3 lopes, 3 states one week, can it be done?

Good comments stated above; thinking i may put in for MT (50% odds in the unit i wanted), maybe switch the WY tag to a random tag; if I draw both then, maybe return the CO tag, if need be. I applied for CO 3,301 and should draw with the 11 points, but I am not overly excited on the unit from what i have learned from folks that have hunted it recently (but never been, still learning in using OnX). Didn't think of Doe tags in WY, will for sure put in for doe tags too. All this Pandemic news has me thinking to go now and not wait for next year, since next year may not come. I could stretch my time off to 8 days max. The other thing is weather needs to cooperate, never know in WY, can now 5 inches the first week in Oct or be 75 degrees and sunny. I may take my chances.

I wouldn't want to be that rushed. And, not to be a downer, but depending on how in depth you looked at the MT drawing stats, just because it says 50% odds in the regs doesn't mean a nonresident had 50% odds, and points aren't factored into the equation either. Nonresidents are limited to no more than 10% of available licenses, so chances are the NR odds in that district were far below 50%, factor in points and your chances would likely be even slimmer.

Thanks for the input folks; it makes sense that it may be a bit aggressive, all I would need is a bad break in the weather and I would be done for. Will be holding off on MT this year, and putting in for special/random tag, along with some doe tags in WY. Should be less rushed, can travel between NW CO and the areas in WY I am looking at in 4 hours or so. I still have Idaho to put in for, so better not overdue it. Dreaming of those rolling hills and sagebrush!

i would take my time on a unit that took 11 points,,id say 2 week minimum unless your happy with 11"ERS IF YOU RUSH IT..last year i managed to do a 5 tag species 3 state ,4300 mile hunt trip and i alocated 5 weeks to do it in,,i took my time,,didnt score on all hunts,,let several critters go along the way,,,yes i couldve scored on 4 hunts with ease,,but came home with 1 elk and 1 deer and was good with that.

completely new hunter here: last year (2019) was my first year hunting. so maybe my advice wont align with more seasoned hunters here. but sounds like with all the points you have plenty of experience.
i drew 3 tags last year (yes in my first year) for Antelope. they were all Doe tags, but i was focused on putting meat in the freezer and experience of hunting vs just the antlers/horns.
anyways: i tagged all 3.
2 in WY over 2 weekends. i hunted with my BIL (brother in law), we both tagged 1 each 1st weekend, and then came back 2nd 2 weekend and tagged 1 each again.
1 in CO late rifle.

totally doable. if you enjoy road trips, camping and a bit of an adventure, go for it.

I've done Montana and Wyoming in the same week and that was a workout. Got it done but I can't imagine wanting to do a third in a different state as well.

Sounds like a fun time whatever approach you take. I'd love to have the chance to shoot 3 in one season. Good luck!

boy that's alot to do in one week. Me personnally, I'd just do one of them and get to know a place really well and enjoy the hunt rather than rushing around and being pressured, but to each their own...

Good comments stated above; thinking i may put in for MT (50% odds in the unit i wanted), maybe switch the WY tag to a random tag; if I draw both then, maybe return the CO tag, if need be. I applied for CO 3,301 and should draw with the 11 points, but I am not overly excited on the unit from what i have learned from folks that have hunted it recently (but never been, still learning in using OnX). Didn't think of Doe tags in WY, will for sure put in for doe tags too. All this Pandemic news has me thinking to go now and not wait for next year, since next year may not come. I could stretch my time off to 8 days max. The other thing is weather needs to cooperate, never know in WY, can now 5 inches the first week in Oct or be 75 degrees and sunny. I may take my chances.

Reference CO, what did you hear about that unit that doesn't make you excited? I hunted there for mule deer a couple years ago and saw literally thousands of pronghorn everywhere I went including on public. PM and I'll send you a couple spots where I saw the most.

Sounds like a good way to get hemorrhoids. That's a lot of miles plus bouncing around on dirt roads looking for antelope. I think 3 days per hunt is about right, with a travel day between.

1.5 days to drive to CO set up camp and do an evening drive to see where you see antelope. I think I would want to have 11 points worth of dedicated scouting time. Maybe 2-3 days before the season even. Kill in 2 days. There you are looking at 5.5-6.5 days and you still need to drive home.

The biggest logistic issue is Meat Storage when you tag out on the first hunt. Luckily I had my family to take my meat home (to the local Locker) from the first hunt while I was filling the second tag.

If you can do a "leave Friday night, be home Sunday morning you would have 9 total Full days and that's about right for 2 hunts with a less than 8 hour drive between if you have a 12 hour drive home.

