Caribou Gear

.270 or larger?

ALL it takes is a small hole in the right place. If you set on getting a different caliber look at 7mm-08.

Last edited:
270 is great! Get you some Nosler partitions and your set; especially if you think you might shoot out to 300 yards....👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 Plus you don’t want to have to chase a wounded elk mile(s). You want one shot one kill....270 with the right ammo makes the difference. 👍🏻

three videos: ✅ them out👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻

here are three more that explain 7mm vs 270 enjoy!

This is why you buy great bullets and know how/why they are built for specific purpose(s). Highly encourage this video must watch👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone. I applied for my first elk hunt today and I’m a little nervous about which caliber weapon I need to hunt with if I’m lucky and get a tag.

I have a Tikka .270 that I love and don’t mind shooting. I’m nervous that it may not be enough knock down power over 300 yards so I’m considering a 30-06 and getting a heavier stock to help with some of the recoil. I am willing to deal with a little recoil but I don’t want something that I dread shooting. Any suggestions?
I agree with the others, 270 will get er done. Plus, shooting things at 300 yards is much less exciting than getting in close and putting a good shot on an animal.

More importantly that the caliber, you’re comfortable with the gun. Being comfortable and confident is key. Make a good shot and let the bullet do its work.

270 is great! Get you some Nosler partitions and your set; especially if you think you might shoot out to 300 yards....👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 Plus you don’t want to have to chase a wounded elk mile(s). You want one shot one kill....270 with the right ammo makes the difference. 👍🏻

three videos: ✅ them out👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻

If you can find some Re 26, that 150 will exceed 3000 fps. John Barsness did it easily, with good accuracy. I, personally think that you are great right where you are, as long as the accuracy plays out.

Try some Nosler Partitions to see which your rifle likes best. The 130, 140, or 150 Partition will be plenty for an Elk. Let your rifle show you which one to use.

adding a heavier rifle stock to go elk hunting doesn’t sound like a good idea. Either caliber will kill elk. You won’t want to carry any more weight than you have to if you are in elk woods.

I killed my first elk with a 270. Just make sure you get a good bonded bullet...you don't want to try to punch through an elk shoulder with a ballistic tip. Also at 300 yards the difference between a 270 and 30-06 is almost nonexistent due to the better BC of the 270. The 30-06 will hit a little harder at closer ranges, but not enough to warrant an upgrade if you don't already have one and are already a little recoil sensitive.

Thanks y’all!!! This is very helpful. I was already planning a ton of range time, but I’m looking forward to it with my .270 and seeing which AccuBond round flys best in my weapon.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YakCountry
Back