Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New 30-06 barrel???

wisconsinteacher

I have a Remington 700 Mountain rifle that was my dad bought. I have tried so many combos of powder and bullets but I can't get it to shoot better than 1.25-1.5" groups. I would like to put a new 30-06 barrel on it. I would also like to keep it similar to the original contour and length.

Any suggestions on a barrel and place to send the rifle for the swap?

I built a 280AI on a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter and I put a match grade Shilen stainless barrel on it. It really shoots great and I could not be happier. Shilen barrel seems to be a really great purchase.

Sure lots of folks will chime in on recipes, but in my 30-06 I sure have had great luck with IMR4350 57.4grs with 165 gr. Nosler Accubonds and Partitions. 56-58grs. of IMR4350 with that bullet weight and 56-58grs. of H4350 seem to be a sweet spot with that bullet weight and cartridge.

I had a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle for years in a 280 Remington. Sure liked that rifle and it shot about 3/4" groups at 100 yards using IMR4350 and Nosler Partition bullets. I did have to make sure and let the barrel cool between shots as you can imagine with the thin contour of the Mountain Rifle barrel as it heats up pretty quickly and accuracy will drop.

1707324734635.png 57. 4 grs. of IMR4350. 4x Leupold scope

1707324890010.png
Should mentioned it but this 30-06 rifle is a Ruger 1B single shot. A Remington 700 ADL I had prior to this shot the same load, the same seating depth very accurately also.

Last edited:
Have you tried the usual suspects like ring and base screws, stock clearance, bedding stock, trigger work, etc?

That being said P_ham aka Country Custom Metalsmithing would be my choice. At that point, I'd probably consider having the action blueprinted and then have it cerakoted.

Have you tried the usual suspects like ring and base screws, stock clearance, bedding stock, trigger work, etc?

That being said P_ham aka Country Custom Metalsmithing would be my choice. At that point, I'd probably consider having the action blueprinted and then have it cerakoted.
I have tried many things. New scope, rings, bedded the stock, pressure point on the end, free floated, new Trigger Tech Trigger and 150-165-180gr bullets and 4 different powders.

I have tried many things. New scope, rings, bedded the stock, pressure point on the end, free floated, new Trigger Tech Trigger and 150-165-180gr bullets and 4 different powders.
dang usually one of those helps. If you have the funds then I'd say go for it.

I'd talk it out with a couple gunsmiths but seeing Paul's (aka p_ham) work has him on a short list for work I need done on a couple rifles.

If you're a competent tinkerer, you could go DIY with a Rem-age barrel nut system. It's not a nice as a fitted barrel but a fairly easy process.

I've done the Remage game but I'm a little worried about opening the stock for the barrel nut on this rifle.

I had a Remington 700 in -06 that was the same, under no circumstances would it shoot under 1.75". I spent way too much time trying to get it there, but in the end I sold it to a buddy to use as a donor action for a build and I bought a Tikka to replace it. But, I have had other Remingtons re-barreled, it was just not the right solution in this case. Most of the barrel manufacturers will offer a Remington contour to fit your stock, I had Shilen make a barrel for a SA 700 and it fit perfect. I have another 700 in -06 that I kind of want @p_ham to put a Carbon6 or Proof on, but I can't justify it since it has a low round count, shoots lights out, and I rarely use it anyway. Just send it to Paul and have him do his thing.

Lilja barrels has that exact contour available. I have one and it is a shooter. But be aware best you’re going to get is a 3 shot group as it will heat up fast.

I would second sending it to P_ham. He has done 3 projects for me now and it has been a breeze to works with him.

Add me to the party that had one of those pencil thin barrels that would not shoot. Mine was lucky to hit a 2 inch group. Replaced it with a standard 24 inch stainless take off. I missed the light weight but now gun shoots most loads 1 to 1/2 groups. Still not my most accurate rifle by far but it gives acceptable hunting accuracy. I rarely shoot at game over 200 yards in my neck of the woods. If I am going on a hunt where shots can be longer I have other rifles to handle that.

I’m two projects done with Pham. Since I love to tinker on guns I also sent him a retainer, just like my lawyer, so I can call him when I have an issue. Paul is a better investment.

I assume you're in Wisconsin based on your name.

Randy Gregory from Accuracy Unlimited has made several new barrels for my Palma gun, and has reprofiled them as well for me. He really does great work and is in Medford, WI.

Lilja barrels has that exact contour available. I have one and it is a shooter. But be aware best you’re going to get is a 3 shot group as it will heat up fast.

I would second sending it to P_ham. He has done 3 projects for me now and it has been a breeze to works with him.
+1 for Lilja. Have them on both my .338-06 and .257AI.

Back