Friday - Leave at 5 spend night in Elko.
Sat - Long half day to NW CO. Set up camp. Sunset cruise around major roads in unit.
Sun Am - Have some secondary roads to check out and pick a part of the unit to concentrate on. Lunch in town. afternoon check different part and decide which one is better. Evening find the buck you are going to kill in the morning. Have your back up buck ID'ed.
Monday morning - Kill at dawn or go to plan B
Monday afternoon - Plan C and D, revisit plan A buck area or look for new options.
Tuesday- Repeat Monday. If no joy Consider changing areas (or take care of meat and camp Dinner in town)
Wednesday - Travel Day to MT, evening cruise
Thursday Scout Day
Friday - Hunt Day
Saturday morning hunt, Leave for home by noon.
Sunday arrive home by noon, take care of meat.

what i do on these long multi-animal/hunt trips is i have a 7 cu ft chest freezer in my trailer//works great for meat quarters bagged up/cut up,what ever way you can throw it in and move to next hunt,,run a generater occationally as needed or i run on solar with a power inverter,to keep an eye on the meat,,no ice,no looking for a locker ect,,,just handy,,only way to go i feel.

Sounds like a good way to get hemorrhoids. That's a lot of miles plus bouncing around on dirt roads looking for antelope. I think 3 days per hunt is about right, with a travel day between.

1.5 days to drive to CO set up camp and do an evening drive to see where you see antelope. I think I would want to have 11 points worth of dedicated scouting time. Maybe 2-3 days before the season even. Kill in 2 days. There you are looking at 5.5-6.5 days and you still need to drive home.

The biggest logistic issue is Meat Storage when you tag out on the first hunt. Luckily I had my family to take my meat home (to the local Locker) from the first hunt while I was filling the second tag.

If you can do a "leave Friday night, be home Sunday morning you would have 9 total Full days and that's about right for 2 hunts with a less than 8 hour drive between if you have a 12 hour drive home.

Friday - Leave at 5 spend night in Elko.
Sat - Long half day to NW CO. Set up camp. Sunset cruise around major roads in unit.
Sun Am - Have some secondary roads to check out and pick a part of the unit to concentrate on. Lunch in town. afternoon check different part and decide which one is better. Evening find the buck you are going to kill in the morning. Have your back up buck ID'ed.
Monday morning - Kill at dawn or go to plan B
Monday afternoon - Plan C and D, revisit plan A buck area or look for new options.
Tuesday- Repeat Monday. If no joy Consider changing areas (or take care of meat and camp Dinner in town)
Wednesday - Travel Day to MT, evening cruise
Thursday Scout Day
Friday - Hunt Day
Saturday morning hunt, Leave for home by noon.
Sunday arrive home by noon, take care of meat.

Definitely like your thinking; funny thing I plan out trips the same way; I am shelving MT this time around; will focus on CO (assuming I draw), took 8 points last year, went into it with 11, then gambling on a WY random special tag & doe tags. Drive to Elko on Friday night is definitely on my plan (the Start Hotel there is awesome).

Definitely like your thinking; funny thing I plan out trips the same way; I am shelving MT this time around; will focus on CO (assuming I draw), took 8 points last year, went into it with 11, then gambling on a WY random special tag & doe tags. Drive to Elko on Friday night is definitely on my plan (the Start Hotel there is awesome).
Im confused. How did u draw last year with 8 points and now have 11 a year later? Or was it for diff species?

With 11 points I would hunt longer and wait on other states. I would pick up some Wyoming doe tags so when done can hit that on way back to California. WY is on the way home despite what others may say. We tried to do 5 tags youth elk and deer in different units and WY doe antelope and deer different units on way home from AZ to Ohio in a week and got nothing 3 misses and ran out of time. Already have youth elk tag and looking at adding cheap tags again but in same units and only antelope on way home.

I like Falcon's Idea of solely Doe tags in WY. Each season needs the Main Event, and then other opening acts. I think your CO hunt can take a little longer and you won't feel bad about losing a day in a lesser hunt (pointswise). I don't think I'd spend the points and extra money for the Special tag if I thought I would potentially not have time for it.

I like Falcon's Idea of solely Doe tags in WY. Each season needs the Main Event, and then other opening acts. I think your CO hunt can take a little longer and you won't feel bad about losing a day in a lesser hunt (pointswise). I don't think I'd spend the points and extra money for the Special tag if I thought I would potentially not have time for it.

Not a bad point, been wanting to try out my new muzzle-loader; could be fun spending some time after CO chasing antelope does with a muzzy in WY. Very cool that you can apply for two doe tags in the draw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back