280 Remington

Brian in Montana

Do you guys that own and reload a 280 Rem, what's your experience been like with it? Do you find it hard to find brass? Is it a good cartridge to handload for?

280Rem aka 7mm Express...I don't own one but have researched it's brother the 280AI a lot. My understanding the 280 is less than 100fps behind the 280Ai. Brass is readily available from Hornady, Remington, Nosler, Norma, and Winchester. I would think a 140-150 grain bullet (name your brand or construction type) would be good to go for nearly all hunting situations. Should be easy to load with very common powders like 4831, big game, RL19, RL22, hybrid 100V all being good

I owned one. Sold it due to the rifle, not the caliber. Sweet Cartridge. No Issues finding components or factory ammo. I think the .270 Win was its downfall. If you reload, I would not hesitate to get one. If not, it would depend on where you live. The bigger sporting chain stores (Cabelas/Bass Pro/Sportsmans) usually have ammo. Otherwise ordering ammo can get pricey with hazmat fees.

The 165 grain GameChanger might be the one size fits all choice, but maybe a bit of overkill for antelope.

I know of a used X-bolt Hunter in 280 Rem with a 26" barrel going for $500. I've read some about the caliber and I do find it interesting. I've been toying with the idea of getting an x-bolt, and leaning toward a 7-08 or a .270. I came across this one, am intrigued. That 26" barrel might be all kinds of fast.

I have one in a 700 that has just been gathering dust since I made the move to 7wsm. Good gun, I just needed a change for some dumb reason.

I know of a used X-bolt Hunter in 280 Rem with a 26" barrel going for $500. I've read some about the caliber and I do find it interesting. I've been toying with the idea of getting an x-bolt, and leaning toward a 7-08 or a .270. I came across this one, am intrigued. That 26" barrel might be all kinds of fast.

280 would be a dandy and it would be against my morals to not encouraging a purchase of another rifle.

I found brass easy to come by. Bullet selection is outstanding. Powders are very standard. I’m using RL16 in mine. 4350 is a standard, 4831. I wouldn’t hesitate a minute to buy one. That 26” tube should be fast. I would expect I could hit north of 3200 with the load in using out of my 22” barrel.

.280 is a great round but never really took off. The .280 AI is seeing popularity and hope it continues to do so. I don't at the present own one, but I am either going to get a .280 AI or 7mm08.

I owned a 280 Remington in a Remington 700 MTN rifle. Loved that gun but I wanted a 24" barrel unlike the 22" barrel on that particular rifle. My load was 54.0 grs. of IMR4350 and 140 gr. Accubonds or Partitions. It really shot great. 2940 fps chronographed out of the 22" barrel.

I now have a 280 AI I made custom on a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter rifle. Love that gun. I got a 24" Shilen match stainless barrel, pillar & glass bedded, trigger worked to 2.5 pounds, and the metal coated with John Norrel Arms moly resin. Put a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle on it. Love that gun! Right now using IMR7828SSC and 140 gr. Partitions it chronographs at 3230 fps!

The 280 is easy to load for and brass is simple to find. It is one of the best all around cartridges out there!

As mentioned above great cartridge and easy to load for. Currently shooting 160 gr. Accubonds with 54 gr. of IMR 4350 out of mine.

I like it so much, I have 2. Both shoot really well, with both 140s and 160s. Easy to load for, and lost of options for powders to chose from. If I could only have one rifle it would be in 280rem, luckily I don't' have to chose.

Never fired.

lPfLYZD.jpg

iXzo6ui.jpg

One of the most under rated cartridge's around in my opinion. Had one years ago in a 760 Rem. Didn't like the rifle though so it went. Have no need for one these days, don't hunt near as much as I did when younger.

A .280 will do all the .270 and 7mm08 will do but only better.

I have two of the 26" barreled X-bolt .280s.
The first one shot so well (.5" groups with first handloads tried), I bought a second. It too shoots 1/2" groups with the same load.
They are fond of H4831sc.

Last edited:
I own a Ruger 77 MKII in 280 Rem.
I put a Forbes 24B in 280 Rem on lay a way.
Using Hornady brass.
I stick to 140-150 gr bullets. Ballistic Tips shoot and work well.
For powders i'm using Alliant Power Pro 4000. Experimenting with IMR 4831, RL22, Norma MRP.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back