Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

30-06 Ammo Setup for Elk

@MtnElk sometimes I think it's all black magic lol

for instance...

Red- 180 grain hammers, handloads
Green - Factory, 180 grain federal power shok
🤷‍♂️

Maybe I just suck at reloading lol... I know I suck at shooting.

1659487648195.png

Last edited:
Agree will wllm, it’s all some kinda voodoo.

I’ve never shot with a brake (not a tough guy, just buy cheap guns), but I do know they can affect the point of impact.

Just cause my gun doesn’t love Barnes doesn’t mean yours won’t. Their 168g have been available online recently. I just grabbed some from Natchez to give them another go.

Mine has always liked the 165's better. Copper and AB's get the tightest groups consistantly.
The 180s are always larger and looser in the groups.

Never had an elk go further than 100 yards before they drop, with 165s.

Thanks all! My curious brain was just wondering if I was missing something. So now I just have to find the ammo my gun likes… hopefully before the season starts 😂

Well, if it likes Fusion ammo, try to find more Federal (they do load quite a variety for 30-06) and see how it goes.

However it’s not a cheap ordeal nowadays.

Much luck to you.

JP

I realize this opens a can of worms, but going to use this collective knowledge base and see if it helps. I have a Savage Timberline 110 Lefty .30-06. I love it. Shoots great. Shoots especially great with Federal Fusion 180 grain (100y for now, outdoor ranges near me just opened, planning to re-calibrate at 200). Oddly enough, that ammo was more easily available in my area.

But if one were to research said ammo, you get a lot of concerns about its ability to take em down (focusing on elk here) and a few comments that say it does the job just fine. I've shot four different types of ammo for no less than 20 shots of each, and about 120+ rounds of the Federal Fusion 180 grain. It's not even a competition that the FF180 is far more accurate, even more accurate than far more expensive ammo.

Am I crazy to stop trying out different types of supposedly more capable ammo and just focus on the fact that my rifle seems to love FF180? I also don't plan on taking shots beyond 350.

and go... feel free to pick this apart, here to learn!
People chase better all the time and seldom actually find it. I think the question is what's wrong with the Federal Fyssion 180 load that you want to try something else? My idea is if it works, don't fix it.

Mine has always liked the 165's better. Copper and AB's get the tightest groups consistantly.
The 180s are always larger and looser in the groups.

Never had an elk go further than 100 yards before they drop, with 165s.
This make's me think. Many years ago I was stuck on what bullet to use in my 7nn Rem mag. 154gr Hornadys Averaged about 3/4". But 160gr Speer shot about a 1/16" better. Well when it was said and done the Speer 160gr won out. Never one time regreted it but at this point in my life I suspect the 154 gr Hornady would have worked just as well. We spend far to much time looking for perfection and seldom find it. Things just keep getting better.

I live about 1hr15min from Indy. Let me know what store and how many boxes you want. Next time I am there I will pick them up.

Nothing wrong with the Federal Fusion 180 whatsoever.

I've loaded up the Hammer Hunter 174 in my friend's Savage Axis 30-06 using H4350 and it's shooting very well.
So, if you can handload and want a copper bullet it's an option.

I realize this opens a can of worms, but going to use this collective knowledge base and see if it helps. I have a Savage Timberline 110 Lefty .30-06. I love it. Shoots great. Shoots especially great with Federal Fusion 180 grain (100y for now, outdoor ranges near me just opened, planning to re-calibrate at 200). Oddly enough, that ammo was more easily available in my area.

But if one were to research said ammo, you get a lot of concerns about its ability to take em down (focusing on elk here) and a few comments that say it does the job just fine. I've shot four different types of ammo for no less than 20 shots of each, and about 120+ rounds of the Federal Fusion 180 grain. It's not even a competition that the FF180 is far more accurate, even more accurate than far more expensive ammo.

Am I crazy to stop trying out different types of supposedly more capable ammo and just focus on the fact that my rifle seems to love FF180? I also don't plan on taking shots beyond 350.

and go... feel free to pick this apart, here to learn!
I think you said all you need to know! federal Fusion is far more accurate, even more accurate than far more expensive ammo. I have found in the past that if I have something that works, don't fix it!

Funny. mtmuley
What makes it funny?

Had one deer when we field dressed it, the deer dropped like it has been hit by a tone of bricks. .308 Winchester about 100 yards. Square solid chest shot right in the brisket.

The chest cavity was never penetrated. It went around the leg, following the hide and stopped at the back strap.

Had more issues with federal and Winchester core-lost style bullets having jacket/core separation and just not doing the job. All solid chest hits.

What makes it funny?

Had one deer when we field dressed it, the deer dropped like it has been hit by a tone of bricks. .308 Winchester about 100 yards. Square solid chest shot right in the brisket.

The chest cavity was never penetrated. It went around the leg, following the hide and stopped at the back strap.

Had more issues with federal and Winchester core-lost style bullets having jacket/core separation and just not doing the job. All solid chest hits.
Maybe you should have waited for a better shot angle.

Didn't say that, but wouldn't be my first choice.
Given your description of the bullet path it doesn't sound like it was square in the chest.
Sometimes there is the unexplainable.
Send me your email…

I’ll put together a live scope view so you can approve or disapprove all my shots this year along with @mtmuley

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back