.280 Rem

I’ve had a .280 in a Browning A-Bolt for 23 years, it was my primary big game rifle all but the last few years, and I’ve passed it on to my son.

I’ve taken whitetail, mule deer, bear, elk, pronghorn, coyotes, and mountain grouse with it. Both with reloads and factory ammo, it is a 3/4 MOA gun with either I couldn’t get my reloads any tighter, but I could wring some more speed out of them. This gun likes the 140 grainers, wasn’t a fan of heavier; 160 was the heaviest I could try while still remaining hunting accuracy. In my experience, the 140’s performed better on game also.

Great all around caliber, and ammo is more available now than it was when I bought it. It’ll serve my son well until he just “HAS” to get a different one. 🤣

Last edited:
280 Remington Mountain rifle here. She just kills chit. When I'm not using her my other family members are . That says a lot about the rifle. So I ran into a guy hunting in Montana last year with a .270 Remington Mountain rifle. Boy it looked bran new. My rifle's stock was beat to death. So I took off the old finish this past winter and gave her a new oil one. Back to killing chit.

I’m going this weekend to handle the Remington, Winchester, and Browning. I’ll probably go ahead and order which ever one feels the best to me unless they actually have a .280 in stock in which case I’ll bring it home.

280 Remington Mountain rifle here. She just kills chit. When I'm not using her my other family members are . That says a lot about the rifle. So I ran into a guy hunting in Montana last year with a .270 Remington Mountain rifle. Boy it looked bran new. My rifle's stock was beat to death. So I took off the old finish this past winter and gave her a new oil one. Back to killing chit.
Post a picture. I'd love to see how the stock turned out.

My dad has the same rifle, he bought it for his first western hunt in 1993.....it’s still his favorite gun. He loves the .280, and is a big fan of that 700 MTN rifle.

I would not buy a newer one if I didnt have to but there sure are some 1980’s 90’s and maybe even early 00’s that are sweet. I have had nothing but 100% over the moon good luck when carefully shopping on a certain online firearms broker site. I have the 280 mtn rifle. The fit and finish on the older remmy mountain rifles are slick. compared, at least, to my newer 700 and newer model Seven, although both shoot fine. Also the older Winchester 70 featherweights are as nice or nicer, arguably. Not sure if any recent production shortcuts may have affected those.

I have a M70 Fwt .280 and it shoots less than 1" at 200 yards with factory Federal 150gr ammo. I reload but doubt I could reproduce that.

I hunt with a 700 mountain ss in 280 the only thing I would change is to make it left handed; otherwise I love it and will hunt with it until I can afford to get a custom 280AI made.

CDNN or classic had some Ruger Hawkeye's in 280 for the $450 range I know they were $4something. I got the email Sunday I think. But I did delete it already.

I dont know if this will work. $469

I had a ruger m77 in 280 rem. years ago 150 grain ,was a very good rifle but ammo was hard to find back then .I think the 270 win. killed the 280 rem .

I have two .280 rifles first is a Remington Model 700 KS, second is a Pre 64 Winchester model 70 that was rebarrled with a Dogulas barrel. That one I picked up off a guy that fell on hard times need some money. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet just need to get a scope for it. .280 still has a following and should be promoted more.20200328_155848.jpg20200328_161156.jpg

I had a ruger m77 in 280 rem. years ago 150 grain ,was a very good rifle but ammo was hard to find back then .I think the 270 win. killed the 280 rem .
There are lots of articles out there about how badly the .280's promotion was bungled and mismanaged after it's inception. Remington had a lot of trouble finding a nitch for it and in my opinion tried some odd things.

It's not dead. There's certainly a following, but the rising popularity of the .280 AI is probably going to push it further into obscurity.

I was talking in terms of popularity ,every mom and pop store would stock 270 ammo . I think the 280 Rem. is a awesome round .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back