Yeti GOBOX Collection

3 more months

tnctcb

our kodiak trip is coming up fast.im getting really excited and i know the rest of our group is too. hump

tnctcb...I'll be following your hunt with much interest...Sitka deer are are on my VERY short list of critters I want to hunt...I WILL be doing that hunt within the next couple of years....I understand your excitement..At least half of the fun of a hunting trip involves the planning and the ANTICIPATION...

If you've never been to Alaska ( or even if you HAVE) you are in for a treat...

I guarantee you'll go back...NOBODY can do just ONE hunt in Alaska..

I went up the first time in '89 on a float hunt for moose and caribou...It was going to be my ONE big hunt of a lifetime...

RIGHT...!!... :p ... On the plane on the way home I was already planning my NEXT trip...I've been there four times since.. Never been in southern AK or on Kodiak, though..

Blacktail, eh? Pack us much meat in your coolers as you can and bring it home. Between dall sheep and blacktail, that is some of the best table fare Alaska has to offer. Awesome trophy to boot too!

Hey Ovis, if you could bring home a cooler of sitka or a cooler of halibut and salmon which way would you go? I usually have plenty of deer meat in the freezer. :D

miller

Dude...tough question. If you're asking me, then I would rack and stack it this way...

1) Sitka
2) Halibut
3) Salmon

During my five years there (and several return trips back up) I eventually grew tired of eating halibut and salmon...BUT I never grew tired of eating the Grade A Sitka. It truly is awesome and I would bet you'll find it an entirely different taste and texture than muley or whitetail...IMO it "ain't" like the other two.

On the other hand, halibut and salmon are just as awesome, especially if it is a delicacy to you. I love to entertain and serve up halibut and salmon to friends and family...a little bit of it goes along way, especially on the "but". I never shared my blacktail.

I encourage you to either PM or email me privately and I'll share my personal best "clandestine" recipes for all three species. ;)

Maybe before you guys pack it up and come home you'll have the opportunity to sample all three and you can decide what your tastebuds like.

I'd prefer the halibut over the salmon myself...One thing to consider is that the halibut freezes better than the salmon...

I'm looking forward to trying the Sitka venison..Ovis's endorsement is one of many I have heard about how good it is...Everyone I've talked to who has eaten it says the same thing...It's pretty easy to bring back a couple of 50 pound wax boxes of it on the airlines, too...

So who all is going up there from the board?

I know Miller and 1 pointer are headed up together

tnctcb, who are you headed up with? Anyone from the board? Where at in FL are you? Are you easily coerced into doing things...saaay, bringing me some fine table fare?

How about some details on the hunt from everyone going up. I know miller and 1ptr are hunting from a vessel.

I have never had the opportunity to hunt the sitka, but have eaten some and have to agree. The first time I had some, it was a roast, and my eyes lit up. I immediately went to the guy that brought it to find out what kind of meat it was...WOW delicious. Headed out for halibut on Sunday and salmon on Monday. Hopefully I'll be able to score a Sitka some day soon too.

i am going with mtmiller and 1pointer. i am in jacksonville and i am easily coerced but you will have to share some of your secret recipes with me.you arent to far from me you should get together with gunner46 and me to go do a hog hunt at ft stewart georgia.

tnctcb

Looks like little over a 7 hour drive there. When are you going? What are some of the details on cost?

its public land all you need is a permit and ga hunting lisence.if you are still active duty then you need a permit but it is free.i thought you were in mexico beach thats only around 4 hours from me.nothing on the mainland is over 5 hours from me.the keys add some miles though.we can go any time except when spring turkey is open

I am in Mexico Beach. I did a mapquest search to Ft Stewart, not Jax...my bad.

T-bone...So refresh my memory....Where/what are you hunting in AK...??..

A Brooks Range sheep hunt, perhaps..??

The Haul road hunt took a backseat to a moose/bou/wolf maybe a grizz hunt.

Noatak river for 14 days with 3 friends from Idaho. I really want a good moose. If the bou and wolf come along I'll take them too.

If moose and bou are tagged and the guide still has his 1 remaining grizz tag available and a big boar shows up........he's going down.

The dall sheep will be about 3-4 years out I'm hoping. Its getting more and more pricey.

Sounds like the hunt of a lifetime T-Bone. It'll be time to go before you know it. Countin' the days til Colorado Elk here. Gettin' antsy. Good luck to you too tnctcb.

...seems the only thing that eases the wait is getting more gear. :D

T-Bone

If I had to choose between a bou hunt on the Dalton and a Combo hunt in the Brooks, the bou hunt on the Dalton would take the backseat every time. You're gonna have a blast!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back