Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

30-06 200 grain

Funny thing about a 200gr bullet in a 30-06. It will kill everything just as dead as a 150gr bullet will and is a better choice for some larger game. Hitting a longer range target is not the job of the bullet, it's the job of the shooter. If you can't hit a bull in the arse with a 200gr bullet at 100ys, your not gonna do it with any other bullet either. Shooting is the responsibility of the shooter, not the bullet.

I run factory 180's out of my .30-06. I would love to work up a 200 grain load but I've ended up with so much factory ammo that I'll never have a need to hand load for that rifle. Even if you only have 20 bullets, do a quick workup and see what kind of velocity and accuracy you can get. Then report back here with results of course!

I shoot 165's. Nosler AB's .Never needed any larger for anything. My 06 never liked the 180,for consistancy. Never saw any reason to try 200's...

I must be naive but what is the “e” word? Lol feel free to ignore the question if it will risk banishment from here too!
The E that must not be named in long range hunting forums is Ethics, as in how long of a shot @ game is unethical.

When 180 isn't enough in your 30-06, the answer is...190.

Last edited:
I just hang out there for the load data and gun parts for sale. There is some really good deals to be had if your checking it when it posts.

There is this guy that goes by Laker something or another. He is always posting lightly used guns that are shooters.

I'm going to miss the shooting and loading info on LRH. Some really knowledgeable guys there. The wolf threads are full of not so knowledgeable guys. mtmuley

Anyone running 200 grain bullets in your 30-06s? I’ve got some 200 grain accubonds and h4350,h4831,rl17, and some rl26 to try. See guys getting 2700-2800 with rl17 and rl26 so figured I’d do some playing

I have loaded and used 200 gr. Nosler Partitions with IMR4350 in my .30-06 Winchester 54 for many years. I didn't load them hot and have never chrono'd them but they work beautifully on elk at the relatively close distances that I hunt in the timber. My early experiences using hand loaded 200, 210 and 220 gr. round nose bullets led me to try the Partitions. All have worked reliably well.

I carried 200gr in my 30-06 for a moose hunt in Maine. They were alright, but I get much better groupings with 165gr. Have fun making up some loads.

Ended up getting 2700fps with rl26 3/4” groups out of the 22” barreled tikka. Recoil is pretty stout in the tikka with this load

That's pretty good as the Speer data was max at 2667 out of a 24" barrel. How compressed of a load did you have to do?

That's pretty good as the Speer data was max at 2667 out of a 24" barrel. How compressed of a load did you have to do?
It was compressed but not horribly. Drop tube helps. If it would have been a Remington I could have loaded longer if throat allowed and could have got another grain or so in as I didn’t have any pressure signs

I run factory 180's out of my .30-06. I would love to work up a 200 grain load but I've ended up with so much factory ammo that I'll never have a need to hand load for that rifle. Even if you only have 20 bullets, do a quick workup and see what kind of velocity and accuracy you can get. Then report back here with results of course!
I've had pretty good luck shooting factory 180s (Winchester ballistic silvertips) out of my 30-06, but was thinking of switching to copper. I'm not into reloading yet myself, but was wondering if anybodies made the switch to factory load coppers and results?

I’ll probably just stick with my 180 grain ballistic tip load for this gun. Cheaper to shoot and plenty for what I’ll do with it

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back