MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

30-06 Ammo Setup for Elk

What makes it funny?

Had one deer when we field dressed it, the deer dropped like it has been hit by a tone of bricks. .308 Winchester about 100 yards. Square solid chest shot right in the brisket.

The chest cavity was never penetrated. It went around the leg, following the hide and stopped at the back strap.

Had more issues with federal and Winchester core-lost style bullets having jacket/core separation and just not doing the job. All solid chest hits.
What killed it?

What killed it?
Me field dressing it actually…

Yeah, I hear the responses all the time “bull shit”….

Whatever…

Shocked the hell out of the entire when I stuck the diaphragm expecting a gush of blood and it was all solidly intact…

I was probly killing stuff with a Core-Lokt before you started hunting. mtmuley
That’s nice…

You want the medal or the chest to pin it on.

You were not there to see what gives me no confidence in power shok or corelokt bullets…

Kind of like any other opinion and anal orifice….

We all have one.

My experience has been nothing but poor kills and full core/jacket separations.

That’s nice…

You want the medal or the chest to pin it on.

You were not there to see what gives me no confidence in power shok or corelokt bullets…

Kind of like any other opinion and anal orifice….

We all have one.

My experience has been nothing but poor kills and full core/jacket separations.
Have a nice evening. mtmuley

Only elk I ever killed was with a 160gr Nosler Green Tip for my .30-06. Load was developed by a family friend( now owner of Rim Rock Bullets) and this load had great success with it in numerous platforms. Prior to that I used all federal factory ammunition and the Ruger loved it. I had great luck/success with Federal ammunition while I used various calibers from 22-250 to 7mm Mag before finally carrying the 6.5x284 and loading my own.

Something it seem's we all look for is the perfect bullet in our opinion. I doubt it exist's! But saying that I've used Hornady Inter lock/spire point's for years and never had a reason to switch. Never had a failure that wasn't my fault. I think we can find a reason for quiting on any bullet as I suspect most bullet's will fali if not properly placed. And even my choice of Hornady was not what I considered the best there was. Speer Hot Core, Hot Core only, have to be the most under rated bullet ever. But the best is the one you have the most conficence in!

Your ammo is just fine. I shoot 30-06 Nosler 180gr ballistic tips myself for elk. I think what is more important is shot placement than the specific bullet selection.

Be interesting to see what everyone definition is of “proper placement.”

I’m not even going to attempt it since I’ve been jumped for not like cup and core bullets due to jacket separation.

Apparently I’m a bad hunter and don’t know where to shoot since they fail to perform.

I’m not even going to attempt it since I’ve been jumped for not like cup and core bullets due to jacket separation.

Apparently I’m a bad hunter and don’t know where to shoot since they fail to perform.
All I have ever used is cup and core bullet's on big game and never have had a jacket core seperate so far as I know. I did have a 140gr Sierra blow up in the chest of a bear and that was bad placement for the bullet I was using! The second shot took it right behind the head and instant death. Fired it from a 7mm Rem Mag years ago and that old bullet just couldn't handle the velocety of the 7mm mag, not the bullet's fault. It was not designed for the shot I took. probably back then a 160gr Sierra would have made a difference. Today in one 243 I shoot Hornady 75gr V-max bullet's. Shooting at 200 yds through 1 1/2 foam and a paper target the bullet's were blowing up. I suspect they are designed that way. But also killed a deer with one, dropped at the hit. Neck shot! Didn't have much to penetrate and got the job done. Shooting cup and core you really need to be aware of the bullet your using! There's a reason those old core lock have the reputation they have, they work!

I think things was going good till you mention problems with Rem bullets from 308. I don't shoot factory ammo in my 30-06's but was good on information from different posters on what they where using. Like I said was good post till you started.

I think things was going good till you mention problems with Rem bullets from 308. I don't shoot factory ammo in my 30-06's but was good on information from different posters on what they where using. Like I said was good post till you started.
guess I didn’t realize there was a separate product line for .30-06 vs .308 bullet wise.

I use 180 gr Core-Lockt. I shoot for the "boiler room", not the shoulder, if that matters. My hunting mentors and family members all used Core-Lockt, and all had good success. Not that reloading wasn't done, but the Rems worked fine so why fix what isn't broke. A lot of the same friends have dropped elk with patched round ball from traditional muzzleloaders, not a lot of fancy bullet there.
Accuracy? I realize I have high-graded my groups from yesterday, but it ain't the rifle/ammo combination. 1.75" or thereabouts at 200 yards. I am not no super good shot, either.
Personal experience is of course valuable, but the fact that YMMV has to be considered, and those old Remington bullets have killed a whole lot of animals. Take a good shot, put it where it belongs, and I think you will find a dead critter. Take a "different" shot, well...

Attachments

• IMG_3054.jpeg
    IMG_3054.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Only took 1 cow elk with the federal fusion. It was the cheapest 270wsm ammo they had. That was 2007 or around their. Very effective in that instance. I think they call it fusion because it's a bonded bullet not cup and core. Could be wrong but I wouldn't worry about using it again and wish they would sell them for reloading.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back