30-06 bullet suggestions please

Majja

Hey all a buddy of mine want me to load him some 06 ammo to hunt both Elk and Mule Deer with. I have the equipment to reload 06 but do not own one. He is back on forth rather there is a 1 bullet for both. I suggested a good 165 and we could find a load.

He is shooting a A-bolt with a 22" barrel and probably a 1:10 twist. Shots would be out to 400 yds max.

Please any suggestion would be great. Also open to a few powder suggestions.

Majja

Though it's a bit of an unusual choice, but I use Reloader 15 with 165gr Partitions in my 30-06. I had it on hand and made it work, but had to do a bit of exptrapolating of the charge amounts and settled on 52gr. From a clean slate, I'd probably try R17 and H4350.

i would go 165 gr. Partition, Accubond, or E-tip and use the most accurate one.

Winchester or Nosler brass.

IMR4350 or H4350 My load is 57.4 grs of IMR4350.

Federal 210 match primer. Of course work up to that, My rifle shoots either the Accubond or Partition very well. Numerous elk, deer, antelope, and one bear!!

David

I have always had great luck with the 180 partitions, most 06's seem to like them also.

C

Same here JC.
Elk, deer or bear.
Accubonds,Barnes or Partitions.
1/2" @ 100 in 165's and 1" in 180s. For some reason my 700 has always shot the 165's better.

Also on the Partition train, although I have always preferred the 180 gr varieties in my .30-06s. A second choice (which may in fact be superior) is the 180 gr. Swift A-Frame. Neither of them are particularly aerodynamic bullets, but they are very, very reliable and will work on a whole host of game.

Back