed in 06 for the upcomming elk season, been trying different powders with the 190 gr LR accubond. Best reults so far have been with the RL22, average of 2820 at the muzzel, less than 1'' groups at 100yrds, 6'' groups @ 400yrds. Anyone else trying hand loads? Whats your results?

I'm getting sub MOA out of my Howa with 47 grains of varget and 165 grain accubonds.
At what range? Thats pretty tight shooting! Are you using a chronograph? I personally dont have a very steady hand. Hoping the more I pratice the tighter I'll get.

100 yards. I'm getting about 1/2 inch groups. I haven't chrono'd them. I'm shooting right about an inch group at 200. I'm shooting prone off of a bipod and a bag at the end of the stock. I can shoot in my pasture, so I get lots of practice, plus my buddy was a Marine Scout Sniper and he gives me tips and tricks.....and I try my damndest to out shoot him :cool:

Shoot factory loads.I hand loaded for 40yrs. Can,t match Factory loads.
Light loads for children.(Hand load) Factory for Men.
Send a couple more slugs,It shows you care!! 😎

JamesM you must be "Old School" Still have all my reloading equipment.
Enough to bring ATF a Runnin'!Ready to fight WWIII. don't tell...ok?
buying from Factory is so much easier.100+deg in garage(AZ>) 😎

I really like the 165grn Accubond with IMR 4350. I hear and read that the H 4350 is better, but I like the IMR. It's my go to all around general application round. Seems the 165grn class in the 30-06 is a better bullet for bucking wind, accuracy, and knock down for most anything you will encounter. I don't know all the science of it, but it works real well. And they don't tear up a lot of meat.

JamesM you must be "Old School" Still have all my reloading equipment.
Enough to bring ATF a Runnin'!Ready to fight WWIII. don't tell...ok?
buying from Factory is so much easier.100+deg in garage(AZ>) 😎
Its quite toasty here in Va Beach, However the loading room is climate controlled.

I really like the 165grn Accubond with IMR 4350. I hear and read that the H 4350 is better, but I like the IMR. It's my go to all around general application round. Seems the 165grn class in the 30-06 is a better bullet for bucking wind, accuracy, and knock down for most anything you will encounter. I don't know all the science of it, but it works real well. And they don't tear up a lot of meat.
Eventually I'll give the 168 accubonds a go.

I usually feel like the Lone Ranger for liking 190 gr ABs in 30-06. Good call, JamesM, you must be a student of ballistics tables.
Its definitely my go to round at the moment, for elk anyway. Ill be super stoked if I get the opportunity to send one down range this season!

Reactions: Guy
Yeah. Hardly a fair comparison. The 210 in a .300 RUM. You ought to look at the 180 Accubond. Or 165. Both better suited to the .06 and it's capabilities. If you have to have the heavy, even a 200 grain Accubond. Just my opinion. mtmuley

Yeah. Hardly a fair comparison. The 210 in a .300 RUM. You ought to look at the 180 Accubond. Or 165. Both better suited to the .06 and it's capabilities. If you have to have the heavy, even a 200 grain Accubond. Just my opinion. mtmuley
210....Sheeew Buddy! I imagine that round is pretty affective. I did actually trie the factory load, trophy grade noslers 180 AB before I was even aware of the LR bullet. After reading the ballistic charts I figured I’d give the 190 a go. I also shot the factory 168, those were very accurate too.

Its quite toasty here in Va Beach, However the loading room is climate controlled.

Cool,have twin brothers and their families live in Burke,Va, and Bestwicke Va.
both hunt and fish with their families.Shoot me a P.M. Born and Raised to kill.
Or fish... 😎

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back