Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

.270 or larger?

outdoordiva

Hey everyone. I applied for my first elk hunt today and I’m a little nervous about which caliber weapon I need to hunt with if I’m lucky and get a tag.

I have a Tikka .270 that I love and don’t mind shooting. I’m nervous that it may not be enough knock down power over 300 yards so I’m considering a 30-06 and getting a heavier stock to help with some of the recoil. I am willing to deal with a little recoil but I don’t want something that I dread shooting. Any suggestions?

.270 is quintessential western hunting cartridge - if you like it, keep it. If you want to move up, there are a number of options that will be flatter shooting than 30-06.

Hey everyone. I applied for my first elk hunt today and I’m a little nervous about which caliber weapon I need to hunt with if I’m lucky and get a tag.

I have a Tikka .270 that I love and don’t mind shooting. I’m nervous that it may not be enough knock down power over 300 yards so I’m considering a 30-06 and getting a heavier stock to help with some of the recoil. I am willing to deal with a little recoil but I don’t want something that I dread shooting. Any suggestions?

accuracy, shot placement, and bullet performance trumps all. Practice with what is comfortable and it will work out fine.

The .270 will serve you well. If you think that you want to shoot out to 300 and beyond, then spend more time practicing, than wondering if you have enough gun. Use a premium bullet in either 130, or 150-grain and you will be just fine. But then, if you want a new rifle.....:unsure:

Agreed, use the 270 with a well constructed bullet. Elk likely won’t know the difference. I have a tikka 06, got my son the 270. Not sure I can tell a difference on the recoil either.

In the event that there would be a shot at 300+ yards I would want the flatter shooting cartridge which I think most will agree is the .270. At a 200 yard zero mine is still almost dead on at 300 whereas my 30-06 starts to drop pretty quickly past 250 yards or so. Obviously there are variables in the rounds and rifles themselves but I would stick with the .270.

The .270 will serve you well. If you think that you want to shoot out to 300 and beyond, then spend more time practicing, than wondering if you have enough gun. Use a premium bullet in either 130, or 150-grain and you will be just fine. But then, if you want a new rifle.....:unsure:
Didn't cross my mind this was a thinly veiled attempt to justify a new rifle... In that case...I will have you know I have 2 270's. Just like tires they last longer if you rotate them......

Don’t worry a whole lot about your rifle caliber.....it will do fine....

I’m just going to drag out a little 44 magnum wheelgun...

I just want to ditto about the premium bullet. makes a difference on a big, tough animal like an elk. Go with confidence.

Elk aren’t some mysterious dragon that need magnum rounds to kill. If you shoot them in the lungs, they die.

I’ve killed a bunch of elk with a 270, some past 300 yards with no problems. I easily killed a bull at 400 yards with a 257 Roberts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back