Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

255 or 285 tires?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

So the Dodge is in need of some new sneakers. I currently have Hankook Dynapro LT265/70R17 on it.

I saw on TreadDepot that Cooper now makes a LT255/80R17 in their Discoverer ST Maxx tire. It's about 60 bucks cheaper per tire than the LT285/70R17, both E load rated.

Both are within .5" diameter wise. The 285 is 12" wide, the 255 is 10.5" wide. In theory, the 255s should get better mileage, while the 285s should deliver a little better traction on snow packed and icy roads.

Which size would you go with?

How wide are your wheels? The wider tire is going to give you a little worse wear pattern as the tires will balloon more than the narrower tire if you have stock wheels.

How wide are your wheels? The wider tire is going to give you a little worse wear pattern as the tires will balloon more than the narrower tire if you have stock wheels.

Stock Dodge rims.

Edit: I think they are 8.5".

Last edited by a moderator:
the 255s will up your freeway rpms that it would probly nagate any mpg gains,I would guess your speedo would be off by at least a few mph,,,if you go 285s it will go the other way,,,Id go 285s just for the axle clearance gain myself.

I run 285's on mine as well so there's my vote. However tall and skinny is nice for getting through the mud and for mileage.

When I was younger and I like to believe not as wise I had 38x15.5's. Terrible in the clay muck after a rain/snow and a few years of hair raising rides later I had to admit my elders were right with tall and skinny. 12's don't float too much though.

the 255s will up your freeway rpms that it would probly nagate any mpg gains,I would guess your speedo would be off by at least a few mph,,,if you go 285s it will go the other way,,,Id go 285s just for the axle clearance gain myself.

They're almost the same diameter, both 1.25-1.5 larger than stock diameter. Yes, I want some additional axle and body clearance. I thought I was going to leave some undercarriage pieces in the Ruby River valley.

I have been running the 285 70 17's for several years and like them just fine. If I could do it again I would go to the 285 75 17's to get a little more clearance and improve mileage. I originally has 245 70 17's on my truck and when I upgraded to the taller tires it helped my highway mileage quite a bit.

The 255's you mentioned are also tempting, especially if you can save $200 on the set. There are situations where tall skinny tires are better than wide tires as well. I remember my dad running 235 85 16.5's for years as a kid and they did just fine. As long as there is no quality issue I would be tempted by the 255's.

a half inch in diameter will equal over 1 and a half inches in total cicumference,so even small it could change a little either way in rotations per mile.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back